1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelvin Cato - He deserves some props

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Jan 25, 2002.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

We certainly rag on him most of the time, but having put together a whole consistent week of basketball, I think he deserves some congratulations.

He actually hustles on the court, fights for boards, plays defense, and tries his best not to fumble passes or miss dunks.

There's nothing I hate more than the overweight, male r****d fans at Rockets games who solely make fun of Cato all game long. Like they could do better.

Anyway, way to go Cato. I hope you keep it up.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, Jay.

He has been hustling, and hopefully some positive encouragement will help him continue. Then maybe that will lead to increased success, which will build his confidence, which will only make him better.

I know I'm hoping for a lot, but I do believe it's possible.

3. red

red Contributing Member

agree...god job at not sucking last night cato...

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 1.4 bpg in the last 5 games. Sounds like the center everyone has wanted.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Agree,
    Cato is probably a better true center than anyone we could get in the draft. Cato is a 25 or 26 yr old guy who didn't play highschool basketball. He is getting better. It is starting to look like his play last year was due to being injured and to possibly getting depressed due to those injuries.

It is way to soon to give up on Cato unless he could be used to get a strong inside player. The league is full of god players whose prvious teams gave up on them too early. If and its's a big if, he could catch the ball a bit better, he is close to all we need as a defensive center or a part time replacement for Eddie.
    DEFINITELY DO NOT GIVE CATO AWAY FOR NOTHING.

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

*GULP* I a...ag...agre....agree.

Man, that was hard to say. Cato had some fire in his belly last night. But why did he have to go slapping Francis on the head after that alley ooop pass???? Damn Cato, don't make that migraine worse!!!!!

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Have to Give Cato his props.... He has done a great job the last 4 games... I hope he continues this new work habit..

8. treeman

treeman Member

Let's pray that whatever it is that lit a fire under his butt lasts.

Props, Cato.

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

He has played very well the last couple games. If I could ask for one thing, it would be for him to either:Convert layups on which he is fouled or more consistently make both FT's.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Steve and Cato have really been clicking. I think Steve is the main person responible for Cato's playing well. The only thing I don't like about this is that we are finally getting something out of Cato, but we are still losing. A lot of people, including me, thought at the beginning of the season that if Cato could play well we would win some games...why didn't we win the last three games? :confused:

11. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Exactly! <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27426">I saw he was doing better a few weeks ago</a> . . . but nobody listened . . . :)

12. Miggidy Markell

As I posted earlier, get Cato involved and he will hustle well. Last night was a good example!

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Wow, I'm impressed. I thought the bbs would refuse to see the reality with Cato-- improvement.

14. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Props to Kelvin Cato. He challenged Kenyon Martin inside showing authority!!! Martin is one of the most physical players in the league (recall the Malone incident) and Cato played very physical with him. The inside presence of Cato also helped our guards slash to the basket. In the last two games- Dallas and New Jersey we had more inside game. This is very tough basketball, and I think Cato is contributing well to this. We really need to continue to have a well established inside game.

SLASH TO THE BASKET!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cato get in their faces-YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Apparently, there's a reason...

<i>Cato motivated

Kelvin Cato, whose name is usually followed by words like "much" and "maligned," has been playing well recently for the Rockets. He has put up three straight double-figure rebounding games for the first time in his career.

Over his last five games, Cato is averaging 10 points (on 61.3 percent shooting), 9.2 rebounds (almost four per game on the offensive glass) and 1.6 blocks.

Cato admitted he had a bit of extra motivation.

"I've just been trying to get better and better," he said. <b>"I want to make sure this coaching staff knows how bad I want to be here. I don't want my name in trade rumors or anything like that. And I want the media off me."</b>

But the comment led to an obvious follow-up question. Has Cato been hearing his name in trade rumors?

"I hear trade (rumors) every day," Cato said. <b>"I just don't want to go anywhere. I love Houston. This is where I want to be for the rest of my life.</b> I don't hear anything from anyone inside the organization. The organization says they're pleased with the way I'm playing right now and to just keep it up and everything will take care of itself. That's what I play for."</i>

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Let's hope he keeps it up AFTER the trade deadline.

DaDakota

17. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Lets hope he gets traded BEFORE the trade deadline.

18. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Definetly TRADE him... Cato has made it clear why he is playing well, and it isn't to win a championship one day, or for the love of the game, or to halp his teammates. It is because he is afraid he will have to move again. Well, sorry, but that isn't a good motivator because as soon as the deadline passes Cato will be back to normal. Don't give him a 16th chance to fail! His value is as high as it is ever going to get. Pull the trigger!

This is EXACTLY what happened in the preseason with the miracle 10 block game (can't remember exactly) where he not only defended the basket, but he slobered on the opposing players. He was playing for a contract then, and now he is basically playing to save his contract. He doesn't want to play for Chicago! Ship him out for anything that is over 6'-10" and can walk.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Cato is actually not that over priced, there are several other centers that do not play much that have the same type of deal.

I prefer to think that Cato is just getting comfortable, and that Willis has had an impact on him.

He is still salvagable, why trade him?

Keep him, I think he likes it in Houston, and may be maturing before our eyes.

DD

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I could not have said it any better. Exactly my thoughts :).