1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Spending now would be in anticipation of having a successful season which would lead to higher returns for the team base on gate receipts, merchandising and others.

2. dantonv08

dantonv08 Member

I agree Brooks has a lot of potential and A LOT of rookies struggle(this was his first full year) at being consistent...

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Brooks isn't untouchable. If there is a deal we can't pass up, the Rockets will make the trade. Whatever Morey decides to do, I trust him.

4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

see this is the problem that we had since when? since ever, I don't think we ever had any true all star point guard in the rockets History, except Stevie. I think AB has the potential to be all star point guard, and yes we should keep him, and please guys stop making those redicules ideas bout steve nash and baron davis, we don't need them, we have good point guard (who is little bit undersized) but he has great future and let him grow under our eyes..

;)

5. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Yeah finally somebody with some sense. I have been saying this out loud to myself but everybody is going Rubio crazy can he pass hell yeah, can he handle hell yeah, does he have height yeah. Can he defend no, can he shoot not really, can Aaron bench out bench press him probably. The guy gave the Lakers fits and Kobe said you have to almost treat him like Tony Parker, and Phil had to game plan for him. He has a great work ethic and mark my words will be a star.

6. rocksclo

rocksclo Member

WE need to keep AARON.
    He played big games in the playoff to show his heart 2 games with POR 2 games with LA. We dont have time to keep buiding up rookies like rubio or lynn coz you never know if Yao's gonna leave Houston. We had great chemistry last year and with Yao and maybe another scoring SG we'll have high stakes. Aaron is something special.
    Yao is hard to get the ball to. and when Yao goes down we need a player that can step up to score. Aaron showed he can! Unless we get CP3 or DH, I'd say we keep Aaron. He's going to be an elite guard next coming season.
    KEEP AARON PLZ MOREY. TRADE MAC FOR VINCINITY!!!!

7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Why do you say this? He was defensive player of the year in the Spanish league and led in steals. At his young age he is already one of the top defenders at his position over there.

8. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

BTW, I just did a bit of searching to see what Rubio's exact wingspan is and found this:

Link: http://newsok.com/nba-notebook/article/3379655

6-5 and 6-8 wingspan?! That's one BIG PG.

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

if rondo is being shopped, why would brooks be anywhere near not for trade?

10. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

I agree completely. We saw his potential in the post season. This kid has heart and desire to be great, and we know how important that is. He is only going to get better and they trade him, they will only regret it.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Boston isn't serious about trading Rondo unless they get a king's ransom. They would only move him if they could pick up Rubio and another substantial asset, not for Rubio straight up. They may be open to packaging Allen and Rondo, but it would have to be for Rubio and a younger shooting guard or possibly to get Chris Paul or something like that.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

1 - knicks - $608 mil
    2 - LA - $560 mil
    3 - bulls - $500 mil
    4 - pistons - $477 mil
    5 - rockets $462 mil
    6 - mavs - $461 mil

so you're right leeb, you can make money in other ways. dallas has ZERO marketable players and yet their worth is just as much as us (despite having yao and tracy). it's about marketing your team right, having great local TV deals (like NY does with MSG-arena + tv deal where it makes most of its money).

but having yao does make it easier, simply for the fact of global exposure internationally. i don't think yao helps that much with marketing in the US, outside of the big chinese cities like LA or NY (hence you don't see a lot of yao jerseys in america). personally, i have NEVER seen a yao jersey worn by someone casually in california unless it's at a game. so in america, you're right, not so much.

but around the world, i think yao helps out a lot.

but i bet you if we had mark cuban, he would trade yao if he can. he can make his money regardless b/c he's so into his team.

13. mms

mms Member

I like Brooks' game, I mean, when he does the right thing. People here are tend to overestimate his talent and value merely based on his performance of the past POs. He played against Blake and Fisher, arguably the worst two point guards in the whole playoffs. Brooks' weakness is obvious and I DO NOT believe he is able to become an all* player. So, sell him high please.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I have a problem with a 6'5, slow footed pg that has no post up game. Does that sound familiar with all the big international pg's? Plannic, Jaric, Jasecavochick were amoung the big international pg's. If the rockets were in the market for a big pg, they shouldve signed livingston on the cheap and let him heal last year. At least livingston had shown in the nba that he's actually quick enough to stay in front of quick pg's and would post those guys up. It makes zero sense to have a big pg who can't post up smaller pg.

I'm all for trading anyone on the team, but to get a young player with special skills like aaron would take more than a prospect. Now if we were talking about a package for a guy like baron davis, cool, but not for a old guy like nash or a young guy like rubio.

15. t_mac1

don't listen to those rumors. i'm sure teams are "asking" about him, and boston is simply looking at what rondo's worth right now. and he's worth A TON.

16. t_mac1

oh HELL NAW. dude needs a freestyle system to play well at this age. his game is beyond terrible right now.

17. leebigez

He doesn't need a freestyle system to be successful. When he played under the controlled environment of paul silas, he was a all star, big time player then. I used to argue with people on this board when it was davis,francis,miller, and bibby earlier in this decade. I used to say till I was blue in the face that all 3 were better than francis and once francis loses a little of his exploosion, he would be out the league. My o my,I was right again. Davis is like a lot of players in that he plays better when he's happy and on winning teams. If u go look at his history u will see when he on a winning team he doesn't get nicked as often or missses games. All this he needs to play in a wide open offense is crazy. You brought up his age, but he hasn't turned 30 yet and like billups and cassell, I can see him playing at a high level for at least 3 more years which is the rockets window. If you can get davis,camby,and Jordan for tracy and brooks, I think u do it. Then u still could use camby,scola,hayes,barry,and cook's contract to get another high quality player or players. That's 20m in expiring right there for those who are counting.

18. t_mac1

idk, i had league pass last year and saw him having to play halfcourt under dunleavy b/c he prefers an inside out offense and davis was horrendous. just terrible. he played just as bad as tracy did on one freakin' knee, and that's just ridiculous. tracy had a HIGHER PER than baron did last year. and tracy could not play any worse (shot better...).

i rather wait on tracy getting "potentially" healthy than signing davis.

19. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

I hope they keep Brooks. With the confidence He gained from the playoffs, He could only get better. He is slowly learning how to play like a legitimate point guard. A pg that passes. He also is starting to adjust to Adelman's system. Unless a blockbuster trade comes up, The Rockets are smart to just keep Brooks.

20. leebigez

I really didn't want to turn this thread into that, but someone always has to bring up how valuable yao is to the rockets. If les was on his peas and cues, the valley would be on lock for the rockets. You can't go to laredo without seeing a manu billboard. There is a lot of money down in the brownsville/mcallen area or the valley area. Les got a new stadium which he deserved before any houston owner and then he go yao, but the rockets have always been a good value team, but the summit or compaq center didn't have the suites,boxes, parking,and concession to be a high value/revenue team. Like I said, if the owner is doing his job, he is squeezing every dollar out of his area as he can. I do think yao opens a lot of doors for les, but your businesses should be separate from each other. That's why owners get in trouble mixing the two. U don't hear about Detroit losing money and they are in a area where their main industry is the us auto makers. True enough, auburn hills is almost like being in sugarland or the woodlands, but a lot of those people in that area are affected by the us auto workers. The whole cash cow thing is severly overrated on this board.