1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Atkinson interviewed for Rockets HC position this week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Oct 7, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What?

Thanks that lets me know talking to you would be fruitless if you think coaching experience means nothing.

How idiotic is that?

bmelo likes this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

Kevin McHale had "coaching experiehce" too, how did it turn out for him?

3. hakeemthagreat

A conman that turned a whole franchise around in the less than 3 years? He basically changed the whole culture in GS. Give me a weirdo who wins games over a coach like Atkinson, who hasn't won anything

4. hakeemthagreat

Did all the experience Atkinson had translate to wins? Because Jackson WON games regardless of how he was perceived

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

He didn’t change the culture is GS. They won because of the players they had on their roster. The Warriors also immediately were better after he left. He had an opportunity to coach a team to multiple titles and he couldn’t do it... instead he alienated every one he worked with, he tried to get the players to go to his church and even his own assistants wanted nothing to do with him.

He knows basketball, but that isn’t enough when you are a conman weirdo.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The Warriors went from 51 wins with Jackson to 67 wins the next year

D-rock, Rudyc281 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  7. hakeemthagreat

The Warriors were HORRIBLE before Mark Jackson got there. Coaching young talent while teaching them how to win is changing the culture. The team instantly became a playoff team and improved every year Jackson was there. He's a great coach. The Rockets need a similar culture change

8. hakeemthagreat

How many games did they win before Jackson?

Little Bit and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah actually. Atkinson got an under-talented team to the playoffs fueled by a top 10 defense while leading the league in pace. credit to Jackson for turning a lotto team into a playoff team as well. however, one of them is highly regarded and the other one was mired by scandal and distrust.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Dragging their feet with this one. I’m expecting some no name 1st time cheap coach.

amaru likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think they won more games/better winning percentage before Jackson got there. What really was different his first year was that Klay was a rookie and Steph was in his 2nd year, I think. They weren't getting starter minutes. They added Draymond and Bogut in his 2nd year and Klay and Curry really stepped up to starter minutes. I remember reading an article that most of the time it was Mike Malone who was calling up plays for the team one of those early years.