1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenneth Faried to sign with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jan 18, 2019.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

problem with ennis is he actually has a player option for next season, so if even if he continues to suck we'll still have to pay him again

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We got our model back.

From Chandsome to Fariedsome.

[​IMG]

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Who plays Center?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Daryl Morey just got us a player almost for free who signed a $50M contract just a few years ago, and who is still only 29 and has played successfully with James Harden before.

Best GM in the business.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he's not played well since a few years now though.

but funny thing is mrs. pippendagimp only knows about 3 current nba players -- lebron, harden, and faried. she just happened to watch a couple team usa games with me a few summers ago and could always recognize him by the hair.

this morning she was very excited for harden... "this is great, that manimal is going to dunk a lot for harden!" :D:D:D

6. bmelo

bmelo Member

Okay i see you Daryl trying to buy me back, nice frontcourt addition is a nice start. I really hope we will sign some dope wing in buyout market for our MLE

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Glad it's Mrs. Pippendagimp and not the original Mrs. Pippen Quitten.

hakeem94 and pippendagimp like this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I thought he was completely done, but he had a good game against the Bucks on December 29th '18 with 21 points 10 rebounds and a good block. I hope Faried is healthy and fit. We can't afford another Brandon Wright and another Joe Johnson. If he is healthy, he can get run the floor, get some rebounds and maybe 6 points a night, I guess. I don't expect any defense from him, but it's hard to get all that from a buyout player.

Welcome to the Rockets, Kenneth. We want you to be successful in Houston.

Corrosion and hakeem94 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would have been nice to get Chris Paul at age 28 and Faried at age 24-25 ish but beggars can't be choosers.

burnshroom, bmelo and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Depends on if he's playing the 4 or the 5.

As a center … he fits better than a forward.

I'm not gonna complain , it was a necessary pickup and one I really didn't expect and he didn't cost you an asset …

Defensive limitations …. sure , that's a known.

#190 Corrosion, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  11. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

when can he play

12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

One way he will contribute immediately is rim running. Faried is still fast. I believe he is faster than Clint. He will receive several of those “throw ahead passes” from Harden after rebounds. Opposing centers won’t be able to run with him. He running with Harden will be fantastic.

Faried is an out dated 4 mainly due to his lack of 3 pt shooting, but he can be a new age back up 5. He’s fast, and he can still jump. I mean really jump. He has always been a ferocious rebounder and never cheats you on energy or effort. I also like that he has a chip on his shoulder, and has everything to prove. He’s hungry.

He does not fit what must nba teams do at the 4 spot. He will fit what D’Antoni wants to do at the 5 offensively. I’d like to see him with Jeff B before I pass judgement on his defense. The Rockets are outside the box on both ends of the floor, and his energy and effort may prove to be useful on the defensive end. His rebounding is sorely needed, and I think he will become another fan favorite in no time. His hustle, speed and athleticism will delight fans as soon as he hits the floor.

Considering our current depth issue, I think this is a great signing for the minimum. He is healthy and eager. He still believes he should be a starter in the nba. He will work hard to try to prove it. I think he will be fun to watch.

Keep it going Morey. Rivers/Faried > Basically anyone you added this past offseason.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

TF and Morey should have signed House to a guaranteed contract too. Melo should be waived now, to make way for Kenneth. House should replace MCW. If Nunnley plays well, keep him too, instead of Ennis. The Rockets should be able to get a future 2nd rounder for Ennis. We need insurance for Eric Gordon. Hart shouldn't be too hard to move. Tyler Zeller is unsigned, he can take his place.

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i agree with this. he can rim run, catch lobs, and rebound. with his speed, under jeff B he will be an asset on rotations defensively. however he will not be able to guard most centers in the post. he will give more rim protection than tucker or nene though.

hopefully he's still got nba talent. if so, that would put us up to 7 nba players on the roster when fully healthy. i'd like to point out to DM that if we can add 2 more nba players to this nba team that would be called "a rotation". adding more nba players after that would be considered "depth." here's hoping!

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's a good question …. Rivers and Farried will be Non Bird FA's meaning the team can retain them , above the cap up to 120% of their current salary

Farried - 7 year vet - $2,029,463 x1.2 = 2,435,355
    Rivers - 6 year vet - $1,893,447 x1.2 = 2,272,136

If they will take those deals , you don't have to use the MLE on them …. Question is if that is enough (assuming you want to keep them , I think Rivers is a no-brainer after how well he's fit in , Farried , yet to be seen if we would want him back.

The wildcard is House who's a 2 year vet making his min $1,512,601 which he has already rejected. I think it would have been a wise move by Morey to at least offer him ~$5ook over the minimum on that 3 year deal. He probably takes that rather than fighting about free agency.

So he'll be an RFA …. and we'll be able to match with non-bird rights up to $1,815,121. Anything above that and we have to dip into the MLE and assuming we stay above the tax line , anything above the T-MLE we cant match … Its highly unlikely they drop below the tax line with $139.2m in salary accounting for only 10 players - GG , Rivers , House and Farried no in that figure.

So its possible they can bring everyone back …. question is if the players they want to return will accept 120% non bird raises.

Either way , I'd bet the bottom of the roster is filled by guys on min deals again. They wont want to go any deeper into the tax.
    I also wouldn't be shocked if they didn't spend the MLE in the offseason and held onto it much like this year …. use part of it if a player shakes loose in the buy out market , otherwise unspent.

#195 Corrosion, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. omgTHEpotential

Hakeem-lite.

amaru likes this.
  17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I’m starting to come around on Zeller as another “scrap heap” option. I hope something can be done about House. We definitely need him for depth at the 3. I have no idea what Nunnley can bring long term, but if he is a better fit than Ennis then so be it. If they could get a second for Ennis that would great. The roster is better today than it was in October.

It feels like a great story is about to be written. A story about how Harden was able to lead a depleted roster filled with former castoffs and plagued with injuries, back from the ashes and all the way to championship glory!

Or something like that.

Artie_Fufkin and saleem like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what exactly kind of player zeller is?
    if i recall well I remember holic describing him as the white Ibaka

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. cebu

cebu Member

[​IMG]

seclusion likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Melo is probably traded (with cash) for a pick that isn't likely to convey …. to a team that waives him or buys him out. With the incoming cash covering their costs.

AroundTheWorld and hakeem94 like this.