1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny finally poses the KG question that's been on my mind for years...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigermission1, May 3, 2008.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

FINALLY someone in the national media sidesteps the KG love fest and asks the question that's been on people's minds for years now. Kenny posed the question for me, "can you be a superstar and not be able to take over the offense?" According to Kenny, KG is probably the only superstar that comes to mind who can't impose his will offensively, who can't "get you 40" when you need it.

I've been saying for years that KG is probably the best all-around player in history of the game, and a sure shot HOF. That being said, can you really mention his name in the same breath as the Jordans, Magics, Birds, Barkleys if the guy's offensive arsenal is on par with a Scottie Pippen? Again, a great player, not necessarily a superstar.

Of course, it depends entirely on how you define "superstar", but I think it's a legitimate point that Kenny raised, and one that has been lurking in the back of my brain for years now.

2. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

He's not really a post player, but is a great rebounder and brings some attitude to the team. Not a bad defender either.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Many people say that is Rasheed Wallace but he is too unselfish to show it. I think being unselfish is also Kg's problem too.

4. tigermission1

I don't know about unselfish, KG's strength is his weakness: consistency. He's a consistent 20, 10, and 5 freak, but at the same time he isn't the type that can carry a team offensively and dominate the game, never was.

I just think he's a different type of superstar, he has his strengths and his limitations. But I do know this for sure: KG was born to be a second banana to a dominant offensive player. He's 'old faithful', you know what you're getting from him, but by the same token you know what you're not getting, so he's definitely predictable.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

He's the best second fiddle to compliment a true superstar in the game.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

KG = a poor man's Tim Duncan

Rocket River

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

I agree but I still think he's a little too unselfish, but I know one thing if they lose to The Hawks tomorrow his Rep is going to dig down even lower. I know he got to the WC finals that one year but if they lose tomorrow the media will be dogging him big time.

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I disagree with the thought that he's a second fiddle or a complimentary player. What he needs is an aggressive scorer that is going to take over at times during the game, because he seems unwilling to do so. He's always trying to get other players involved - even early in the game - but there are times when it won't work.

I do not think this makes him a second fiddle, because you can't ignore the things he does extremely well. Look at the Celtics - He is the leader of the clubhouse and the emotional center of that team - his intensity and focus really drove that team to their great season. On defense, he's a monster - that Boston team played such ludicrously good defense and it's largely down to his presence. He's a guy who can take over a game defensively, and how many superstars can say that? LeBron James is an undoubted superstar - but how many times have you ever seen him dominate a game from the defensive side of the ball?

So, I don't think he needs to be a compliment to anyone. What he needs is a guy who compliments him - a wing scorer that can put up big numbers and is willing to take over down the stretch. Because he's still going to be the emotional leader of that team, he's still going to be the guy who runs things defensively, he just needs someone who can explode for a dozen points in a couple minutes - or will take over the offense when the game runs down.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

KG just hasn't be successful in the playoffs, like I said in another thread, are stars like Dominique, Maravich, and O.Robertson....were all pretty unsucessful in the playoffs are the any less of players.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't have to score 40 to be a SUPERSTAR. KG is most certainly that....

11. peterlake144

peterlake144 Member

Oscar won a ring with the Bucks...

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think Magic Johnson could score 40 points at will. You don't have to be a dominant scorer to be a superstar if your overall game is clearly among the elite.

I think Garnett is more like Magic than Hakeem type of superstar. And Magic is less than half the defensive player Garnett is.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually that's been a knock on KG for years here in the Twin Cities that he couldn't take over a game in the 4th.

14. Tuan

Tuan Member

Magic didnt score a lot of points, but when he wanted to score he could score. That is the major difference between Magic and KG. Magic was also a pure point guard, so it was natural for him to look for his teammates. KG isnt even close to Magic in the way he gets other players involved. Like I stated in another thread, I think KG is one of the most overrated/over hyped players in the league.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That's a silly measure for a superstar. Tim Duncan can't take over games offensively whenever he wants to, and I think that I can legitimately argue that he's been the best player of the '00s. No one would claim that Timmah D isn't a superstar. KG is a legitimate DPOY, he rebounds as well as anyone, and he's a versatile offensive player who does a lot of things well. What Kenny Smith is trying to claim is that, to be a superstar, a player must be a either a dominant low post threat or able to break down your opponent off the dribble. That leaves out a lot of great players, starting with Bill Russell.

16. tigermission1

No but he did take on more of an offensive role when the Lakers needed it, and hit some big shots that everyone still remembers. KG just doesn't have that in his repertoire, Magic in his prime could carry a team offensively if he had to, he just never did playing with a number of Hall of Famers on legendary Lakers teams.

As I said, he's just a different type of superstar. I think what Kenny was referring to is the presumed 'bias' by the fans that a superstar has to be an offensive juggernaut, someone capable of carrying an otherwise average roster to the playoffs. KG has struggled doing even that over his last few years in Minny.

17. tigermission1

Say what?!!! :confused: Tim Duncan 'cruises' on offense because he can, but the guy has averaged over 30 ppg in entire playoff series. I guess you must have missed that.

Tim Duncan is twice the offensive player KG is, he's very much capable of scoring big numbers when need be. He just has the luxury of not needing to with Manu and Parker around as of late.

Bad, bad analogy...

18. Tuan

Tuan Member

I disagree. Maybe at this stage in his career TD can no longer score at will, but in his prime, he was a dominant inside force offensively and defensively. He was not on the same level offensively as Dream, but he was still very good.

KG, on the other hand, has never dominated any playoff games. Can you remember the last time he took over a single game? If you are a franchise type player, there is no question you have to have the ability to carry your team during stretches. In my opinion, KG is a taller version of Pippen.

19. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

KG just doesn't have the playoff expirience for that.

Personally, I think KG may be the most polished offensive big man in the league now...you guys are seriously underrating him if you devalue him based on the fact that he can't "bring you 40" on a pretty regular basis. There's not many if any low post players these days that can...(Yao for example hasn't scored over 40 in about two years...yet he's the premier offensive center in the league.). Only two come to mind...Dirk and Amare. Dirk has the benefit of having an entire offensive scheme built for him. Amare has the benefit of the best (or now second-best) PG in the NBA.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

When KG starts getting triple doubles by the bucket load like Magic, then you can start saying he plays more like Magic.

Magic controlled the game in more ways then KG could.