1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly Olynyk's Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think you are arguing against a strawman. Nobody is saying that he is a star. A 15-7 guy is a solid rotation player. He is a career 10-5 player on good but not great teams. Is he going to double his production? Again, nobody is saying that.

Somehow he has been doing much better than his career averages after he was traded here. His minutes has been up, probably because of our lack of big man talents. While his per 36 minutes stats is also up, his usage rate remains constant. So his increased production is not because of getting more touches. He is just more efficient. I am not sure if it's a system thing or if it's just a hot streak.

I do think you, and a lot of posters here, tend to dismiss our players because you don't think they will be here long term. That maybe understandable. But we can still give props to where props are due.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No way. Morey is gone

chadyang, RKREBORN and BamBam like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I didn't cite anyone specifically but there were a few who seemed to think that Olynyk was a good starter-type on a good team. I was saying that he was not, had never been, and that he would not suddenly become one.

And it's true, I don't think he'll be here long-term. I don't see how (or why) Tildo and Co would do that. I don't think that's dismissing a player; it's just asking the question.... why should we even care if he plays really well? Playing really well this season, at the point, only serves to hurt our pick odds; and again, I don't see him staying here long-term.

I don't dislike Olynyk, and wouldn't hate it if Stone somehow found a cost-effective way to bring him back if Olynyk really wants to be here - but I think that's the key - Olynyk will have to want to be here. A 3-man big man rotation of Wood, Mobley, and Olynyk, for example, could be interesting because of their offensive versatility, though I don't think it leads to many wins.

(I do have some concern about us giving him a relatively rich deal because of his decent stats in losing efforts for half of a season, and then seeing him regress to his mean. That's why I'd only be ok with bringing him back at a value deal.)

don grahamleone and Easy like this.
  4. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

When did Morey ever overpay anyone on a max? Lol

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Olynyk has never been this good. He is playing out of his mind right now.

Like Herro in the bubble playoffs good. Same small sample size too.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

actually I bet he's always been this good but has simply been kept down by The Man . . . Olynyk is simply sticking it to The Man

hakeem94 and burlesk like this.
  7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

So how much would you be willing to pay to bring KO back next season?

His current expiring contract is $12.8M and he's 30 years old. What are you willing to offer to get him signed?

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

hakeem94, chadyang, Cdub37 and 4 others like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. H.D.

H.D. Member

KO has been a KO! Dude has *earned* a good offer. The fact we got him for Oladipo saved the Harden fiasco for me.

hakeem94, ApacheWarrior and burlesk like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He's always been a pretty god shooter from 3 for a big man.

He's actually taking fewer 3 point shots per game with the Rockets than with Miami the past two seasons 5.5 / 5.7 Vs 4.9.
    His worst shooting percentage from 3 prior to last year in Miami was .349 and had two seasons of shooting better than .400 from distance.
    Then you look at Miami statistically as a whole , only one player is shooting at or above the percentage he shot last year from 3 - everyone else is shooting much worse.

I think this supports the idea that Silas offense is generating quality shots .....

The biggest change is probably usage rate .... he wasn't getting the same volume of opportunities before coming here.

I wouldn't break the bank to keep him but I'd offer 12-14m and think he's a bargain at that figure. Definitely an asset you could cash in.

burlesk and don grahamleone like this.
  12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

School of Roc

hakeem94, burlesk and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. juanming

juanming Member

I change my mind on Olynyk other than a couple of games I'm not impressed I hope we don't re-sign him.. I mean I guess if we get Cunningham then we might need a center.. and I look at Mobley as a tall small Forward

I don't know I just don't like vets on a rebuilding team I hope next year we we don't have Wall Bradley Olynyk Augustine house hope there all gone

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Have you seen how bad the bench has been since Augustine got injured? They have zero leadership in that second unit. He provides stability and a calming presence that the bench doesn’t have. And the offense flows because he knows how to get everyone involved. You need some vets to help and teach the young players or you’ll end up with just a young team that constantly loses and ends up in the lottery every year, and there’s plenty of those type of teams in NBA already.

hakeem94 and burlesk like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I believe re-signing Olynyk would be good for the Rockets. He is tailor made for Silas system. But at what cost?

Because neither Wood nor Olynyk are great point on defenders.....I feel the Rockets need a defensive center to platoon between the
    3 of them for minutes. Wood-Olynyk could start but I need probably a good 20-something minutes from a good defender that
    can still space the floor. I've suggested drafting Bassey but he is probably a year away next season from being a true rotational player.

Maybe Ibaka has some game left and would like to get away from the Clippers drama in-house.

burlesk, don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. TimDuncanDonaut

MIA rumored to report that 'fame' seems to be getting to Herro. Injury, distractions, just not having a great year after the bubble. As far people from MIA, Olynyk definitely having a better season than Tyler.

burlesk, D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  19. fattz

fattz Member

13.5 per x 2 with a 3rd year as a team option.

It is solid offer and if he gets more he should take it.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

So Olynyk is 6'11 and Bam is 6'9?

Not seeing it.

hakeem94 likes this.