1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 22, 2009.

1. choujie

choujie Member

I'll change the "can" to "could". It's still not out of then question with a very good PG running the show.

Yao was the deciding factor for Rox to pass the Blazers, for example.
    He attracts one and a half man one one end without the ball and basiclly shut down the paint for Blazers bid to do any damage inside.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

You think Yao calls the shots over Adelman?

Dude wrote something to the effect of "Brooks does what Yao tells him to do."

That's wrong. Above all else, Brooks does what Adelman and the coaching staff tell him to do.

On the same note, Yao does what Rick and the staff tell him to do.

Yao is a player. Rick is the coach and primary decision-maker when it comes to how the players play the game.

3. krockets

krockets Member

Coach can tell Brooks to do this and do that, but it doesn't mean Brooks could execute what Adelman told him... Plus, players don't listen to coaches all the time, especially for a players' coach like Adelman, so it won't surprise me if Brooks brain farted from time to time...

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You think Brooks is a below average finisher?

5. choujie

choujie Member

Maybe he was trying to, but he certainly didn't do a good job at that. All those hesitation and dribble maniac, I doubt RA would tell him to do that.

Untill Yao told him to pass more.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

How so?

7. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

keeping landry is more of a concern to me than keeping brooks. we lose landry and we won't have that two-head monter at PF anymore. :(

8. BrooksBall

What you are saying here is totally different than "Brooks does what Yao tells him to do."

I agree with what you are saying here. All players make mistakes at times, including Yao. Young players tend to do it more often.

Maybe you didn't mean what you wrote on the last page but "Brooks does what Yao tells him to do" just didn't sound right.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Although its entirely against his nature, if Yao were to say something along the lines of "either Adelman goes or I do", I'd bet that Adelman would be the one leaving.

10. BrooksBall

Agreed. That wasn't my point. I didn't mean Brooks always successfully does what Adelman asks of him. I was only making the point that Adelman is the one that runs the show, not Yao. You are absolutely right about what you say here. Brooks often fell short of doing what Adelman asked of him. The key is he was listening primarily to the head coach, not Yao. Yao is a good player but not an NBA head coach.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yes, Brooks is a below average finisher. If there's traffic, he'll normally try to force a wild shot.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i guess i must be crazy because i'd trade Brooks before i'd trade Lowrey (who i believe is more of a pg than Brooks).

I agree that Brooks is a nice player. His speed really destroyed the lakers. But the truth is that he's not a pg.

DD,
    He's one of the best prospects we've had in years, but he's not a pg. He's an undersized sg who is quick enough and has handles enough to get his shot off at will. But he has no court vision and will never be a true pg.

I prefer my 2's taller than 6 feet. Sell high I say.

13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Around the rim? Yes.

14. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Same; Brooks is bastly overrated right now. Other fans on various basketball forums seems to love him more than the Rockets fans (because we have some people who actaully watch Rockets games and understands Brooks' glaring weaknesses)

15. BrooksBall

Awww, hell no! Let's not get into this cash cow crap.

Yao is a good basketball player but that isn't what keeps his grip on this franchise's nutsack. He ain't that good. He ain't even in the same stratosphere as Hakeem who we actually did end up trading.

Getting back to the point, I'm talking about "as long as Rick is head coach," he calls the shots on the basketball court.

Unreal... get off your Yao is the almighty and most powerful force this franchise has ever seen mumbo jumbo bullcrap. This was the first season he was even the best player on the team.

16. krockets

krockets Member

It didn't mean Brooks has to do everything Yao want him to do though. From the interview, it was just saying that Yao tells Brooks to be at certain spot when he bring up the ball. (Brooks failed to do that prior to the conversation)

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

outside of billups and parker (who are more of a scoring PG), the championship teams haven't had a true PG (for the last 15 years or so).

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he is a cash cow, regarless of whether you admit it or not. adelman would go before yao goes.

however, i do think they don't ask for yao's feelings on every move they make. or else, they wouldn't have traded rafer to have brooks start b/c rafer does a hell of a better job than brooks getting yao the ball. or they would have traded tracy ALREADY.

however, if they had to keep anybody, it's yao. the rockets get too much international exposure.

19. BrooksBall

I have no doubt about that and wasn't refuting it in my last post. It's sad but it's true.

I just meant let's not get into that discussion. I was strictly talking about who runs the show on the basketball court. Even if Yao was unhappy and Rick was shipped out, Yao still wouldn't be calling the shots. The next coach would.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Sorry, but you can't ignore his financial impact on the team. It's true he's nowhere near Hakeem's level as a basketball player, but Hakeem was never near Yao's level as a cash cow.