1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly Dwyer has Stephen Jackson bamboozled

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by fba34, Aug 10, 2016.

1. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think i'm not reading that SJax quote the way Kelly did.

I don't think SJax is saying that everyone should go and join winning teams.

He's not saying 'don't take the money', he's just saying 'show more heart'. He's not a total dumbass, of course he didn't say no to money.

There always have been lots of people who were in the league because of size, athleticism, money, rather than love for the game.

SJax always had a huge heart and those big balls like Cassell, Iverson or Sprewell.

He didn't always help his team, not the smartest player, not the most upstanding citizen. I kind of hated him for a while for his role in Pacers' self-destruction. But can't question his passion.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

SJax was just trying to differentiate himself from other players. He wasn't bashing other players for taking the money.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Geez I cannot stand Kelly Dwyer. Mr. Gotcha high and mighty 24/7. This douche even posted here on CF a few years ago when I disagreed with his take in a Yahoo post that was 99% opinion.

Of course there is a double standard with former players, or players that actually do take less to go somewhere else to try and win. There was always a moment in their career where they made decision that were mostly financially driven. I'm sure Barkley says this stuff all the time too but you know he wasn't playing for free, and expected to be compensated on the back end when he did take less (see Rockets/Les beef).

I just see this as Kelly trying to stay relevant, and employed as Yahoo goes through this buyout and Woj's crew have their own thing going on with the Vertical.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Don't really see why he's ripping into SJax when it's a pretty normal comment from most athletes. Is he a hypocrite for it? Sure, as are many other athletes that say the right words about winning and remaining loyal while still vying for that big paycheck. That said I don't understand the need to make an editorial piece for a journeyman support player trying to avoid making a move to China to earn a paycheck playing basketball. Must be a slow summer for journalism when you gotta rip into an old vet not many people care a great deal about as is. Not as though there's the Summer Olympics to write about or anything.

6. basketballholic

Dwyer sniffed too much kitty litter in an attempt to come up with a unique story piece. Not good.

I think if Dwyer would learn to blend his comedic talent for self-depracation into his writing that he would be a much bigger splash on the national sportswriters scene.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't read many sports columns at all, so I don't know which one is good or not. But I vaguely remember Kelly Dwyer back in the early-mid 2000s posting a lot more here and got along with most posters. Then suddenly 2010s came around and brehs here started to turn on him. What happened?

8. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

LOL Kelly Dwyer is a terrible writer, has been for a couple of years now. Good luck trying to keep your job :eek:

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

10. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Sports journalism is in a rut these days, much due to the same financial forces ruining all other kinds of journalism. In the last few years, all the stories have become shrill opinions from "journalists" ("SA Smith says Durant should not get to keep his penis") or pointless quotes spun into headlines ("Draymond Green still wondering whether it was good that people saw his penis").

There's still Zach Lowe, though he was better as part of Grantland. KD's shtick was more novel a few years back, but he still tries.

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Wow KD has no chill haha. I bet SJax didn't see that coming. Pretty entertaining read.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I remember him being here, and most of the board disagreeing vehemently on whatever he was saying.

It was funny. I easily could have mistaken him for a less savory poster. Really makes you wonder how the hell these guys get jobs in journalism in the first place.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

The same Spree that famously turned down a $21 million contract because he said it wasn’t enough money to feed his family? The same Spree that couldn't get an NBA job after saying that and had to retire at 34 and lost his house and his yacht and is broke? The same Sprewell that choked out his head coach and had tons of physical talent but never really worked hard to reach his potential?

Yeah..running around pounding your chest doesn't equal passion.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who knew there were so many closet Stephen Jackson apologists. Will wonders ever cease.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Kelly Dwyer is a dude?

1 person likes this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Not only is he a dude, he posts here (at least he used to) fairly often.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

KD has been posting in the hangout lately and imo he's nothing close to a douche.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Meh, he comes off as aggressively opinionated. Can see how it would run people the wrong way.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Going on google-image for Kelly Dwyer takes us to a very sad missing person case from a few years ago of a woman by the same name. That story has a sad ending though :(

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

The same Sprewell who played with fire in every game, to the very end, against the odds in 1999 playoffs, leading 8th seeded team to the finals. The same Sprewell who helped turn the Wolves into a good team, and helped keep the Warriors from losing a beat when Tim Hardaway went down. That Sprewell.

He absolutely used his physical talent to its fullest on both ends of the floor, he just didn't have a handle or a good shot, and wasn't the smartest player.

And yes, the man was far too proud and cocky and dumb for his own good. So was SJax and many other players with a lot of heart.

Oh no, the guy lost his yacht, so he played with no passion. How about watch some games instead of being a walking tabloid.