1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kendrick Perkins says KD should hit the weight room

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Space City, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Mr. Space City

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....says-kevin-durant-should-hit-the-weight-room/

LOL @ perkins telling someone what they should do to improve their game

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's got a point. I don't see any benefit to being that thin. I wouldn't expect him to bulk up to MJ's size towards the end of his career, but some extra muscle wouldn't hurt at all.

A young Ray Allen build would be good:

[​IMG]

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He seems about as muscular as Allen is there to me. Bulkier too. And he's already bigger than Gervin.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If Kevin Durant could operate out of the post, he would be a really scary offensive player. So in a way Perkins is right, if Kevin can use his body(size and build) to get easier shots...he would be better than he was this MVP season. Kevin needs mass so that he can handle the physical toll this game has on a player. When his shot isnt falling, he has to make things easier on himself working in the post. And by bulking up, he could make things easier on him for the long run.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Perkins should hit the basketball skills room.

1 person likes this.
  6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

LOL @ ignoring the elephant in the room of limited production outside Durant, WB and Ibaka

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Perkins needs to stfu.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think he's a few pounds short of it

9. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

ehh, I think that's totally dependent on team makeup as well. Durant's bone structure definitely won't support the mass that you see on guys like Melo and Lebron.

At this point I'd say mass isn't what's stopping Durant from getting over the hump and getting to the finals. The thunder suffer from the same issues of the heat, after the top 3 guys there's nothing.

10. NotChandlerParsons

Maybe Perkins should get in the basketball room this offseason.

11. NotChandlerParsons

Dang, lost another loan to Carl Herrera.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bulk up too much may mess up his shot

Rocket River

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

He's too tall, is the problem

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Kevin Durant's game is based on finesse and quickness. I don't think gaining more muscle will help him unless he wants to develop a post game, which he should.

Perkins should get on the treadmill.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nah. At his height he barely has the speed to get past people with ease as he does right now. That's a KEY part of making people respect his J. Adding weight would reduce his ability to get past people, and just improve an area he doesn't need help: finishing at the basket.

Could also lead to more injuries as well given the way he plays and how it would add more weight on his ankles and knees.

Kind of reminds me of how we ruined Yao by obsessively making him bulk up too much.

Unless Durant is going to play at the 4 more, I can't see the point. I do, however, think he should play the 4 more. He would be even scarier there and Ibaka can move over to the 5, Sefolosha to the 3 and Lamb starts at the 2. That doesn't seem to be OKC's gameplan though, so bleh.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yao is a huge exception. At his size, he had moments where he couldn't land correctly and just landed with a big thud. When you're practically already at the rim, the timing on jumps/landing can be tricky.

Muscle can help develop explosion, which would help Durant blow by defenders more quickly. Stronger muscles can also help keep joints from moving too much, which can help prevent injuries. It can be the difference between resisting someone landing on your leg, or not. He needs to do it right and not just put on bulk,

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Perkins should develop his shut up skills, shortly followed by his cruise line and shuffleboard skills.

18. Asian Sensation

KD should tell Perk to hit the treadmill or even better hit the stairmaster.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bingo

Rocket River

20. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

It's funny how a guy who should barely be in the league is telling the league MVP how to improve... Perkins needs to slim down lol he has been one of the worst players on their team for 2 years now.