1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith's miss and 3 horrendous calls...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 25, 2011.

1. TheresTheDagger

1993 Western Conference Semi-finals. Rockets @ Sonics Game 7.

Those of you who watched this game already know that Kenny Smith missed a wide open 3 as time expired to win the game sending it into overtime.

In overtime, the Rockets suffered from 3 horrendous calls that are too much to overcome and lose.

Imagine for a moment the calls are made correctly and Houston goes on to win this game. We have a western conference finals against Phoenix who as we all know the Rockets had much playoff success against in the 90's. Suppose we get past that?

We have an NBA finals dream matchup between Olajuwon's Rockets and Jordan's Bulls at the height of both of their careers. A series that the Rockets definitely could have won with Maxwell guarding Jordan and Olajuwon prowling the paint. As it was, the Rockets were 2-0 vs. the Bulls that year.

If all the above happens...does Jordan retire? Instead of a Bulls first 3 peat do we instead get a Rockets 3-peat? Did we miss out on an epic rivalry for the ages because of Kenny Smith and 3 horrendous calls?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ax9n6JJgq-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. victorx91

victorx91 Member

If this did happen, Hakeem would be in NBA 2K11.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

LOL, on that last call, the ref standing next to the play (2 feet away), points to the ref across the court to make the call, makes no sense

4. houseofglass21

Man, how much was that ref getting paid off to make those wack calls?

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Thanks for ruining my night. Thanks for reminding me what happened. Just when I thought I was able to forget that part of my life. :mad:

6. hairyme

hairyme Member

Ugh. Thanks for churning up the bad memories. I hated the Sonics back then... but Kemp and Payton made the best dunk+3pointer combo in NBA Jam, so they were hard to resist.

As to the "what if" topic, being a total homer, I fully believe that a Hakeem-led Rockets would have beaten MJ's Bulls, but alas, we'll never know! It's sad to say, but our championships may very well remain a footnote for the '90s... well, for the average NBA fan at least.

*sigh*

7. Burko

Burko Member

Kenny Smith didnt ruin anything, the refs blew those calls badly.

Look at the fans, the pressure they put on the refs was amazing.

Kind of like how a home town boxer gets the benefit of the close rounds purely by virtue of the fact that every punch landed is greeted with a cheer.

Would have been nice to have got the 3-peat, but the NBA didnt want it, Jordan was the golden boy and they knew we matched up well against the Bulls.

By the way, this video makes me miss these days......

8. Kim

Kim Member

I'm still comforted by the back-to-back championships, and Seattle losing their team. And Jordan retiring probably had a lot to do with his dad being murdered.

1 person likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

First bad call would be hard for anyone. The last 2, deplorable.

I used to love those telecast when I was younger. It was like they were broadcasting from inside the crowd; The fans almost completely drown out everything they are saying.

10. lean

lean Member

The worst thing about this is there's no team in Seattle anymore. Look how passionate those fans are. They got robbed of their team, so if "fate" or whatever you want to call it helped them out a little that night, so be it. We got our titles, of course we will never know how a Jordan vs. Hakeem NBA Finals would have gone. What a shame.

11. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

dude, you know the real reason why we didn't beat the sonics was that we got majorly screwed vs the Spurs in the final game of the year that determined home court advantage.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199304250SAS.html

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/millennium_index.html

(April 25, 1993) The Rockets needed to beat the Spurs to clinch the No. 2 seed in the 1993 Western Conference playoffs. They should have won, but a blown call gave them a 119-117 loss and home-court advantage for just the first round. The Rockets were leading 109-107 in the fourth quarter, when David Robinson tipped in a miss to send the game to overtime. Replays later showed the tip was after time had expired. In the 1993 Western Conference Semifinals, the Rockets lost 4-3 to the Seattle SuperSonics with the home team winning every game. Several Rockets players pointed to the San Antonio game as the inspiration for their 15-0 start to the 1993-94 season.

12. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Refs suck rectum and they alwsys will. We shouldnt rely on them, its upto the payers to make the shots. If Kenny Smith hit that shot then the refs rectum suckage for that game wouldnt in this convo.

13. pge71188

pge71188 Member

man that was just gross. ugh. Always the rockets...:(

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I can't get the video to play, but does it still include the pass that Seattle threw out of bounds along the left side, about 3 feet over Otis Thorpe's head, that was ruled out of bounds on Thorpe for passing over his airspace?

15. mogrod

mogrod Member

This right there goes along with the point I was going to make. The calls were horrible and one could argue that they got screwed. BUT, going through all of that is probably a big reason as to why they had the heart and resolve to conquer everything were put up against in two straight championship runs after that.

You could argue that going through that Seattle game 7 debacle, and even the horrible call in San Antonio earlier, made them a championship team.

16. BigBull17

BigBull17 Member

IF we go one to win the title that year, then people wouldn't wave off our next two. It would legitimize us tot he nation as a whole.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Those were terrible but the biggest crime was Game 6 of the 1997 WC Finals when Karl Malone tackled Drexler to free Stockton for the game winner.

18. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Can some1 up the video of the blown call of the last game vs. San Antonio ?

I have no doubt in my mind the refs got paid / had a bet on Seattle and making the series go 7 games is of course more profit.

There are many more obvious blown calls and decisions against the Rockets in some playoff series. This is one of them, but I also remember a few during the 1990 / 1991 Lakers series, 1993 Clippers series, 1994 Jazz series (shotclock and tight calls on Maxwell while Stockton getting away with everything), 1994 Knicks finals series (physical play that was clearly in favour of NY and got away with).

Olajuwon was also heavily disfavored by the refs compared to other "stars". Many blocks that were legit he received fouls / goaltending that were clean.

The Nuggets got mugged in their 1994 series vs. Jazz and should've been in the WCF against the Rockets. Can you imagine that series, Mutombo vs. Olajuwon ?

The NBA has been and always will be a league full of suspicion, favoratism, blatant giving a series to a team (2002 Lakers) etc. Do you really think MJ and his Bulls won those 6 championships without the clear help of the league (Stern and his minions) ? Do you really think the Lakers and Celtics championships are because they had such better teams ?

The flack the Rockets receive for their back-to-back championships is beyond childish, especially from Phil Jackson who basically was handed a few of his rings with Chicago and LA.

That's why the 15-0 start, 22-1 start, 15 game winning streaks in 92-93, beating the Bulls 5-1 between 90-91 and 92-93 and the 22 game winning streak are so much more worth than a championship.

The 22-1 start is still the best ever, especially if you remember the game @ SA where the refs did everything to keep San Antonio in the game. Thorpe almost fought JR Reid in that game with the tight calls on him and Olajuwon. If it weren't for Maxwell, that game would've been all Spurs.

1 person likes this.
  19. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Yup, it sure does. Although I believe from the video it was called """out of bounds"""" on Horry.

Holy Christ that's a awful call. They just progressively worse in that video. Call 1 is understandable, Call 2 is crap, Call 3 is absolutely ****ing garbage.

20. Good Times

Good Times Member

I remember the Rockets were just getting into a groove finally taking the lead and slowly running with it in the 4th. Then all of a sudden the lights go out in the stadium and there's a 5-10min break to fix the power. That's when it all when down hill. If not for that, I think we would have won the series.