1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kelly Dwyer] The NBA's all-time starting five: Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freemaniam, Aug 4, 2015.

1. J Hard

J Hard Member

C Ralph
    PF Dream
    SF Horry, need a floor spacer and could play the 3
    SG Drexler, back to back finals appearances and was debated who was better out of him and Jordan for awhile. Nuff said.
    PG Murphy

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If Tim Duncan can be a 4, why not Hakeem?

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Because he absolutely dominates at the 5 position with his combination of speed, agility, and athleticism. If Dream had ever spent significant time at PF and offered us an idea of how he has performed. Duncan has played his entire professional career at 4.

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Hakeem never really played the 4 for most of his career but I agree with you - if Duncan can play the 4 so can Hakeem, since Duncan also switches to the 5 frequently. Both players are similar in their defensive versatility in this respect.

5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You hate T-Mac, I get it but he's a starter on the all time great team along with Clyde.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Different eras. Clyde was a better overall player and had a better overall career.

His jersey is retired by the rockets and blazers.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Arguing Hakeem playing his whole career at the 5 and Duncan at the 4 doesn't hold much weight, because in reality both players played against both 4s and 5s, and their defensive and offensive roles within their respective teams were very similar.

Hakeem is known for his low post moves, but he also had the ability to face up from 18-20 feet and make a move off the dribble, including pull-ups from midrange. He just jumpers probably as frequently as Duncan, maybe more so. On defense, he was a force in the paint, but mobile enough to guard 4s.

There's no shame in having him slotted as a 4 in this fictional lineup. If its really such a big deal, we can use these position designations instead:

CF: Malone
    CF: Olajuwon
    SF: Rudy
    SG: Harden
    PG: Murphy

8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Clyde was pretty darn good the whole time he was in Houston. Didn't he miss out on a quadruple-double by 1 assist the year before he retired?

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Based on Skill alone this would be my picks

Sampson
    Hakeem
    McGrady
    Drexler
    Harden

Between Harden, Drexler and T-Mac a PG isn't really needed as all these guys can create for others and themselves.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Otis over Barkley and Malone for best at PF?

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

How about most hated starting 5

Lin
    Rafer
    TMac
    Pippen
    Cato

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

PF: Moses Malone
    SF: Elvin Hayes
    C : Ralph Sampson
    SG: Hakeem Olajuwon
    PG: Yao Ming

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Hakeem Olajuwon and Calvin Murphy should be sure things for their spots, then Moses Malone, Elvin Hayes, Ralph Sampson, Yao Ming, James Harden etc. Too close to call.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I just don't think Dream would be nearly the force that he is, if placed in the PF position where players were regularly a lot faster. I also don't feel like Malone would mesh well with Dream considering his playing style was basically playing volleyball with the backboard until he got the shot in. Just because he COULD shoot from midrange does not make me want to put him out there full time. IMO, the dream belongs at the 5.

Malone was NOT a PF in my opinion. Guy's game was purely center. Barkley we only had for a short period of time while we had Otis for EVERY game 5 out of 6 seasons before we shipped him out for Drexler.

15. split41

split41 Member

This is the one. Malone was a beast!

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Rudy T and he was a good player but I wouldn't put him amongst the greatest Rockets' players. I would make him the coach of an all NBA Rockets team.

17. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

PG-Francis/Murphy (Tossup)
    SG-Harden
    SF-Rudy
    PF-Hakeem
    C-Yao Ming

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That would be a great tream. I'd be sorely tempted, though, to put Ralph at the 3. He thought himself more of a wing anyway. Given any excuse, Sampson would put the ball on the floor. His handles weren't as good as he thought they were, but they weren't bad, either.

It would be easy to put a great bench behind those 5, one made up of former Rockets in their prime. Ah, for a time machine!

19. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

co-endorse

20. D-rock

D-rock Member