1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly Olynyk - what to do with him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, May 15, 2021.

?

What should the Rockets do with Kelly Olynyk?

Poll closed May 29, 2021.
  1. Keep him

70 vote(s)
    88.6%
  2. Let him walk

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I cant believe people would question or put a price on Larry Bird Olynk

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A 2 yr contract that is flexible in a packaged trade for a player who can fit better in the long run is all right with me.

3. Buck Turgidson

Who cares right now? Can't do anything until Aug2, right? Lots can change between now and then.

saleem and daywalker02 like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I want to keep him but I also remember Scola’s resigning and ultimate amnesty of his contract in the extended rebuild.

I think if Stone is confident in trade value then you do it. The guy really helps the youngsters since he rarely makes mistakes and can help direct the flow in the offense.

It’s all about the dollars and cents though. If a team offers the guy 20 mil a year or something crazy like that you shake his hand and cheer him when he comes back to play us with his new team.

saleem likes this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

Thank you for common sense.

saleem likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Absolutely you operate over the cap .... otherwise you kill any flexibility. Its about roster building.

Sign Olynyk with bird rights taking you over 112m then use the NT MLE on a quality FA that fits your timeline.

When Wall & EG are expiring in 18 months , that's when you make a big move to add to what you have built.

joshuaao likes this.
  7. Fantasma Negro

All I could think about reading your post was

xiki likes this.
  8. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

nothing to add to this, on point. echoed for truth .

saleem likes this.
  9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

With all the teasing me and @TimDuncanDonaut have done with Tilman. He should very well be resigned, but at the right amount. The problem is that he is an expiring, and people may not like the fact that he may not be in the rockets plans moving forward.

If the rockets find a way to trade John Wall, and move Eric Gordon, he could be a nice time gap sign for this time period -----

With that sayed, Kelly does fit a need with A Vet who can contribute, but thing is maybe he might get better money elsewhere, if he wants more than

3 years @ 45. With a team option, then you just pass, because like a few people have said, he fits better with a team that would overpay but at the same time could win more with him down the stretch to be into the playoff mix.

Rockets might not be that team, so i doubt they want to put big contract out like that for a player. They do need players for this time period, because who is going to come here with this team? Is there a free agent dying to come play with Green, Suggs? or Mobley when the rockets foul up not getting the Cade?

#29 Le$$, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he's a great asset. keep him to trade him.

we can offer him more than most teams this summer. sign him to something reasonable and then look to trade him to a playoff team next year. maybe a sign and trade this summer?

don't just let him walk.

Hank McDowell and Scarface like this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The only way I see the Rockets signing a guy like Olynyk is if the contract is favorable enough that other teams will find it attractive. At this stage in our rebuild, no veterans should be signed unless it's on the kind of deal that allows you to flip them to a contender at the deadline for a pick or include them in as filler in a bigger deal.

saleem likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Who is this Wood fellow? I am looking at the recent box scores and I am not seeing him.

Miami signed Olynyk at his prime for 4 years and 12 per, to be a backup big on a playoff team. That contract sets the market for Olynyk, this offseason. It is unlikely that there will be a bidding war for Olynyk. 3 year contract would be an overpay. 15 per would be an overpay. Where Olynyk signs will be down to whether he wants PT or to chase a ring. Whether the Rockets are interested will be down to who they draft this year. A big heavy Rockets draft would make Olynyk a bad fit.

Reeko likes this.
  13. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Olynyk has been a revelation since he has come to Houston. He has the skills to unlock Silas’ offense and gets people great looks. We are still a bad team but it is important to develop good habits on the long road back to contention. Plus, a cohesive offense makes our players more attractive as assets should we decide to move them.

Olynyk helps us a ton in this regard, and is underrated defensively (see below)

No Worries, cmoak1982 and Shark44 like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is hard to say what to do with Olynyk because we don't know Stone's roadmap for clearing the cap.

In terms of value, Olynyk is 30. Jae Crowder at 30 signed a 3yr 30M deal with the Suns. That feels right in line with Olynyk.

You could perhaps bump the pay up more and shorten the years if you want cap flexibility. Rockets could do a 2/15. Or a 1/20. Or a 3/45 (with the 3rd year Team Option).

Rockets won't be a salary cap team in 2021, but could be looking at room in 2022, especially if they move EG for expirings.

15. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say keep because he shouldn't break the bank on a 3 year deal and most importantly this young group needs some veteran's leadership and the right attitude to set a winning culture foundation. Is going to be a long haul before this tram is on Finals discussions.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I sent this to Silas and he replied, 'Thx appreciate the support'.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  17. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I think the bad defensive rating that the wood/KO combo is quite misleading. Watching KO's on the ball defense it looks quite good and he isn't making a lot of mistakes. Wood and the other young guys are missing open shooters like crazy and making rookie style mistakes. That will get massively better with time and with the infusion of injured defensively minded players like Nwaba + Picks I imagine we will improve immeasurably.

John Wall has got to be the king/emperor/sultan of dumb mistakes. I've never seen a player make so many game on the line losing mistakes as Wall.

#37 SuperKev, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    No Worries likes this.
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Keep at a contract comparable to what they gave Christian Wood. He’s too good of a fit for this team not to keep if the terms are fair, plus Wood is so fragile you need a big guy with that kind of a skill set for when he inevitably gets hurt.

19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, he’s very appreciative of the kind sentiments and also pretty courteous about getting back with me promptly too.

KingCheetah likes this.
  20. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Agree with this. Kelly O is a 15-20 min guy tops and should be almost entirely a backup center. Him playing big minutes at the 4 is a recipe for failure, at backup 5 he's very solid at a cheap price.