1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Keeper League help! URGENT.

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by YaosDirtyStache, Jul 17, 2013.

1. YaosDirtyStache

Alright guys, please help the STACHE out. I am in a keeper league and can keep 10 of these guys, only ten. I will BOLD the ten I intend to keep, but wait theres more! A trade was offered to me that is why I need advice. First I will list who I intend to keep, then I will offer the trade and see what you think. I never really ever ask for fantasy advice I am just at WITS END. Thank you!

Cam Newton
    Joe Flacco
    Andy Dalton

Dez Bryant
    D. Bowe
    Vincent Jackson

Greg Jennings
    James Jones
    Davone Bess

Darren McFadden
    Alfred Morris
    Doug Martin

Frank Gore
    BenJarvis GreenEllis
    Steven Ridley
    Jones Drew

Pettigrew

So my startes would be:

QB1: Cam
    QB2: Flacco

RB1: Morris
    RB2: Martin

WR1: Dez
    WR2: Bowe
    WR3: V.Jax

TE: (Draft)
    Flex: Jones Drew

Here is the trade offer (Pre Draft):

Doug Martin
    Dez Bryant
    Ridley (who I wasnt keeping anyway)

FOR

Collin Kaepernick OR Robert Griffin
    Percy Harvin
    DaMarco Murray
    Fourth Round Pick

SO my new lineup would be

QB1: Cam
    QB2: Kaepernick/Griffin III

RB1: Morris
    RB2: McFadden

WR1: Bowe
    WR2: Harvin
    WR3: V.Jax

TE: (Draft)
    Flex: Jones Drew

Do you guys feel that the trade makes my team better? I am leaning Captain Cap, but RGIII is also great.

I just dont know if I should pull the trigger, by trading Martin I get DMC in my lineup, and by trading Dez (who I hate) I get a guy primed to explode (or to miss half the year) and a guy I wasnt keeping anyway is gonna net me a decent mid draft pick. But the real treat here is a huge upgrade to my fantasy point QB situation. Also, which QB should I get?

What do you guys think?? I hope I was clear enough. If you have any questions please ask. Thanks!

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Stand pat.

You will not hate Dez after this season.

The downgrade from Martin to Murray will not be worth getting DMC in the line up. If anything why don't you keep him over V Jax?

We all know RBs are at a premium, especially this year with so many good QBs and WRs. Just saying.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you do stand pat... not so sure about Flacco. I think you're buying into that Superbowl hype. His best receiver is who? I don't even know... Jacoby Jones? Torrey Smith is 1-trick pony. And Flacco has never been all that great in fantasy (or real life until the recent playoffs when Boldin made wild catches and he only had to score like 13pts to beat NE).

Dalton is getting more passing options this year and a more pass happy scheme from what I've heard. And Ridley was a top back but I have no clue what to expect out of NE on any given day. Tebow is gonna be getting 35 carries for all I know.

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I think if you can get a Cam + RGIII combo in a 2-QB league, you have to go for it.

5. YaosDirtyStache

Thanks guys! I modified the trade.

Its is now:

Dez + MJD + Ridley + 5th rounder

for

Collin Kaep + Harvin + Murray + 4th rounder.

I am gonna roll the dice on Collin, I wanna try him...RG3 injury risk is too much to handle at the moment...one bad hard cut and he rips his knee apart again.

I keep my Morris + Martin combo, + Cam and Kap you are talking about the most ground yards a game not to mention rushing TDs.

Plus 2 early round picks will help get me a TE or I can reach early on a good backup QB.

My team is primed to explode, I just need one of those SF youngins to step up in place of Crabtree.

6. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

I like that trade for you, Percy is gonna go wild in Seattle

7. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Why are you keeping McFadden instead of Ridley? The Patriots have no receivers, they will rely heavily on the run this year, and DMC will be on IR before week 7 anyways. I can't believe people still want DMC on their team, the dude is made of glass. If you plan on playing in the playoffs, he will not be there to help you. Keep Ridley, and pickup Shane Vareen if you can as a handcuff. Trade DMC for whatever you can get.

8. YaosDirtyStache

With the trade I just made, I am not sure about keeping him, I have to choose now between him and LawFirm for my 5th RB.

I mean, I have Doug Martin and Alfred Morris and gonna have Murray and Gore, in a 2RB/1Flex league so I may try to trade DMC, and find a way to snag LaMarr Miller.

So my new lineup with the trade is

QB1: Cam Newton
    QB2: Collin Kaepernick

WR1: Percy Harvin
    WR2: Dwayne Bowe(ner)
    WR3: Vincent Jackson

RB1: Doug Martin
    RB2: Alfred Morris

Flex: Murray

Pre Draft Keeper Bench: Frank Gore and (DMC/LawFirm)

however...

should I let DMC AND LawFirm walk and keep James Jones?

I have too many decent RB's. I dunno how I amassed them to be honest.

9. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Well I definitely would let BGE go, since the Bengals spent a mid-2nd on Giovanni Bernard. He will be a good RB in their system, so I expect BGE to only get 5-10 carries a game.

