1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny just said the Rockets may have 1 less championship if they had to play seattle in 94-95

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jgreen91, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Losing Thorpe in 94 is what hurt us the most against Seattle. Barkley/Willis eventually gave us the advantage but Horry wasn't cutting it at the 4. Not against that team.

2. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I dont know what the big deal is. He is absolutely right. Seattle was the one team I remember Houston always having problems with. I was fairly confident the Rockets could beat any team (including MJ's Bulls) but not the Sonics.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There is no doubt the Sonics early exits in 94/95 helped us, but they couldn't get out of the early rounds -- there is no reason to say we couldn't have beat them in the playoffs when the pressure was on.

The Barkley move showed though showed that we did need a little more help to get by the Sonics.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I agree with him, Seattle was a very tough match up for the Rockets then, had become our playoffs graveyard. I knew when we bypassed them good things were going to happen and they did.

5. Karolik

Karolik Member

There you have it.

Who would you rather believe?

The homer fans, or the player himself who played on those teams.

I know what clutchfans would choose.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

aren't you a member of clutchfans?

what? you didn't join cause you a fan of the home team? or have knowledge of the home team?

7. tinman

Supporting Member

we all know know... 'we' meaning us Rockets fans who witnessed it

brother

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ax9n6JJgq-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

yep the same way Bulls had lost against Houston in 97, if Jazz didnt cheat on the last play (Malone bear hug).
    Its about matchups, Bulls always played in the Finals against a bad center (Seattle, Jazz 2 times, Suns).
    Also I think in 93 if the rockets played against Chicago in the Finals then the rockets would have won against the Bulls, check the regular season record: Houston 2-0 Chicago.

Did you see what Hakeem did against the MVP David Robinson in the '95 playoffs? Imagine what would've happen if Olajuwon played against Luc Longley, Will Perdue, Bill Wellington?

So yeah, its about matchups, that saved the Bulls to play against Hakeem and the Rockets, and then winning less championships.

9. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

I would agree with Kenny's comments. In the 93 and 96 playoffs (before and after our two championships) it wasthe Sonics who eliminated the Rockets in the West semis both times. I remember taking the 96 loss particularly bad. Because the Bulls three peated before our two titles I thought we were destined for it as well. I remember ripping all my Sonics basketball cards after they swept us. Outside of the two titles, finally beating the Sonics in the 97 playoffs might be my greatest Rockets moment.

10. Mariachi ROCKET

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He did not until '95-96, when he could no longer jump hook due to injury and his decline began. Seattle being Hakeem's cryptonite is a huge misconception, b/c it was far from the case in his '92-95 heyday.

1 person likes this.
  12. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Spot on man. MATT MALONEY

13. dragician

dragician Member

No doubt about that.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

great sig

15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I think Kenny is especially cognizant of the 90s Rockets being a bad matchup with the Sonics, because the matchup at the PG position was the most lopsided part of it. With all due respect to Kenny, Gary Payton used to routinely destroy him at both ends of the floor. It was a bit painful to watch.

16. Rickem

Rickem Member

If LA beat Seattle in that 1995 first round, then the Sonics probably wouldn't have gotten past the Spurs in round 2. Way too many scenarios for a Rockets-Sonics WCF that season.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

great 74th post brother
    defender of clutch city

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

... he could be right. The Heat might not have won in 06 if..... the Rockets might have won in '05 if.... the Rockets might have won in '08 if....

Speculation is worth its weight in gold (which is zero).

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

After game 6 win in houston the rockets lost 16 straight games to seattle. Thats what made them trade for barkley. What he said is nothing more than what any logical rockets fan alreadt knew.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I still blame the ugly uniforms that Les Alexander put on the team.

Les would make Santa Claus wear a clown outfit.