1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly Olynyk's Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This! KO can take some rebounding pressure off Wood and allow him to rim protect more. He fits as a 4 or backup 5, and is a good team guy. I'd resign him if we can get him on a reasonable 2-3 yr deal.

fattz and saleem like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wow. Specific reference, sir.

saleem likes this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

Olynyk needs to focus on his assignment, which is to spy on Gonzaga.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He takes those amount of shots because he's a role player who gets benched if he's shooting poorly.

This is similar to the argument we heard from LOFs: "When Lin plays 30+ mins, we win!" That's because Lin was a bench role player, and he only played 30+ mins when he was playing really well - and teams tend to win when their meh role players play really well.

HP3 and jiggyfly like this.
  5. Landry's Tooth

I would guess a 3 year deal for about 40 million... I would try to get the number down by making the last year a player option... I would prefer his deal to expire same time as Wall... I'd be fine with it as quality depth...

Can't imagine a team goes 4+ years for him...

6. Landry's Tooth

I haven't seen anyone say that.... that being said he has shot 60% from 2 or better 3 out of the past 5 seasons not counting this season. His career 3pt% is 36.5%. He's shooting 36.4% in Houston.

I think he's a starter the rest of the season and re-signs as a backup off the bench swing 4/5.

I would expect 14 points / 8 rebounds and 30 minutes a night in the rotation...

Maybe we draft a 4 to start in front of him or find someone else long-term...

BigBum and RudyTBag like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My God now we are now stanning for Olynyk.

He is a Ok role player on a playoff team not a guy you pay when you are rebuilding.

FML.

GotGame15, ico4498 and saleem like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Partially, but he also takes that amount of shots because he has played next to legitimate stars.

My eyes tell me that Kelly Olynyk is far superior to Jeremy Lin. An odd comparison to say the least.

Luis Scola was a roleplayer too, albeit on the higher end of roleplayers. I think Kelly can be in that same range, and possibly a better defender. There are 8 seasons worth of data we can pull to support that notion. Also, sometimes a different role for a different team in a different offense under a different coach with different teammates can change things.

Super excited to have him! Even If he was missing shots in these games, everything else he is doing is simply sublime basketball IQ. I'm not excited about the points, I AM EXCITED ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE.

#128 RudyTBag, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Me neither. :cool:

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

clearly you haven't been paying attention :cool:

HP3 likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Why would you even want Kelly Olynyk here next year as well? He's gonna mess up the tank next year too.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

if you want an O'Brien you will want an Olynyk

txtodd and HP3 like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

True, this is now the house that Kelly Olynyk has built.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If it's a Bill Obrien then hell no

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Larry, dude. Larry O'Brien. ;)

HP3 likes this.
  16. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

go tank yourself

HP3 likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Oh tank off.

18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

This is a real question, it's posed unironically and I'm genuinely curious to know what you all think.

Is it at all possible that Olynyk was never given a big enough role to show his full potential in the NBA? He's been on some stacked teams fighting for minutes behind Al Horford & Bam Adebayo, and now that he's finally gotten some minutes he looks like a legit above-average starter. I'm not saying the guy is a star, but what I am asking is did he ever really get the chance to shine? He's elite in BBIQ which to some extent can't be taught. Has his full potential simply slipped through the cracks until now? Is it his time, and what can we expect from him?

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

About as much a star as say Luis Scola. He can really help our rookies develop.

20. Landry's Tooth

I think he was good enough for 30 minutes a night for a well run Miami team. Surely keeping him means one less need later.

I think they draft a 4 with rebounding skills and Olynyk comes back as backup 4/5 if the money is reasonable.

If they hit on porter and they have wall it's hard to see minutes for a rookie guard unless wall is a backup or dumped...