The Raiders are going to be a terrible team this year, they will likely have the number 1 pick next year, as I could see them going 0-16. They are terrible from top to bottom, and they have a ton of dead money eating their capspace. They are tanking this year, so I would avoid all Raiders this year in FF. DMC is a big gamble on his own, but the way the Raiders are setup to fail next year makes him even more worthless.

I think you are set on RBs with 4 deep. Be sure to pick up another in the draft for insurance, maybe a rookie that looks to get a bigger role like Bernard, Ball, Bell or Lacy. I'd definitely keep James Jones over those two RBs, but if you can swing a trade for a better WR by packaging DMC and James Jones, go for it. I think Jones will have a very good year in 2013, but you could certainly find someone more consistent. Maybe you can find an owner willing to sell low on guys like Fitz, Colston, Wallace or Antonio Brown.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I wouldn't totally discount the Raiders from a fantasy football perspective. I think you're confusing real football with fantasy too much.

Consider this, last year the Raiders were horrendously bad and with DMC out the entire second half of the season Carson Palmer became a top 5 fantasy QB being a by product of being part of a team that could defend no one and had to score as much as possible to stay in games.

I would say Matt Flynn has a chance at that, exactly why I would target him as a late round backup. The receivers as well, a guy like Rod Streater (great possession guy that doesn't require burner speed to get open) would be a perfect target as well as their other young WR Juron Criner.

Everyone else is kind of iffy but you can't completely ignore these guys fantasy wise. Now football wins and loses are a totally different story.

11. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Ok, I just checked on this and Carson Palmer was 15th overall, and had two outstanding games in the second half of the season. (GB and NYJ) If you want to hitch your wagon to the Raiders garbage time points, then be my guest.

I guess I should say that my first rule of Fantasy Football is consistency. I want guys that produce a baseline amount of points each week consistently due to the amount of times I expect them to get the ball. None of the Raiders players meet that requirement for me, nor do any Jags players for that matter (unless punting gives you points). I'm happy to write them off and find better prospects with higher ceilings late in the draft.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Wait what? The Raiders didn't even play the Packers or the Jets this past season.... where are you getting that from?

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/REG/RAIDERS

Look, I totally understand consistency, that's the way you win games week in and week out. But sometimes you are better off playing the matchups. I'm not saying you go for these guys at the top of the draft (DUH! That's a given) but they still hold value when they're going up against weaker defenses and the other team has a high octane offense.

You're not drafting these guys as your sleepers but they can fill a role when the circumstances arise.

Also you're going to pass on MJD just because the rest of the team sucks? Their points have to come from somewhere, So if he's healthy then why not?

13. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Yeah, I was looking at the NFL fantasy site, but I think the opponents got messed up for the 2012 stats in my FF league. Looks like they changed the schedule for the players based on their new teams, and it changed the opponents in the 2012 matchups. In any case, Carson is a late round pick as a backup QB. Personally I try to avoid picking two QBs in the draft if I can get 1 elite one. How many times a season do you need a backup QB to start anyways? Once for bye week, and maybe once or twice against a defense like the Bears or JJ Watt. I try not to waste roster spots on backup QBs unless I know I need them soon.

Yes, I will pass on MJD in the first two rounds this year, which is where I expect him to go. The Jags are going to be terrible, and I think they want to be terrible so they can get a QB to replace Gabbert. I don't want to trust a first or second round pick to him and hope that he can turn into something good when there are plenty of better options around. I would gladly take an elite QB over him at that point, or another RB.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Never draft a Raider.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I used that same tactic before and it helped me.

But you know what would have also helped? If I had a later round pick like RGIII or Luck who could possibly be used as trade bait for extra #1 or #2 positional players.

Honestly from now on my approach will be BPA not who I like or dislike. I'm not going with the sexy pick as others have and do I'm going with the guy with the best opportunity to produce and as you said be consistent.

Also its funny that everyone was/is down on the Raiders when only last year Run DMCs average draft position was 5-10. And AP was being drafted between the late 2nd and mid 3rd round. What a huge difference a season makes.

16. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Sure, but RG3 and Luck were generally 6-9 round picks, depending on the league type. I know I got Luck in one league last year in the 8th round. My starting QB was Rodgers, so I didn't really need him, but unfortunately I couldn't work out a trade involving him.

I'm not saying don't draft Raiders or Jags cause I don't like the team/players, it's more about the FF points ceiling. When teams do well, the players tend to step up their game and earn more points because they have something to play for. I think the Raiders, Jags, Jets and Bills will generally be worth writing off your board this year. I expect each of those teams to win fewer than 5 games and be a depressed, unmotivated lockerrooms. I expect them to have QB troubles, and that will greatly reduce any chances they have of producing from offensive positions. Now I could be wrong on these, and I may be in a position where one of their players seems more promising than other options, but I'll give the nod to a player of similar or slightly less value if his team is expected to be in the playoffs.

17. YaosDirtyStache

and just like that the HARVIN may be out. Damnit.

Anyone have any insight to what ANTONIO BROWN may do for me?

I have the 3rd pick in the non-keeper draft and looks like I may select him.

18. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Brown's a good pick, should be the #1 in Pittsburgh this year, and he returns some kicks (if you get points for that). What else is available?