1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi or Bird?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheGreat, May 7, 2019.

?

Who do you go for as your franchise cornerstone?

1. Kawhi

2. Bird

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I feel like I'm losing my mind with some of the comments casually dismissing Bird.

s3ts likes this.
  2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

These arguments are so tough to judge from different eras, skill sets, player development, coaching, roster composition, competition (position, team, and league), individual achievement, and team success. It's like MJ vs. Kobe vs. LeBron. It's hard, when two players play two different positions or purposes.

It's a tricky argument, like people say Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever. Again, mostly based on accomplishments and statistics, being on a great team. But, if you ask me who the most talented QB ever, my answers would be Marino, Manning, Young, Favre, Rodgers, Unitas, Tarkenton, Brees, Montana, and Elway. People would say you are "trashing" Brady or undermining his clutchness. Reggie Miller might have been the most clutch shooting and playing shooting guard in the playoffs. Does that mean he's better than say James Harden, George Gervin, Vince Carter,or Tracy McGrady? I'd say no, all four players are better playmakers and are better and diverse scorers.

This is kind of the problem with Kawhi vs. Bird. Kawhi is more of scoring SG/SF versus Bird as a "quintessential" point forward who can pass, shoot, and score. In that assessment, alone, I'd take Bird in yesteryear's game and today's game. His 3 point shooting would be amplified in today's game of floor spacing with quick passing, while he is a supreme passer himself. And, he brings alot of savvy to the locker room. This is going to kill some MJ/Kobe fans, but Magic and Bird would fit much better with players and teams of today. It's much closer to the style of the 80s than the 90s/early 2000s and would win more championships. Both players were pretty unselfish for superstars, while Bird can play off the ball and is great mid-range/3 point. He may not break down as fast with modern medicine.

Bird is far greater player than Kawhi on individual accolades and achievement.

But with that being said, something happened in the league as Bird started to near retirement. The evolution of the protypical small forward, which you could point to Scottie Pippen. The forward who could not only pass, shoot, and score, but guard 3 or more position for the entire game. Like Pippen, Leonard can be indomitable on defense. He can take whole superstars out of the game, while also been great rotation and help defense. If he had the luxury of the defensive rules from 2000s and earlier. Almost no one is scoring against Kawhi, and if they do, it'll be difficult. Of these type of players, Kawhi might be the best.

For a final choice, I'd probably take Kawhi, because of his defense. It's hard finding great scorers and playmakers, but it's also hard to find shut down defenders. Kawhi is both, he's also an unselfish player.

Zboy likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Not denying that Kawhi is the better defender, but does anyone here remember that Bird was a 3x all defensive team? And back to back to back MVP?

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

That Celtic team was stacked.

I think you can get similar results with Kawhi. He is a freak.

Dont forget that a big reason that Lebron's super team on the Heat lost to Spurs in the Finals with Lebron struggling was because of Kawhi, and a young Kawhi at that too. Lebron would have lost two Finals in a row to the Spurs if not for Ray Allen's last second heroics.

Put some great players around Kawhi, and that team will be a super team.

I would gut out the entire team to land this guy on the Rockets. He is special. Very very special.

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Larry Joe Bird and it ain't close.
    Bird was a better:
    - shooter
    - rebounder
    - passer
    - winner

Kawhi is a better defender/athlete. That's about it.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Kawhiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!