1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keepers and Leavers: Who do you want to keep?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Feb 22, 2011.

1. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Martin, lee, Patterson, Williams, Lowry, Hayes and Williams oh andbattier too

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Now of course there are no untouchables on this team. If some great deal comes around any of these "Keepers" should easily be traded:

Keepers in order of "protection:"

Projects: These are all players with untapped potential. Keep these players to see what they can be. Even if they do not work into our long term plans, they can be trade bait.
    (In order - higher is harder to get rid of)
    Terrence Williams
    Patrick Patterson
    Ish Smith
    Jordan Hill

Heart of the team:You keep these players because you enjoy how they play. You know they will never be the best at their position. They may or may not be a big part of a future Rockets championship team, but they will give us enjoyment watching them play with full heart and effort for the Rockets while we are irrelevant. Those are the types of players that true fans often really start to love. Now of course, if a good deal comes for these players, you let them go but you do not undersell just to make a deal.
    (In order - higher is harder to get rid of)
    Chuck Hayes
    Kevin Martin
    Kyle Lowry
    Courtney Lee
    Luis Scola

Soul of the team:Only one player fits here. It really depends on what he wants to do. If he wants to go to a contender let him go this off season. If he wants to stay in Houston and be a sort of player/pseudo-assistant coach on a cheaper contract you keep him.
    Shane Battier

Legacy:The what have you got to lose; shot in the dark; why not; you got a better idea? player of Yao Ming. Of course, you sign him to a very, very very small contract. He expects anything more than even 4/5 million (under current CBA, so likely 2/3 million under the new one) with 2-3 guaranteed years, you say no. But if he'll take the really cheap contract for a year to give it one last go before hanging it up, why not take that shot at having a serviceable center?
    Yao Ming

3. syn

syn Member

Keepers All Have Untapped Potential
    Kyle Lowry
    Ish Smith
    Kevin Martin
    Courtney Lee
    Terrence Williams
    Patrick Patterson
    Chuck Hayes (realized his offensive/defensive potential this year, will continue to be the rock in our 1st/2nd unit and our glue guy once Shane leaves)

Leavers (All self explanatory)
    Aaron Brooks
    Luis Scola
    Chase Budinger
    Jordan Hill
    Brad Miller
    Shane Battier
    Yao Ming

We've all waited this long. Just a couple more days to go. I have faith in Morey.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I agree, nobody is untouchable but there has to be some players that you'd prefer to keep? Or maybe not lol

5. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Keepers
    Kyle Lowry
    Chuck Hayes
    Patrick Patterson
    Terrence Williams
    Courtney Lee

Meh
    Scola
    Martin
    Battier

Leavers
    Anyone else

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

don't you mind i have same view as yours??? :grin:

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it all depends on who we get back.

8. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Does anyone else believe that Yao will announce his retirement at the end of this season? Despite any possible chances of recovery. He has plenty to do with the Sharks and other enterprises.

9. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Keepers

Lee, Martin, Scola, Battier, Pat-Pat, Hayes and Terrence

Leevers

Everyone else on a right price

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

No one it untouchable but the guys I'm less willing to part with are:

Hayes
    Lowry
    Martin
    Patterson
    Scola

I'm on the fence with Scola due to his age. The rest of the guys either have quite a bit of prime basketball left in them or have not even hit their prime yet. If Scola or Martin go there had better be an All Star coming to Houston in exchange.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Keepers
    Luis Scola
    Chuck Hayes
    Patrick Patterson
    Shane Battier

Leavers
    Aaron Brooks
    Chase Budinger
    Jordan Hill
    Terrence Williams
    Brad Miller

It Doesn't Matterers
    Courtney Lee
    Ish Smith
    Yao Ming
    Kyle Lowry
    Kevin Martin

12. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

if the team needs a true superstar at the wing then Martin has to go. You pair a superstar up with someone who can play defense.

keeper
    Lowry
    Lee
    Hayes
    maybe Scola but his D pisses me off

13. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Though nobody on our team should be untouchable, how is Lee so underrated by our home board?

He is not a franchise player, but is a player I would feel very comfortable with on a championship team. He is not used properly in our system yet and can become a huge threat for opposing teams. He is not even close to his potential and has a great attitude.

Not only that, but he is making such little money next year for what he ALREADY brings to the table.

I'd like to see Pat, Lee, Lowry, and Twill stay as we trade away our other players for a few more players with great upside. I don't care how we finish this year or next year for that matter.

The team mentioned about with another really good building piece plus high lotto picks from our two bad seasons could be a huge threat to any team.

14. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

Keepers
    Kyle Lowry
    Kevin Martin
    Luis Scola
    Courtney Lee
    Chuck Hayes
    Patrick Patterson
    Terrence Williams

Leavers
    Brad Miller
    Chase Budinger
    Jordan Hill
    Aaron Brooks
    Yao Ming

It Doesn't Matterers
    Ish Smith
    Shane Battier

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...for the right price, they can all be had. There isn't anyone who isn't replaceable on this roster.

....but I get the feeling that teams don't want to be the next on the list of teams Morey gets the best of so negotiating moving any of our players is probably a lot harder than it has been in the past.

16. syn

syn Member

Am I the only one here that feels like Ish Smith can be a good PG a couple years down the road?

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....but if I had to choose, I would keep Patterson - I just like his game.

Lowry is also one of my faves and I like how Martin can seemingly get fouls at will, but I would happily trade either of those guys for an upgrade.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chutes and Ladders...

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

agreed.

I'd like to hold on to the players who add something beyond the stats. I'm sure they're undervalued around the league so it would make more sense to move the guys who put up numbers and don't do much of anything else.

20. Jdawg

Jdawg Member

No one is untouchable...if I had to choose I would keep Patterson and Williams just for the potential upside. Everyone else can go. I like Martin, but he needs an all-star to play with for his game to be the most effective.