1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ken Rosenthal]Astros in Hot Pursuit of Tejada

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TMac#1, Jul 28, 2006.

1. BMoney

BMoney Member

I think the Astros would be better off being sellers. See if the Yankees are interested in Pettite. Ask the Angels if they want to sell the farm for Oswalt (Weaver, Kendrick plus a couple of minor league prospects). I would see what interest is out there for Preston Wilson. I just don't see the Astros turning it around, *or* being that much worse if young talent is brought up. Rebuilding the farm system and being aggressive on the free agent market next year sounds good to me.

2. Nick

Nick Member

Why would the Angels trade a young pitcher with stuff like Weaver for a guy who's about to get paid boat-loads in Oswalt? And from the contrary standpoint, why would the Astros trade Oswalt at all? (a guy who's an ace, in the prime of his career, and who they CAN re-sign)

I don't mind them not trading the farm for a superstar bat... but its not like this team is in such dire straits for the future: Oswalt, Berkman, possibly Huff, possibly healthy Ensberg, Hirsh, Patton (who's in AA now), Pence... this team has a pretty solid young nucleus.

3. BMoney

BMoney Member

The fact that Oswalt is not already locked up makes me wonder how easy it will be to re-sign him. I don't think it is necessarily a given that he will re-sign, anyway. I wouldn't trade him at all costs obviously, but his value will never be higher and the market is absolutely craving a big time pitcher, so it's worth a look. Any team that has World Series aspirations would sell the farm for a player like him. I think the Astros would be serving their interests to put their toe in the water and see what's available. (er, something like that). I was just throwing out the Angels because they are loaded with talent and have all sorts of young pitching that the Astros could re-tool with. The Angels would only trade Weaver if they could get a young 20 game winner in return. If they were moving all of the chips in to make a big move then they are the type of team that has the assets to make trading Oswalt worthwhile. Anyway, back to the Tejada Watch!

4. Nick

Nick Member

Oswalt cant become a free agent until after next year... why would you lock up a player TWO years before their contract expires? Hell, that was the whole point of giving him the 4 year extension back in 2003 (so that we wouldn't have to hassle with arbitration every year with him). To this point, he's given no indication that he will definitely want to move on... and the Astros are very much intent on keeping him around.

He'll be taken care of in the off-season... just like Berkman was. You said it perfectly on just how valuable guys like Oswalt are... and you don't trade away ace starting pitchers who have had lots of playoff success, unless you're the Kansas City Royals, Oakland A's, or Pitsburgh Pirates.

Also, our farm will serve us just fine in the future... Hirsh, Patton, and Pence would be in the top 5 of most team's prospects (and since prospects are always an inexact science, why not stick with prognosticating the good ones you already have... instead of getting back more unproven ones for a proven player like Roy).

Finally, I'll take Oswalt over a bat like Tejada any day of the week... the guy has the highest winning percentage among active pitchers, has a career ERA of close to under 3.00, and besides the nagging groin (which was fixed) has no history of arm trouble.

5. ak47

ak47 Member

The Astros were suppose to get Miguel Tejada trade done yesterday but when the Orioles owner saw it he didnt agree with it. Buster Onley said that the Orioles owner is one hard owner to trade with. The Angels offered Ervin Santana and a good prospect but the Orioles said no. Onley said that he thinks that was a very good offer and the Orioles should have took it. He also mentioned the Astros offered a package of players.

6. MadMax

MadMax Member

one more time: i'll be shocked if the orioles end up trading tejada to anyone.