1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

kelvin cato?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rsx_htown, Aug 8, 2006.

1. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

He was on their roster and even when Shaq was tearing them up they did not try Cato. If he wasn't called for the 1 thing he was noted for, a big body who can defend other big bodies, when they needed this even at the sacrifice of O, I don't see how he can be of much use to us.

Detroit had the Wallaces and McDyess getting most of the 4/5 minutes, but they did have loads of trouble with Shaq (this was Shaq's best series this year). Cato was the biggest guy on their roster, the likely guy to try to change the pace on Shaq, and they did not turn to him at all. Now if he was injured that is another story, but he was on the roster and played a few minutes in other playoff blowouts.

You mean how JVG motivated Mo Taylor and Swift. Getting the most out of underachievers or guys without much BB brains is not JVG strong suit. He had to turn to Cato that year next to Yao because we had no other options, not out of choice.

Cato's min salary is like 1.1mil. Anything more than that further erodes our MLE and chances to pick up a slider later (Think Jim Jackson a few years ago), I'd rather keep other options open for another guard/shooter with the 2 mil left.

3. momosworld

momosworld Member

I would bring Cato in for the minimum (no more than that), and use Deke's expiring contract in a trade package.

4. momosworld

momosworld Member

For instance Deke and Bowen to Charlotte for Sean May. They have to increase their payroll just to make the minimum, and two expiring contracts is probably exactly what they want to make a run at 07 free agents. They don't need May if Okafor is healthy.

I have resorted to replying to my own posts. How very very sad.

5. Rockets Dynasty

Yeah Cato would be a good pickup.

However I think people are exagerrating that he could only get the minimum.

Hell the LLE is about $1.8 million.

I definitely think it would be a wise pickup though for Houston.

Also Cato and Yao are pretty good friends and Cato always seemed to put forth effort to help Yao out.

6. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Perhaps Cato like Yao because Yao sucked up to him as a rookie. I still remember when the papers quoted Yao as saying something like "I want to be strong like Kelvin Cato."

Anyhow, there are plenty of fishes in the sea as far as the low priced big guys who can give you 10 rebounds per 40 minutes are concerned. Cato is a solution, but so is, for example, Scott Pollard... there are also plenty of trade possiblities.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is Chris Andersen still banned from the league next season? He's be a great fit.

8. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

What did Waly Willy do to make himself infamous?

9. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I say bring him back. Flip Saunders was a dumb a** for not using him, we saw how their season ended.

10. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Cato was a lazy ass when he was making big money. How do you think he'll play if he's making the minimum?

He'll be as worthless as a c*ck flavored lolly pop! (To quote Patches O'Houlihan.)

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

It isn't like Cato didn't suck for Orlando this year too. Nor have other desperate teams for a center (e.g., SA, who is also in win now mode, went with scrubby restricted free agents instead) give him a call.

Maybe Cato was just a marginal player before, and with his age, rule changes, and the pace of today's game he would just be a big disgruntled complete waste of a roster spot.

If he would sign a 1 year min deal, sure I'd take him. Maybe even a 2 year min deal. But I'd much rather use remaining the MLE money or keep it available just in case a shooter who might fall between the cracks. I'd probably rather even try Sprewell over Cato.

12. Jd1

Jd1 Member

Sprewell needs to feed his family. minimum wage is not enough for his big family.

13. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

If we can get him for the minimum.why not? I don't understand why people are saying no....yes he wasnt worth the orginal contract but he is worth the vet. minimum

14. AXG

AXG Member

He was banned for 2 years without pay from the laegue in March. I'm guessing he won't be back until the middle of the 2007-2008 seaon, or until the start of the 2008-2009 seaon. It's a shame because the Rox could've really used his defense and rebounding as a backup to Yao or as a part time starter at the 4.

15. momosworld

momosworld Member

I'm with you. I think he is worth the min. OR maybe we could just get him to play for free considering how much we overpaid him when he was here before. The sad thing is, he could probably pay for free this year and it would still average out that we overaid him.

16. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Im sad that we have to even resort to discussing the need of resigning the big oaf.

have we really got no better options than going backwards in time to when we were the definition of mediocrity?

17. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

no its just the reality we need a big man and he is a big man

18. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

he is banned for two more years. :D

19. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Well if we really are interested in him we need to make a move quick. It seems Kings might get a hold of either Cato or Pollard..

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Nope, Hunter.