1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keeping Up With the Rockets' "Draft Rights Held" Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Feb 26, 2015.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Don't we also have the draft rights to Frederic Weis, the French 7 footer who Vince Carter dunked over?

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

To put in perspective where I'd view these players (totally my opinion), here are other "draft rights held" prospects who the Rockets brought over under Daryl Morey after they played overseas:

Luis Scola (PF, 6-9, 27 years old when brought over, 55th pick in 2002) would be at the top of the list.

Donatas Motiejunas (PF/C, 7-0, 22 years old when brought over, 20th pick in 2011) would probably be second to Scola on that list. (Remember, we're talking value as of the day they're brought over. D-Mo's always had more potential, but Scola was much more of a sure thing.)

Vassilis Spanoulis (PG/SG, 6-4, 24 years old when brought over, 50th pick in 2004) probably ranks similarly to Llull (and I think would probably have done better in the NBA if he was in a different situation).

Kostas Papanikolaou (SF, 6-8, 24 years old when brought over, 48th pick in 2012) probably ranks below Llull and maybe just slightly above Gentile.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Diebler is interesting because of his crazy 3 point stats.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I wonder if the falling Euro could lead Lull or Gentile to reconsider us this summer.

Right now they could maybe earn even more here compared to Europe.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Papanikolau has looked very unimpressive to me. I hope Gentile has more upside than this guy. :)

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Papanikolaou really was completely marginalized when the Rockets acquired Corey Brewer. Obviously he didn't get enough time to get accustomed to playing in the NBA, and I do think he has value as a rotational player, but clearly he was more of an means to an end at this point.

A$$ets.

7. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I don't know what it is about my brain that triggers this, but everytime a "Rockets overseas prospects" discussion starts, I feel obliged to go see what Malick Badiane is up to lately.

8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

I love the old NBAonNBC theme music on this video. Takes me back.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marko Todorovic was second in PER in the Spanish League, which Llull is in (Not a big fan of PER, but it is okay for a rough estimate of offensive and rebounding efficieny). Llull wasn't first. His man to man defense is okay. He can help away from basket well, but isn't a rim protector.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I think the ship may have sailed on Llul - hard to see him coming over now that he is 27, but I have no idea when his contract ends. If his contract doesn't end for a few years I can't see Morey paying out to bring over an older point guard.

Gentile, Todorovic and Diebler still hold value and I think Gentile maybe able to be brought over in a couple of years.

Leunen, Newley,Hervelle and Hamilton - Will just be a footnote in future trades

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, however he may get another chance next year with the Rockets if he isn't traded. He will have to improve a lot on his 3 point shooting in the off season in order to come back.

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Most of these players will be appearing in trades we will do with the 76ers in the next 10 years.

13. davidkconover

davidkconover Member

This is a great, great thread. Good information and insight. Thanks all!

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

He was not that impressive in the world cup also, he was clearly struggling with his offense.

When Morey bought him over, his contract has more meaning to the Rockets than the player himself.

Kind of like the Terry trade, those picks are more valuable than Terry and his performance is just a cherry top.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Money asside, opportunity and a vision for a defined role has really always seemed to bigger sticking point for alot of these guys with the Rockets especially.

You kind of wonder if the Papanikolaou experiment will bode negatively with Llull this offseason when they try again to bring him over?

(side note: Even though I think he will be dealt on draft night or before, I hope Papanikolaou stays in the NBA and has success... I think he's a much better player than his production statistically would lead you to believe and a bigger support role would show he's definitely an NBA player).

Gentile, I believe is in the final year of his contract with Emporio. Id guess he's going to be weighing offers from Houston at whatever their offer will be vs. offers from the big boys over in Europe with real cash to spend & guaranteed opportunity.

With the gaping hole the Rockets have for a secondary scorer/facilitating guard next to Harden maybe there is enough opportunity to convince Llull to come over this year, but his contract goes until 2018 so you have a buyout situation there on top of whatever he's going to cost which will be a good chunk of the MLE which potentially hampers your ability to bring back Brewer/Smith/McDaniels. Is taking a stab at Llull really worth that?

However, I think there is definitely opportunity to use both players in trades. The Rockets a couple years ago could have definitely seen opportunity to fill in holes of needed role players by giving up a 2nd rounder for a guy like Llull. There are a ton of teams.... IF THEY ARE DOING THEIR HOMEWORK that should definitely have interest in Llull and Gentiles. The Rockets however have a situation where its going to tough to find roles for these guys much less the money in their salary cap NEXT YEAR (2016 however...).

16. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

We could really use Llull with Bev's status as a starter starting to come into question, but the MLE is going to KJ in the offseason.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Bulls now with the Rose injury issues and the fact that they have such a great track record with Gasol & Mirotic sort of seem like a great trading partner for Llull's rights this Summer.

Kinda random trade but-

If the Rockets end up with the 14th pick, and the Bulls end up with Sacramento's pick if it ended up being 11 through 13, maybe that's a situation where the Rockets use Llull to move down in the draft a couple spots to get a better player.

Maybe they give up a 2nd rounder for him.

Who knows. But I could definitely see a team like the Bulls.... again... IF they are doing their homework really getting a solid player to their rotation with a defined need.

18. bmd

bmd Member

Wasn't Spanoulis like the Euroleague MVP?

19. anchel

anchel Member

Llull is under contract until 2018 and he signed an NBA buyout clause of 5-6 million €s. Doesn't look like will be here soon....

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Here is my understanding of the Llull situation (Clutch or someone else, feel free to correct me):

1) He wants a defined and significant role. The impediment a few years ago (when he signed the extension) was that we had just committed significant money to Lin and he was seen as our PG of the future.

2) He has a buyout that declines significantly after this year. This was at least one of the reasons why he wasn't signed this year.

3) He will not sign for peanuts. We will need some or all of the MLE, assuming we stay above the cap.

4) He wants to win the Eurocup. I've always thought this was more of a "I'd like to do that" rather than "I have to do it".

My own speculation:

I don't think he's against coming to the NBA.....the right opportunity has not presented itself. He wants a clear shot at starting or being in the rotation, to be fairly paid, and his buyout needs to drop.....that could all happen this year.

I can't get over that Morey retweet from a few years ago "I have not seen a better point guard for James Harden than Sergio Llull." As I remember, the original tweet was by an overseas scout.

Llull to me is a 10 year younger version of Pablo. Good shooter, aggressive player, and an overall smart basketball mind.