1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kegerators

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm looking to either buy or get a conversion kit for my Man Cave.

Thoughts, experience, comments or other BS appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Not to be a pretentious *******, but Kegerators are typically situated in the living room next to the flat screen television.

3. Xerobull

This will be in the man cave. It is not pretentious. It is manly. There will be multiple flat televisions/projectors.

1 person likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

Will your televisions have fists?

5. Xerobull

You bet your damn knees they will. Fists made out of concrete, rusty nails and modeled after bruce lee's balls. And to turn the tv on, you take one on the chin, just to prove you're manly enough to watch it's awesomness.

2 people like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Depending on the model of kegerator mastering the art of correct temperature can be a maddening science. Buy a liquid thermometer and put it in a cup of water that you keep in the enclosure, my kegerator didn't tell the temp... also make sure you know what temp you need for the particular type of beer you will use. Get a cleaning kit, the tubes get dirty and cause foamy beer. Changing the co2 canister is a pita, getting at the right setting can also cause problems, you have to go to a hardware store for refills, you wont get your shiny new canister back... if you get an old crappy one you'll get flakes in your beer.

Its a lot of trouble but awesome when you get it right. You want to buy mine?

7. KingCheetah

Lol, TVs don't have knees... pfffft... just fists n00b.

1 person likes this.
  8. Xerobull

So you're saying that it takes some fine tuning. All the while, you have to test the beer to make sure it's right. I'll make sure to get a thermometer.

Luckily I have a paintball place close to my house that will fill the CO2 canister, and they made a point of pointing out that their co2 was rust-free.

KC- I think you're a little off waiting for the TMac shoe to drop. If my GD mancave viewing screens have knees, you can bet your MFing grandfather's purple heart that they will kick your arse. But I digress. They will have fists, made of concrete and rusty nails, modeled after Bruce Lee's balls.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh ya there is some keg etiquette too. For example you have to let a new keg sit in the keg 24hrs at the right temp before you tap it etc..

10. Xerobull

Now you're just being silly.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

ex roomate used to have one its pretty good..make sure you get one that is compatible with both the compressed mini kegs (henekin, newcastle types) and other mini-kegs.

the co2 canisters dont last too long so make sure you always have a steady supply.

make sure you keep it clean when changing kegs

12. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

i got my conversion kit from www.beveragefactory.com I got the low end kit for 129.99 about 5 years ago. Just last month i was having problems with the keg spitting beer out to hard. I bought a new Coupler, Regulator and hoses for about $100 and it back up and running. This time i got a better regulator and they have a guard for it in case your CO2 tank falls over, it wont get damaged, i would suggest one unless you plan to somehow mount it inside the fridge.

The kit is simple to install, all you have to do is drill a hole in the front of the fridge for the tap, everything else stays inside the fridge. Most fridges are uneven at the bottom so you will need something to level the bottom so the keg fits, i used some 3" PVC pipe put 2 T's Together with a little pipe between them, then used a hack saw and cut indentions where the keg fits inside but you can figure something out with whats laying around the house.

The kits ship with plastic hose clamps, they also sale the metal ones, i personally like those better, but i had the plastic ones on there for the first 5 years and never had a problem.

I also got a strip that sticks to the side of the keg and measures how much is left in the keg and the keg temperature for under $5 its worth it. They also have some cleaning kits for sale that if you have the cash now are worth picking up and should make it last longer (i didnt use one, but a few friends do and theres didnt mess up after 5 years.)

1 person likes this.
  13. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

There is a place on Stella Link off 610 that fills the CO2 canisters it comes out to less than 12 bucks for a 5lb tank, and if you drop it off the day before they freeze it overnight so they can get more CO2 in it. Ive always gone there, i bought a new tank and its still a new looking tank.

I go thru 5-6 Kegs a year and only have to fill a 5lb tank once a year, maybe every 9 months if I throw a couple parties.

14. Xerobull

Thanks for the info, YoYo and Freik.

I bought a beveragefactory conversion kit from their Amazon store. They're slightly cheaper and I get the points on my Amazon card.

I looked at the SmartStrip and dismissed it. I'll order one now.

15. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Make your own. I've converted many fridges over the last couple decades. The three main things to consider:
    1. Make sure the tap(s) exit the box on the SIDE, not the door.
    2. Removing the shelves in the door and replacing that plastic piece with aluminum is key. It's also the most difficult part of the process.
    3. Realize by converting a fridge, you now have a freezer for pint glasses/ice handy.

Good luck.

16. Xerobull

#1- I considered this. Less moving parts this way?

#2- Replacing with aluminum? Why- insulation?

#3- All over that. :) Also bought eight 1-pint beer mugs. That's 34 oz, folks!

17. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

#1. Assuming you get a fridge with an upper freezer, the door will force your taps OPEN every time you need a pint glass. Also, yeah...you don't want to have all your "parts" moving all the time.

#2. You remove the plastic shelving by peeling back the magnetic gasket surrounding the door (which makes the seal). Be careful not to damage the gasket. There are about 50-100 screws that hold the shelving in place (it's all one piece). When you get this removed, make a PRECISE measurement (using the back) of the piece. Take that measurement to a metal shop and have them cut you a piece of aluminum EXACTLY that size. Use a thin-ish piece of Al, but still thick enough to be STIFF. Once you've removed the plastic shelf piece from the door, you'll realize how incredibly flimsy the door is without that support. The aluminum piece will restore rigidity while protecting the insulation (while helping to insulate). Removal of the plastic shelves is key because it creates a ton of cubic space. You'll need this for full-sized kegs (and if you wish to have 2 pony kegs at the same time -- with two taps).

Also, you have to make a piece to fit in the floor of the box. The bottom of the box is NOT FLAT. The compressor lives under there in the back half, making an uneven surface on the floor. Cut a piece of plywood or something the size/shape of the LOWER part of the surface. On this board, place a cinder block or some very sturdy and strong object that will create a lift to reach the height of the UPPER part of the surface. Next, cut another piece of plywood (or whatever) the size of the entire surface of the floor to place on top of the cinder block and compressor casing.

Good luck.

EDIT: Take the aluminum sheet and tape it to the back of the plastic shelves you removed. Drill small holes through the original holes in the plastic to create and EXACT MATCH in the aluminum sheet. This is required for replacing it to the door...

1 person likes this.
  18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read the title and thought this was about some kind of Kegels exercise machine.

1 person likes this.
  19. Xerobull

That would be awesome for my wife (and subsequently, me), but decidedly not mancaveish.

20. raj87

raj87 Member

Specifically, that would be womancaveish.

1 person likes this.