1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keeping Asik & Lin... (Rockets Contending Potential)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Oct 12, 2013.

1. torocan

torocan Member

Technically it's $5 and $15m with a cap hit of $8.3m over 2 seasons.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

In my opinion, he is easily worth $ 10M per season. Just look at what some other big men are making...

3. Play07

Play07 Member

for fans who want to trade asik for a PF LMA, ryan anderson, Love, I have a question when dwight has two quick fouls like he did last night who do we bring in to play cenetr ? Smith, DMo ?

4. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

I start to think Lin and Asik will getting trade soon.

5. autoprt

autoprt Member

having players that know your system and are productive aren't something you just trade away. i believe the rockets will keep lin because many fans would go crazy now if he got traded and asik is a big man and we still don't know how dwight will hold up all season so we need a reliable backup who also knows our system.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

DEANDRE 6000

nuff said

7. Play07

Play07 Member

1. Wanted to bump this thread, so we can try to remember the positives of keeping ASIK besides the attitude that he has shown recently, in hopes that he will change.

2. If you guys remember before asik got hurt mchale had him finishing two games that were close in the 4th one in Memphis where he helped us win by guarding Z-BO. Later after the game he spoke with media "feigen" on how he just did his job, he knows how z-bo likes to play.

3. Clutch posted lin & bevs mins per game, "when both were healthy" the 8-9 games this year and they actually both played right around 30 which was around lins average last year. We’ve saw his improvement when he’s healthy.

4. If asik buys back in & if morey can somehow grab a wing backup that can play the 2&3 to help Garcia out when he struggles, I like our chances of contending vs a trade. Being deep in multiple positions will go a long way in the playoffs. & we will be one of the deepest.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

Mchale's interview after practice 12/19/13

"I never thought asik was going to be traded"

"look i'm looking forward to getting jeremy back and asik back getting some games together under our belt as a group"

“Asik will be a big part of our success, and there will be a lot of nights where that 2nd big body out there banging with Dwight will give you an advantage, and we need that”

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Keeping Asik really is the best option. I guess everyone still got caught up in the trade business. It was fun while it lasted. Now, back to winning as a team.

10. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

annnd... the rookie has spoken. waiting for wise words from master tinman and the resilient DD.

11. Apache

Apache Member

the rockets better be scared of trading lin and asik ..lol

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

While I like both players there's too much money tied into a backup center and a backup PG.

It seems that Morey is of the belief that PG is not where you invest top dollars or at least that has been the consensus opinion on this board.

We all know Parsons is going to be paid soon and ideally before that happens you'd bring in a third "star" for $16-$20 million by losing Asik, Lin, and Dmo. This is why I could see a Gasol trade. Then you go over the cap on Parsons as you are now all in cap wise for your championship window.

To pay Parsons first and then allow Lin and Asik to just walk would be cap suicide IMO.

13. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

You guys think Gasol is still young enough to be an important part of a championship team?

14. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

Not with the way he has been playing this year.

15. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

A few months ago they were both starters. In fact, the only ones who played all 82 games last season to bring this team back to relevance. Asik being upset is perfectly understandable.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Exactly. I understand why Morey signed them to those contracts but now changes must be made as an upgrade to Asik was brought in and dollars must be reallocated accordingly to weaker areas like wing depth.

17. bws

bws Member

Lin and Asik are not the same. Lin is playing off the bench, so what? He's playing 30 minutes and in many games he was a huge contributor to the team winning. He has a big role now to try to keep the bench from totally screwing up the game but he also plays time with starters. Asik got more put down to playing 16 to 20 minutes and not feeling like a big part of the team. So it is much easier for Lin to go with his role as he can contribute and put up good numbers vs. Asik who has way reduced playing time.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

Morey set those contracts up, & we're playing basically $2,000,000 a year with 2 starters "jones & parsons" so it evens it out. We're only weak at one spot, "a back up that can play the 2&3" but Morey has smith, Canaan, Garcia, dmo, & Covington to package in a deal to fill that spot.

19. Verdad

Verdad Rookie

This will not end well. You should never try to force a man to be where he does not wan to be.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

3-8-14

@saraeckertcsn Hakeem Olajuwon working with @AsikOmer at #Rockets practice. http://t.co/ik2CPjVw7k

@jennydialcreech - Hakeem at Rockets practice today working with Asik http://t.co/48QuHS7uQt

This is what I always wanted to see, dream helping asik catch/finish better and also working in the post. Of course he will never have great moves but dream can help him learn to position himself certain places where it can be easier for him to score based on his limited offensive skill set and how to pass out the post to shooters or cutters. Great to see this ! Asik will be VERY important for the playoff run.