1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ken Berger] Lakers and Celtics have discussed Rondo trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sources: With Dwight Howard still seeking happiness, the Lakers and Celtics have discussed a trade for Rajon Rondo. <a href="http://t.co/cWCvYu0T" title="http://cbsprt.co/HowardRondo">cbsprt.co/HowardRondo</a></p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/302609910070378496" data-datetime="2013-02-16T02:46:39+00:00">February 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. nbafan74

nbafan74 Member

If Howard for Rondo pushes through, then Boston Celtics 2013 NBA Champions

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How? Howard is still at 75 percent

4. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

75% Howard >>> all other centers

Didn't he say that? Or am I confused?

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Lakers getting nervous

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

How does Rondo make the Lakers better next year? He can't shoot and you know Kobe won't let him handle the ball enough to be as effective as normal. I just don't see him complementing Kobe. OTOH, Nash was supposed to be perfect with his shooting accuracy.

7. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Ehh, I wouldn't get to excited about it. If the Rockets offered Asik/Parsons for Howard, it could be done. But it seems as though Morey might just wait for Free Agency, at least for Harden. I could see a Josh Smith/Eric Gordon trade through the next 6 days. But, Howard would probably have to wait.

8. Awesome

Awesome Member

To throw rondo in there then woo

First its a slight on Nash so what would they have done with him?

Secondly his attitude and kobes ego would be like a super nova.....kaboom

9. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Sorry, fixed.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Pointless thread. Why would the "win at all cost Lakers" trade for a PG that will not see the floor this year? Think before you start threads please.

11. nbafan74

nbafan74 Member

Even at 75%, I truly believe that if you pair Howard, who himself has NBA Finals experience, with 3 champions on the Celtics roster with a champion coach, he will play at a different level and sense of urgency. Urgency to win the Larry O' Brien trophy. Plus Celtics play team ball as compared to kobe ball. It makes sense since big ticket, truth & jet are on their last (and I mean LAST) hurrah. Make it happen.

I like Rondo with his triple double games but Celtics are not going anywhere deep with him even when he is healthy. Just my honest opinion.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The question is whether DH is 75% and recovering or 75% and deteriorating.

1 person likes this.
  13. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

jeff green and rondo for howard works

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, is there a sarcasm font on here?

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

YOUR STARTING CENTER, ROOOOBERT SAAAACRE [golf clap]

Would make a lot of sense on the Celtics part. They maintain their 'win now' mentality, and have a building block for future years as well.

I wonder how such a trade would work salary wise though? The Cs would have to send out one of Bass or Green in the deal (and would the Lakers want their ugly contracts?) OR send out Terry + someone else making over a mill.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think the answer in LA is "yes"

I have no doubt the guy plays a whole lot better without Kobe Bryant as a team mate - I'm sure they hate each other.

17. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I don't doubt these two teams talked about this deal very vaguely, but I don't think it's all that newsworthy.

I think we would all be surprised how often trades like this are talked about between GMs just to see what the interest level is. If you don't bring it up, you don't know what's out there.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Link

A league source tonight confirmed a CBSSports.com report that the Celtics held preliminary discussions with the Lakers about trading Rajon Rondo for Dwight Howard.

"The Lakers like Rondo, and (the Celtics) have looked into getting Howard in the past," said the source, who termed the likelihood of such a deal now "unlikely."

Talks were last held at least two weeks ago, before Rondo was diagnosed with a torn ACL in his right knee. The Celtics guard underwent surgery by Dr. James Andrews last Tuesday in Florida, where Rondo is currently recuperating.

The surgery seemingly ended any real chance of trade discussions moving beyond the preliminary phase. Such a deal would not have worked as a straight swap. Rondo, who has a very tradeable contract, is making $11 million this season. Howard is making approximately $19.3 million.

19. nbafan74

nbafan74 Member

Good question. But whether 75% recovering/deteriorating is not the issue. His mere presence totally changes the landscape for the C's especially on the defensive end. He doesn't need to score as much since KG, Pierce and Green have that covered. Their defense will improve to what it was when Perkins was still there. And defense wins championships.

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I really think it is possible that LA is now trying to drive up the price. I really think there is a significant chance Howard is here this time next week.