1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[KELLY IKO] Rockets prefer Clingan to Sheppard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chef0010, Jun 22, 2024.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I don't get why Clingan is projected so much higher than him. Edey's got twice the offensive game and is way better on the boards. He tested better in drills at the combine with the extra 17 pounds.

Clingan 7'2 w/ 7'5.75" wingspan @282
    13/7.4/1.5, 2.5 bpg

Edey 7'4 w/ 7'10.5" wingspan @299
    25/12.2/2, 2.2 bpg

Will be interesting to see how there careers play out.

roslolian likes this.
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Alpi and Clingan can't play on the floor together. The defense will be somewhat improved but the spacing on offense will be a Westbrook/Capela type nightmare.

Obviously both sets of players will be at different stages in their respective careers as well as skill levels and positions, but lack of floor spacing has killed us before we've seen it first hand. If we sacrifice spacing on offense for defensive impact in the hope of netting a true superstar level player I'd prefer to just take a chance on Castle with the hope that his potential pays off.

Wing defenders are harder to find than paint clogging big men that are a net negative or a tad bit higher offensively.

saleem likes this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Someone said about a week ago that the Rockets had not worked out Clingan. They must've been right because strangely enough he has been taken off that workouts list.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

And if you let them get Clingon, is that the next next Duncan and Robinson?

6. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

I prefer Shep. He’s a very intriguing prospect. He’d immediately be one of the best shooters in the league, has a high bball iq, solid playmaker and can play off ball. He would add a dynamic that the Rockets are currently missing.

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

As I said "the scouts are using these reasons." I haven't looked that deep into either player myself because the C position is probably what I'd consider the least biggest priority because we've already got Alpi. I just gave you the reasons the scouts have given for him being WAY higher than Edey.

8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I love Sengun, can't stand the SOF's though. Really comes down to that. I'm both a Sengun and Green fan, and yeah trying to convince me with "everybody thinks this" doesn't do much for me, that's more for you sheeple.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Quoting because it needs to be said again for the SOFs in the back of the room.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I appreciate the sentiment, but let's be honest. None of these people are capable of independent thought, you saw his entire "do you realise that everybody else loves Sengun, and everybody?.." ****. THAT. ****. The herd-think idiocy puts me off them more, doesn't make me want to join them in the slightest. The only negative thing about Alperen Sengun is his fans.

glimmertwins likes this.
  11. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

why would the rockets leak this? they want other teams to trade into the top 2 to increase the chances their target is available at 3.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Clingan just doesn’t make sense with Adams on the Roster.

roslolian and cml750 like this.
  13. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

No way the Rockets are dumb enough to pair another big that can't shoot with their best player, a big that can't shoot.

Playing like that will get you some cheap team defensive numbers from rim protection alone, but the offense will be playing 3-on-5, especially with Amen. Easy 1st round exit. See: Cleveland.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Give him 20 years before you judge his shooting ;)

15. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sengun needs to create a outside shot in his arsenal offensive tools, this team could play like Minnesota on half court settings

16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sengun needs to develop a outside shot. Jabari and Clingan would work great together. Clingan is 7’3 and 283 pounds, he would be the anchor of a top 3 defense, he would be hard to stop on mismatches. There are not many people in the league can handle his length and weight….he is a big man. He is bigger than Steven Adams and Rudy Gobert…he can be a weapon on the offense and defense end…

17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Adam was hurt last year and has injured past. There is a reason why Memphis wanted to trade him and the guy is getting older….he will not play back to back or play over 70 games. Steven Adams specializes in rebounding….and he is a bully like Dillion. Ime wants bullies on his team. Adam cannot anchor a top defense team….Clingan can

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

I have a great deal of respect for Sengun and his skills, but I see no reason to think he's ever going to develop a consistent outside jumper. Mechanically, its just not there.

I think betting on that happening is a fools gamble. Again, much respect for Sengun.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If Shep is there, we'll draft Shep.

And whoever doubts Sengun will be proven wrong!

roslolian likes this.