1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kenny Smith] West Teams Could Face Tough Decisions in Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Pun, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ks-westfallout040808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Doesn't really say much about the Rockets but here it is.

2. foo82

foo82 Member

Well, I guess when you have nothing to say about the Rockets, you can always fall back to "health", even when it is irralvent to the topic at hand.

3. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

ummm point guard help is obviously a tough decision.

4. AXG

AXG Member

They'll need a backup center if Deke retires

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This season has shown us that we've been able to stay afloat without Yao. No big surprise, all the best teams have to be able to maintain a certain level of discipline without their stars. Look at Boston and how just having Garnett has changed their expectation level to where even when the Big Three don't play, the role players still step up and cream most other teams.

My point is, why not make up some injury and have Yao rest the first half of the year so he'll be fresh come playoff time??? Shaq did it all the time and it didn't hurt their championship chances. The point isn't to be healthy in the beginning, it's to be healthy and gelling by the end.

Just my two cents.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

They need a back up Center even if he dosen't retire. When Mutombo is on the court it is like 4 against five in the offensive sets.Have you looked at his stats lately? I know he is agreat personality to have on the teambut shouldn't he be a travelling team manager and not an active player? :p

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Possibly Tracy McGrady might take less money and have an extended contract! The reason that I suggest this is because he is a great playmaker and passer, far and above anything we have had in many a year. Also look at his horrible shooting percentages of late, he could still be able to make some great shots and possibly improve his efficiency! :p

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Since he has questionable motor I would not extend him to early.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I wouldn't be mad if this team could play .600 ball or better with Yao sitting out and nursing a "chronic injury" of some sort for the first 40-45 games of the season.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I think with Yao and a healthy Landry this team would have as good a shot as anyone else to win the championship right now. I'm not saying we shouldn't work to improve in the offseason but i think internal growth from scola and landry, another training camp with this offense and a couple tweaks, possibly to pg, we should be one of the favorites heading into the new season.

I have to agree with kenny here, health is the biggest question mark on this team.

not trying to write off this season but realistically i'm just pulling for a first-round upset.

11. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

the ROx will need a backup for Yao, Tmac and a better PG.

12. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The real question is can this team win a championship with Tmac and Yao leading the team. As I've said before, I've much man love for them, however, I don't think the two of them together gets us over the hump. I think next year is the last year for these two.

CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Would one prefer being GM of one of the (this year) Top 10 teams (knowing there are two or more teams, quality teams, facing a May date in Jersey)

or

GM of an East squad where the leap from grotesque to greatest is a summer's possibility (particularly if you're best buds with the GreatGM K-Mc)

?

I think it would be grand fun to be GM in the LEastern because the impact is so much more palpable.

'The Jet' is using his afterburners for the insight. If the Spurs rePeat are they free from summer tweaking with injuries and age staring them in the eyes?

Can the Suns feel 'set' when their biggest asset is their most injury prone while their greatest asset is irreplacable, and getting older?

Who trusts the Nugs or the Warriors?

C'mon, Kenny, earn your 'writer;s fee' from yahoo.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I still think the Rockets are one good scorer away from a title...just one scorer someone who get 14 to 23 ppg on any given night.

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

While that is a little bit of a concern, I think we have enough powerful and hard-nosed (if undersized) PF's to fill in for Yao for just 10-15 mpg.

The most important issue is the backcourt... and hopefully a healthy Stevie and developing Brooks will solve that issue. :D

16. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I think we're just a healthy roster away from a title. Adding "just" an 18 ppg guy is no small feat. Anyways, I think Scola is already developing into a more-than-adequate scoring option.

17. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Resting Yao for 45 games is silly, just have him play less minutes per game. It's worked wonders for Spurs Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli. They always look fresh during the playoffs and have suffered way less injuries (barring this year obviously) then most superstars. Popovich isn't stupid and plays his stars 40+ mins where it really counts. McGrady plays WAYYY to many minutes for his frame (way skinny for his tall frame, especially his toothpick legs :p )

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

3rd scorer...

the assests we gain last offseason and the midseason trade, we thought we'd at least get one more scorer

mike james = bust.. pathetic... horrible...

steve francis = injured :(

aaron brooks = rookie, may never become a scorer type of role player

carl landry = a rookie that can finish very well, but can't create shots

bonzi wells = can create but misses layups and is a horrible shooter

the iffies...

bobby jackson = a good scorer, but his legs are too old, can be hot for 1 quarter and go ice cold the next.

scola = has nice moves, but in some games, he scores most of his points off of put backs, easy layups from great passes by mainly tmac.

of course, i would love to upgrade the pg spot, but don't see anyone that's any reasonable (able) upgrade except blake, but he is only a lil bit better than rafer.

19. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I think that will be our best option in the draft. Joey Dorsey might be available and I think he could be a serviceable backup. His game reminds me a lot of Ben Wallace. Tyler Hansbro may also be available late in the first, but I don't think he is big enough to help the Rockets out, although I think he will be a nice Battier type role player in the pros.

20. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I can't believe anybody still thinks Stevie Franchise will be a difference maker for this team. We should draft another big (Joey Dorsey) in the draft and try to sign a legitimate scoring swingman to spell Tracy. I'm not sure who that swing man might be. Any ideas?