1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

kelvin cato?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rsx_htown, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Is he a free agent now?

2. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Shut up Cato :rolleyes:

3. AXG

AXG Member

The Pistons didn't pick up his option, and I doubted they would. For the minimum, he'd be an okay addition since we need another big body in the frontcourt to back up Yao.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

u r crzy if u thnk w....oh crap I can't even fake it.

5. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Forget Yao.... Imagine Deke goes down. We're royally screwed with absolutely no one who can back Yao up.

Aside from that, say we're playing the Spurs or Heat, I would like to have Cato around to push some people around.

Terriffic rebounder, terriffic shotblocker, knows our system, likes JVG... I think it's a perfect fit, and we can play him into shape too.

If he's in some kind of good shape, I'd even offer him the rest of our MLE for two years guaranteed. That should come out to 5M over two years right?

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

all he did was dunk

7. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

who else can we get that can patrol the paint or block a shot? cato would be perfect in a bench role!!

all you cato haters speak up!! who else is there?

that's what i thought...

don't just poo-poo cato, suggest a better option. if he signs for the minimum, i think it would be a good pickp.

8. RocketRoever

RocketRoever Member

"Dunk on a fool like Kelvin Cato" -Z ro

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

we *need* another big body
    Mutombo is no going to make it
    at least not all season
    so
    either you OVERWORK Yao
    trying to save mutombo for the playoffs
    or
    you accept a lower seed

I like mutombo but he is over 70

Rocket River

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Cato at the vet min. would be a good pick up IMHO. Doesn't have to play big mins. just spell Yao and grab some reb. and block some shots

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Actually it did. He got two triple doubles in 5 games, they gave him the big contract, and he never got another one. The problem was that they evaluated his worth based on too small a sample size (like 5 preseason games). So, while the blame should certainly go to the Rox front office and not Kelvin (he didn't get to pick the salary they would offer, after all) he did technically have a decline in performance after signing the contract.

12. Summer Song Giver

History buffs what was the original deal to acquire Cato?

Would love Kelvin back if the price was right.

13. anon3803

anon3803 Member

I think Cato would be a great addition to our team. All he can do was dunk and catch a few alley oops, but with Rafer in the backcourt I think he'll do a lot better than when we had SF3 back there. We need the rebounding, and we definitely could use the size. Besides Yao and Deke we don't have any "big men" the next tallest guy on our roster is Novak at 6-10.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

It was the Pippen to Portland deal. I believe the only other notable player we ended up with was the infamous Walt Williams.

15. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Cato is a 7 footer. That alone will get him much more than the minimum.

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree with you, he will get way more than the veteran minumum. With Mutombo retiring after this upcoming season, the rockets would have to give Cato a serious look. He would bring this team alot of toughness and he defends Tim Duncan extremely well.

17. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I would welcome Cato back on the cheap, i rooted for him (also laughed at his mistakes) when everyone bashed him but when we got Yao and the season when he banned the media (was that pre-yao? or rookie yao?) he played much better. If we can get that type of production back as a 3rd C or split time with Deke backing up Yao I can't see what risks would make it a bad deal.

18. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

If he was the Cato that showed up his last year in Houston, that might be different, but that Cato hasn't played the last couple years.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

In the Summer Games last Month he didn't look but a shaddow of his former self.

20. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

He used to be our starting center, he must have something good...

Bring him back.