1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kennedy to retire - USSC will swing even further right

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fair enough

here's another one

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/10/conservative-women-kavanaugh-ford/572023/

more at the link

2. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...d2d65b86d0c_story.html?utm_term=.0402d8970a0b

more at the link

3. biina

biina Member

You have no locus standi to make any assertions on what a victim should do or should not do, cos (AFAIK) you were not the victim of a sexual assault.

There is nothing grey about sexual assault - the victim either said no or was in no condition to give/decline consent. Victims are coerced and not willing participants like you are implying. Even if the victim agrees initially, he/she reserves the right to say no at any point in time. It is never right to force yourself on another.

Unfortunately, its people like you, pretending to be experts on things you are clueless about, that compound the challenge of addressing this cancer of the human society (cos its not limited to the US).

4. Nook

Nook Member

The polls I have seen show a majority of women Believe Ford.

Further the polls show that even a majority of white women believe Ford.

The gap has widened. The latest poll I read had women believing Ford by an almost 2:1 margin with the key demographic of independent/lean independent women support Ford by an almost 3:1 ratio and even independent men believe Ford, but by a smaller margin.

So opinion pieces are nice and you can find many of them but so far they haven’t mattered much.

Perhaps the opinions of women will change over the next weeks or months but right now the best information we have doesn’t support that conclusion... at least yet.

Trump and the Republicans need the white independent vote, especially the female one to remain in control.

#3924 Nook, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Respectfully I'll disagree. My wife is a campus attorney who has dealt with these kinds of cases for the past two decades, including Obama-era Title IX cases. She'd be the first one to tell you that a large number of these cases involve "grey" areas. There's also a long-standing discussion about so-called "grey rape" that practitioners in the field still argue about. see e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_rape

So I'm not sure these cases are always as cut and dried as you seem to be suggesting.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

we've come a long way from gang rapist

8. biina

biina Member

What people often place in grey areas are bad sexual experiences that do not qualify as sexual assault. Yes there are sexual encounters that could have gone better, but that the 'victim' did not enjoy the experience does not make it sexual assault.

9. Nook

Nook Member

You are weird. The statement came from someone that didn’t go to parties with Kavanaugh in high school so how would he know anything about alleged gang rape?

What I find disturbing is that the former classmate said that based on what he witnessed of Kavanaugh in high school that he has a strong fear that Kavanaugh did sexually assault Ford!

10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Does the notion of innocent until proven guilty mean anything to you liberal scums?

11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

you know this would NEVER hold in a court of law, right?

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

You’re doing the same to her...

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

She's the accuser. She has to put over convincing evidence, not Kavanaugh

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

so... do you believe her?

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The senior class is 96 students and they have a football team? It can't require that much athletic talent to make the team, no?

16. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

why should I?

CCorn likes this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. TheresTheDagger

Related:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/go...interned-for-feinstein-jackson-lee-other-dems

GOP-doxxing suspect arrested; worked or interned for Feinstein, Jackson Lee, other Dems

19. Nook

Nook Member

Good thing it isn’t a court of criminal law or civil law. It is a job interview where the senators each get to decide the credibility and value of the evidence.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I was thinking about the mid-term and we will know quite soon. But it's still hard to guess. So many variables. One of which is will it generate new voters to turn out.

I do think if Kav isn't confirmed, the R will be motivated to vote very strongly. And if he is confirmed, there is less motivation. If I'm the GOP, I probably gamble with not confirming Kav, retaining the Senate (and maybe even holding the House) and getting to select a much better SCJ nominee that wouldn't cause a generation of backlash from Women.

Long-term, I firmly believe there will be strong consequences against the GOP because of Trump and how the GOP loss all of their moral fabric.