1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bandwagoner, May 6, 2013.

1. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I agree.Keep Brooks!

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Brooks is a keeper is the price is right.

He was starting to get his mojo back in the Thunder series and I just had a feeling that even given plenty of time, we might see him breakout to the old Brooks we used to know.

3. ERC

ERC Member

I got Brooks' # from nba.com -> Players -> Aaron Brooks -> Season Splits.

Jan: 8 of 26
    Feb: 0 of 2
    Mar: 1 of 4
    Apr: 1 of 3
    Total: 10 of 35 (28.5%)

I'm in favor of keeping Brooks; he's a very solid player on a fairly reasonable contract. I just don't think he has THAT much advantage in 3p% over Beverley or Lin.

And I'm in no way implying Lin is a better shooter than Brooks; I'm just saying Lin's 3p% has steadily improved over the course of the season , whereas Brooks' was trending the other way.

Lin - Nov/Dec 27.9% vs. Mar/Apr 38.1%
    Brooks - Nov/Dec 40.6% vs. Mar/Apr 28.6%

Hope that makes sense.

4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

2.5 million for a 3rd string point guard is too much.

Especially since we are chasing a max contract player.

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Those numbers are so ridiculously misleading.

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Mchale don't like him, even if we keep him you won't see him on the floor.

7. ERC

ERC Member

It's worth repeating that I'm in favor of keeping Brooks. And those "ridiculously misleading" numbers are his stats, straight out of nba.com. It's not like I pulled them out of thin air.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure if you've been keeping up with current events or if you have been in stasis for the past year, but you might want to check out this article written by the guy who has broke Dwight Howard news a few times in the past.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9231725/dwight-howard-sign-houston-rockets

As long as there is "a chance" (think Dumb and Dumber "so your saying there's a chance") Morey wont pass on the opportunity to go all in AGAIN for Dwight for the sake of keeping Aaron Brooks.

No offense to the Brooks fans out there, but he's not worth taking that kind of risk if the opportunity is out there... AT ALL.

Back when Dwight avoided being traded to Houston there was no James Harden, there was no Jeremy Lin, and the LA Lakers weren't what the LA Lakers are today.... which is a team on the verge on a complete rebuild.

Things have changed dude. Houston is definitely an option if not favorites to land Dwight Howard outside of LA.

Yes, he would have to take less money guaranteed in year 5. Which in take home after taxes, if my math is correct, comes out to somewhere between 10 and 13 million More in year 5 if he re-signs in LA. The total on paper is 30 million, but with state income tax implications, the total take home after tax would be much closer than that.

So he would be gambling with that 5th year if he thinks he wouldn't be able to sign somewhere for 10 to 13 million due to decline in play, injury, or major change in CBA salary ranges.

Even though the risk isn't that bad, I do agree that its still a financial risk he shouldn't be expected to take since very few susperstars EVER have passed on the opportunity to collect the extra guaranteed year that comes with their bird rights.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

His 11% three point shooting in the playoffs was critical...for the Thunder.

He was/is terrible on defense, and his offense is very liimited - as stated a thousand times on this board, he's good at getting around the first man, but of limited utility when he gets in the lane as he isn't an adept passer and struggles to finish underneath. He pretty much has his floater and nothing else, and if he does nothing it just wastes time on the shot clock.

Brooks is a 3rd string point guard - they are a dime a dozen. He's probably better than most 3rd stringers, but doesn't offer sufficient upgrade over other third stringers (john lucas III types) to justify the cost.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

He's a keeper for sure never should have been traded in the first place.

11. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

He's a very nice 3rd string pg to have.

12. srrono

srrono Member

Every role player on this team is expendable. I think we are looking at a completely different suporting cast if Howard or Paul is signed here. I have no doubts Morey can find role players to fill in the roster after/if a big move is made. I wonder if there is another Bev type role player over seas Morey is looking at not necessarily a PG.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

When he means "ridiculously misleading" he means misleading with respect to his own archaic 2009-ish perception of Brooks, that remains frozen in many people's memories, of his MIP halcyon days, rather than the actual reality of his current state as expendable journeyman backup better suited for Guangdong.

14. SK34

SK34 Member

The league is flooded with point guards.. you can find another "lin" (guy who turnovers the ball a lot, can't shoot 3s) or Beverly (hustle player), brooks (no defense, great offense) so it doesn't matter who goes and who stays. As long as the Rockets team is winning, I do not care who stays but if they effect the team in a negative way then TRADE THEM.

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Interesting descriptions of our PGs.

I found another Lin for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oel0ntzmh4s

16. stefanb

stefanb Member

This is exactly what I thought when I looked at our roster. When he hits those threes at key points in the game the fans go crazy. I know that because he played with Yao and McGrady fans love him and he'll sell some tickets. And you're right, this would give us better options in trading Lin. Lin isn't really liked by most core, longtime Rockets fans. We could ease some of the traffic on the board of LOFs that have a delusional view of Lin being a superstar. Lin can do no wrong, it's Harden's fault or the Rockets just aren't using him as a point guard. Typical blame everybody else syndrome. This was the worst one, "if it wasn't for Lin, the Rockets wouldn't be in the playoffs right now."

17. CCM721

CCM721 Member

What he means as misleading is if you include just one more month beyond those 4, he's shooting the 3 at a 35% clip.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Just Brooks even coming back and contributing in the playoffs is a good "welcome back" experience enough on its own. Can just enjoy it as that and its more than what coulda ever been expected.

There's no reason to guarantee him into the future plans when plans are to acquire 2 top 10 players in the league. When Brooks isnt even a top 2 at his own position on the team.

As mentioned already, there wasnt any James Harden then. And to a lesser extent no Jeremy Lin.

I wouldnt bet on him leaving the Lakers. But itd been very conceivable that he left the Magic THEN over to the Rockets if this current Rockets team was in place.

19. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

All stats are stats, but playing with them to make your point is what's misleading.

You cut off entire months of the season just to make your point. Using your sample, if he made 5 more threes, he would go from 28% to 43%. That's how small you made your sample by cutting off the months you didn't like.

20. WNBA

WNBA Member

no way Morey would keep Brooks.