1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith's Quote fits Tracy's game perfectly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NickStarks, Apr 28, 2008.

1. NickStarks

NickStarks Member

Last night after the Mavs/Hornets game, Kenny wasn't talking about T mac, but he said something that i feel fits his game, he said something about some players are like "Students that don't have to study to get a B, if they study they can get an A. But since they are content with a B, there is no point for that extra effort". That's what i personally see in T Macs game, especially during playoff time. He hears the media criticizing his game in crunch time, saying he doesn't get to the bucket and he settles for long contested jump shots. sometimes its like he thinks "im tmac i can rise up and knock a jumper over this guy" and hes content with being a jump shooter even when hes not on....
    Maybe if he did shoulder some of the blame, he would be a better player. but since its seems year after year, he and we as fans are guilty of placing blame on the rest of the team and taking it off our superstars, when truth is there is no reason for a player of his caliber, to completely disappear in the 4th quarter the way he has.

2. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Well I'll give you 1 STAR for this thread.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is what he is, lets just move on and try to build a team around Yao with Tracy as a core part......

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Barkley was on Jim Rome today and jumper to a passionate defense of T-Mac and the Rockets in general. He was asked about Denver Nuggets and them "giving up" on games in the playoffs, and he immediately switched to talking about the Rockets, saying that they play their butts off and never quit, and then jumped to the defense of McGrady (completely out of the blue, it wasn't solicited at all), and he was pretty adamant about it. Rome let him finish, but I was rather surprised that Charles would go to bat like that for McGrady, and even more surprised that he would do it for the Rockets in general.

Anyways, I think McGrady should be gone more so because the fans want him out of here, he should go somewhere else (like Denver, or Chicago may be?) where he would actually be appreciated for his ability to carry mediocre teams into the playoff, and may be then he wouldn't have to face the Jazz in the first round anymore. Let's rebuild around Yao and see where that takes us.

Ger 'r done Morey!

5. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Tmac's talent is overrated.

For 1, he has a lazy eye, which means his 3D depth reception is not good.

No. 2, he has scoliosis, which causes his first coach predicted he won't last more than 5 years in professional basketball game. But he made through it.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

No, kenny thinks McGrady is a ball stopper. End of story.

7. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

I can't tell how much of your post is sarcasm, but his talent is Not overrated, although his "Will to Dominate" may be.

I don't know if it is because he has conditioned himself to be more careful about his body due to the frequency of injuries, but it would make me happier to see him really try to dominate the game by attacking the rim more often.

8. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

ok he has not shoot well but come on he almost average a trippel double trhough the series so yeah ... :rolleyes:

9. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Come on guys, hes still playing injured with that shoulder/knee. Remember at the beginning of the season when he was leading the league in scoring and also rebounding 7 and dishing 6. The Tracy McGrady your seeing now is only 70% healthy.

10. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Kobe, Nash, and Dirk all has lazy eyes.

11. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

This describes Tmac in a nutshell. If he set his mind to being the best player in the NBA, he can do it. Deep down within Tmac is something special, but we may never see it

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Didn't you read Harry Potter? That's Tracy's "mad" eye. He uses it to see Steve Novak over his shoulder.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think any opinion that says that T-Mac is lazy or not putting in the effort outside the game is ignorant and not worth debating. Yes, there are issues with his on-court play, but who are we to say what he could do versus what he has done? He gets hot, he gets cold, but just because he can't miss a shot sometimes doesn't mean that he should be making all of them all the time or else he's not working hard enough. Some people are just inconsistent and that's the way it will always be. His free throw woes may be a lack of putting in the time, but it just as well could be something psychological, as we have all seen throughout his tenure here that T-Mac is not the most durable of people mentally.

I don't want to be a T-Mac apologist so I will say this: if I thought we could get a better player or be a better team if we traded him, I would do it. But we can't, not even close to it. What he adds to our team in terms of offensive firepower and ball distribution is what makes us a playoff team; look what happens when Head enters the game for him. I don't know if he's a star or superstar or MVP for our team or whatever, but right now he's all we've got, and from what I saw in these playoffs, we can beat the Jazz with him leading us. Any judgments beyond that I will leave to Morey this offseason. 28 is not old. Let's get a PG, a backup SG to replace Head, and another athletic big man and see how Yao/T-Mac fare next year. Hell, maybe we'll be smart enough to sit Yao half the year with phantom injuries the way Shaq used to do or Celtics did this year.

14. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

I remeber someone else once posted a long essay about talent and effort. Yeah, T-Mac has the talent. The only reason why people keep bashing him is that he has accomplished nothing meaningful in the playoffs. This is professional sports. If You win, you get everything. If you loose, you also get everything, just in another sense.

But I still have confidence in the Yao-T-Mac duo. Guys, this season is out of reach anyway. You and I both know this when Yao went down. After all, this Rockets team without Yao have already shown great promise. We still have plenty of time.

15. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

That goes for Vince Carter as well, his cousin. It runs in the family. Sometimes it's not so great to have too much talent. They get spoiled... :rolleyes:

16. feihung316

feihung316 Member

the fans here don't blame their superstars? are u kidding me?

17. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Hmm, I see a player who still hasn't recovered from a stretch of injuries he had that encompassed many years.

I'll give him until next season - IMO if he sees that his game isn't coming back he'll retire. He loves basketball regardless of what people think. I think it bothers him as much as it bothers us seeing him not playing at the level he used to be at.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Will said it best weeks ago...Tmac has had it come easy to him his whole life, and rarely had to work at it, now at this point in his career as things start to wane, he needs to work at it.....

If he won't it will not be pretty.

Kenny's comment certainly applies to Tmac's career to date.

DD

19. NickStarks

NickStarks Member

What about Gerald Green he could be a B student without trying, but somehow gets D's.........

As for T Mac as long as he is a Rocket i will continue to support him, i just think he needs to stop placing blame on everybody else, look at his faults and improve...... but nothing in his past says he will do this....

20. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

What do you mean he never had to work for it? WHY do people make comments like that. Have you seen how much McGrady has grown as a player during his time in the league? People initially thought he wouldn't amount to anything - overrated. He worked his ass off to put up one of the most historic seasons of all time - he worked his ass off to come back from injuries over the year and still be considered a superstar player.

There's a difference between being a LAZY player and having your BODY break down on you. Some of the comments you make about McGrady makes it blatantly obvious you have an agenda when it comes to him.