1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly Iko: Rockets team to watch for Joel Embiid

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Aug 16, 2023.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Would be reminiscent of the T-Mac, Franchise/Mobley trade and it would take similar. Two young "future" stars at a minimum. Smith Jr. would have to be one of the players I'm sure. Green + Smith Jr. + BKN Picks might get it done but not sure we should because Green could become the best scorer in the league and Bari could become one of the best two-players in the league imo.

If I'm OKC, I have so many assets that I might pull the trigger to pair Joel with SGA. Might have to give up Giddy but they have so many picks maybe they don't. If I'm Sixers a package of Giddy, Chet, J-Dub, + picks I might consider.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"Don't let your emotions" cloud yourself from the cold hard optimized curve fitting of sports fan SRS BIDNZZ - which entails not even entertaining the entirely hypothetical possibility of obtaining the current MVP - we are too far from the top to deviate from the plan now!!!11!!!

You're in for a long season. Godspeed.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

That's because memos are from last century man, get with the times!

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

The thing is, I'm fully "championship or bust" and if we can't get a true superstar I'm not onboard with trading away core young guys. But if we're talking a guy who is literally in the top 3 players in the league, the reigning MVP (even though Jokic probably deserved it), that's instantly enough in the NBA to at least talk about "hey, are we contenders now?" Especially given how underrated FVV is around the league.

There's definitely an asking price from Morey where I'd say no, but there's also probably a price where I'd pull the trigger. Let's keep our eyes on the prize, and a legitimate chance at winning a title in the next few years is worth it, as long as we really do have a shot.

SamFisher likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Or, your "championship window" with Joel Embiid will never open b/c: injured at the ends of seasons, plays like ass in playoffs, and throws teammates under bus whenever it suits him. If he played in the 1990's, a retro big man could have coaxed a teamed to the finals maybe. I just don't see it now.

HD729, Easy, Qan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Entropy

Entropy Member

Does moving to the Rockets magically make him less injury prone? Then no.

B-Bob, Qan, Ancient Moabite and 3 others like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Would rather gamble on KAT or Ayton but I wouldn't want to do that at this point anyways.

Rockets are going to be mentioned in a lot of trades, but I hope the Rockets use the season to take stock of what we have. The OKC pick is a sunk cost, no need to make a panic move during the mid season trade deadline.

Crashlanded19 and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. kpdark

kpdark Member

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

You are speaking in past tense. I am speaking in future tense. But anyway.

Point being, it's premature to make declarations about the merits of Embiid vs Senguin 12-24 months out from now. The fact that we can even entertain that thought without giggles is amazing. This time last year, you'd sound childish and foolish to make such a suggestion.

On paper, 99x outta 100, you'd empty your entire roster for a chance to acquire the reigning MVP in their prime. Folks around here are passionately saying, no thanks. We'd rather keep our 3rd year undersized center. Says a lot.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Sengun will never be on Embiid levels

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Source: Your ass.

pippendagimp likes this.
  13. Rokman

Rokman Member

News Flash!

ALL TEAMS KEEPING AN EYE ON EMBIID TRADE
    (ALL TEAMS ARE ALSO KEEPING AN EYE ON EVERY PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE TRADE)

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  14. krosfyah

Another thoughtless one liner? Your statement is irrelevant to the thread topic.

The question posed is should the Rockets acquire Embiid?

Folks on here be like, "no!".

I'm saying it's way too early to rule it out. My take, the Rockets will cross that bridge in due course, which ain't now.

15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Thoughless one liner? Embiid could be a goat bigman of all time. Sengun at best will be Vlade Divac. I liked Vlade, but not close

16. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Joel couldn't get out of the second round with Jimmy Butler and James Harden as teammates, and dudes here are pretending he's The Key to a Championship Formula™?

I'll roll the dice on the youngins before sending them off for a known commodity, and that's with the knowledge that there's a 10-30% chance that anyone on the roster even approaches Embiid's impact.

HD729, Little Bit and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

LOL. I hereby proclaim that "Source: Your ass" become an official 5-star ClutchFans retort.

BamBam and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. krosfyah

Nevermind. I'm not discussing how good Embiid is. If anything, I'm agreeing with you.

Reading, it's funnndamental.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Rockets keeping their eyes on Embiid

[​IMG]

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  20. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

lol at the Knicks being a contender.