1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith and Barkley say Rockets are not better without TMac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Feb 27, 2009.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both Barkley and Kenny Smith were full of ish last night before the game. I so wanted to see them have to eat their words after the game was over, but alas TNT went straight to the Lakers/Spurs.

Kenny Smith should start every broadcast by thanking Olajuwon, because without him nobody would care what Smith had to say about anything.

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

It's all relevant. If Tracy had his head on straight, and was at 100%, then heck yes we would be better, no doubt. The fact of the matter is Tracy hasn't been 100% in awhile, and he hasnt had his die hard basketball mindset all year. For that, we are better off without him. Maybe next season he will come back healthy and ready to play some professional ball... maybe.

3. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

If tmac was 100% healthy and be willing to have a reduced role like come off the bench. I think he's not that great of a compliment to Yao as he once was in the JVG era. He'd be better playing that 6 man role. That would make our bench 2X as deep. Most importantly, we need a closer at the end of games and it showed when we barely won against portland.

4. jteg25

jteg25 Member

ya, how teams were sagging off of rafer was so ridiculous. he would hurt us with his misses this year more than his makes. now true enough they can do that to lowry cuz his outshide shot is weak, but atleast he has the speed to blow by his guy and finish at the rim.

5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

The funniest thing was hearing Reggie talk about how the Rockets were missing a guy who could take over at the end of games now.

LOf'ingL... Dude must have not seen our last three playoff series.

And what's up with the team being better on paper with McGrady somehow excusing all of his antics? It's kind of hard to field an elite team with a $20M hole in the budget.

6. Crab_Dribble

Crab_Dribble Member

Just take whatever they say and figure out what the opposite of that is to find the actual truth.

7. Seth

Seth Member

Charles and Kenny just like to say the contrary on every subject, i remember Charles saying that we were playing better WO T-Mac a few games ago.

The Rafer trade was made for two reasons, he was quicly loosing trade value, had a very big contract for his performances, and in the west is better to have a young faster PG who can attack the rim.

Rafer was good to handle the ball, but it was clearly not enough to win, with the trade we try something different and in the mean time we save money.

8. bjshot

bjshot Member

Chaerles always believe in star power. I believe it too, specially in playoff. A healthy or even a semi-healthy t-mac (15-5-5) will help the team.

I also strongly agree the statement that the owner/management are looking forward to future. But I think Les/morey made a big mistake to give up Rafer. On one hand, morey/les did very well to spend money smartly. On the other hand, many times I think they are too greedy, just see how they deal with landry/deke/rafer this season. This may backfire someday.

9. bj3175

bj3175 Member

What you are saying is why the Rockets have problems with Tracy. He has not bought into the system

10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

they hate the rockets, it's beyond absurd. we are way better without t-mac. even when he was going good in the past i always felt he carried too much of the offensive burden which took the rest of the team out of their games. he is a ball stopper extraordinaire. good riddance and go rox.

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Yeah, I am hoping Brooks will mature a little more in the starting PG position. His shooting is not nearly as hot as it once was. And although he didn't have turnovers last night, he gets in trouble quite a bit and makes some poor/rushed decisions. Overall though, it looks promising to me.

12. EssTooKayTD

The bad version of TMac people hate is very prevalent in Artest. You guys see that right? Except Ron's playmaking ability is vastly inferior and his shot selection is way worse. The only thing he's doing better is allowing Yao to be option #1 and of course playing defense every possession instead of just against another star player.

13. mikedunn08

mikedunn08 Member

Yea I was thinking the same thing.. I would be upset too at the world if I lost my job for 6 weeks, then get it back and now has to go spend time with DMX in jail for a few days. Charles Barkley is just there for the ratings! Rockets are much better offensively without TMAC in.

14. rocketsmetalspd

I will respectfully disagree with you on TMac being our closer. TMac was not good at closing out games in the playoffs. He has a great playoff stats of scoring but in crunch time when he it counts he did not deliever.

15. harryrms

harryrms Member

After seeing Lowry for a few games, I don't feel bad about giving up
    Rafer. I'd rather split the minute between Aaron and Kyle and believe
    it better combo than Rafer/Aaron.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

gary payton is right. we are better without tmac this year, b/c he's INJURED. every team is better without injured players. that's just common sense.

but barkley is right. if tracy is healthy, there's simply no way we're not better with him. reggie miller stated his reasons. what he can do in the playoffs individually is self-explanatory. but he's injured this year so he can't do that -> we're better without him.

17. EssTooKayTD

I really think that is due to his lack of trust in his teammates in the past.

I believe he would have trusted his teammates this year. But...doesn't matter because he won't have that chance.

18. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

He needs to trust his teammates to attack the basket and try to draw fouls?

19. leeaser

leeaser Member

Barkley needs to take a breath-alizer before he gets on the air every Thursday. Rockets are better without McGrady especially the last two years McGrady. Yao is the leader and everyone just needs to get on his shoulders and make a run to the Championship. Come on...AI took Mutumbo to the finals, I think we're better than they were.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he averages 8.8 ft attempts in the playoffs. he gets to the basket just enough brother.

if he was healthy enough to play with the talent the team has this year, i'm sure he'll be fresh enough late in games to take over, unlike previous years where he has to do everything for 3 quarters and then be expected to take over.

like dwayne wade said v. the magic after he scored freakin' 50 points, one guy cannot do it all, even when you're at your best.