1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kayaking on Buffalo Bayou

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Feb 15, 2014.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

With the MAJOR transformation Buffalo Bayou is undergoing and the renovation of the historical Sunset Coffee building into a "activity hub"; that will include Kayak rentals, do you think that this activity will catch on here remotely to the extend that it has in Austin on Lady Bird River? Granted i understand the natural beauty of Buffalo Bayou is nowhere near that of Lady Bird, but with whats going on over there that place will look grand once finished.

I myself have wanted to Kayak down Buffalo Bayou. Has anyone done this on a semi regular basis? I would like to know how i would go about renting a kayak

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Don't live in Houston, but I love to kayak. I wish I could do it year round, or at least more often. Sometime when I visit, I will probably try this.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the 1950's some kids were playing on the shores of Buffalo Bayou downtown and blew themselves up with unexploded Civil War ordinance buried in the mud.

Just saying.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I've seen plenty of people kayaking in buffalo bayou before. Looks fun.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I live down the street from a place that rents kayacks for the buffalo bayou.

http://bayoucityadventures.org/index.htm

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

A popular trend is Katy residents are practicing kayaking on the Buffalo Bayou in their evacuation plans.

7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really?

8. NateNate

NateNate Member

Thanks, those prices are ridiculous for a rental though.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

checklist before you go:

1. kayak
    2. oars
    3. hazmat suit

1 person likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Armaund (sp) Bayou Nature Center, Buffalo from the loop to downtown, salt marshes in the bays anywhere on the coast

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

haha. i wouldnt recommend going for a swim myself. if i fell in off my kayak, it wouldnt be the end of the world but you better bet im getting back in my kayak as fast as i can.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Watch out for dead bodies and wear that Hazmat suit as bigtexxx advises.

Side note: Kayaking in Austin doesn't carry the biological risk of the Houston bayous.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

not true...different risk

many have been grinded as they fell through that dam over by hula hut on Lake Austin

14. hairyme

hairyme Member

I was totally unaware of the Buffalo Bayou revamp--I'm excited to see how this all turns out. Though, as far kayaking goes, all I can think of is...

Mosquitoes?

15. DreamRoxCoogFan

I did it a few years ago- it was a lot of fun, but the current is slow so you have to do a lot of the work. Make sure you don't go too far past Allen's landing- it's terrible after that.

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Saw probably 20-25 people kayaking today in different groups. The buffalo bayou transformation has been nothing short of remarkable.

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

My folks live near the bayou near Hershey Park. I've seen some kayakers nearly flip their kayak because the water is pretty rough in that area. I'm not sure if it exactly part of the Buffalo Bayou system or another system, but the waters look intimidating in certain parts.

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Water looks nasty though. There's like a giant pile of garbage clogged up on one of the ends of the bayou. I see it pretty much on a daily basis since I go to UH Downtown.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Exactly what I was thinking

True story: we went on a field trip to buffalo bayou in high school, as soon as we got there, we found a dead body in the bayou....

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I too live at the intersection of the Bayou and the Beltway. There are kayak trailers parked in the Hershey Park lot under the bridge almost every weekend.

Interesting fact: the current in the Bayou at that point is from the outflow of the sewage treatment plant. Not that the water is not clean, sewage plant engineers have a tradition of drinking the treated water when commissioning a new plant, but that's why it actually flows.

The bike path that runs the 4 or 5 miles from there to the Addicks Reservoir park is pretty cool. I've always wondered why it doesn't run all the way from Highway 6 to downtown where it could actually be useful for bike commuters. I need to get Da1 on that (though I know Memorial and River Oaks folks don't want 'people' between them and the bayou.)

Nice trail map for the new downtown section:
    http://www.buffalobayou.org/documents/bbp_trailmap_may2013.pdf

#20 Dubious, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014