1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi Leonard is a stud - what's his ceiling?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swishh, May 15, 2014.

1. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Adding Leonard and subtracting Harden would mean we would be further away from a title than we are now. Harden struggled but come on, do u think Leonard could ever have a 25 5 and 5 season? I don't think so. Leonard can't even be counted on to stay healthy and play 30+ minutes a game. Leonard will NEVER be the best sf in the game while Harden will continue to be a top 5 vote getter in the MVP voting. I agree with a lot of stuff u say but come on bro

Outlier likes this.
  2. split41

split41 Member

Your going to need more than a flame suit, youre walking on the sun with that kind of comment!

3. watashi315

watashi315 Member

You're absolutely correct. I've been following the Spurs on and off for the better part of a decade and in those early 2000 years when Duncan was in his absolutely prime, the Spurs ran their offense through him. As the years went by, the growth of Parker and Ginobilli obviously took a lot of that responsibility away from him. Furthermore, the league has turned into more of a guard's game as it has become more of a fast-flowing type of offense.

I think a lot of people misinterpret my comments. I'm not questioning whether Duncan should the top PF of all time, as clearly his stats and awards indicate he is. I'm not questioning whether he is a great player with talent. He definitely is.

The central argument to my comment was could Duncan have reproduced the same or similar kind of result if he had played for other teams OR had different coaches in his career? And to answer my own question, I said we'll never know since it's most likely he'll finish is career with the Spurs playing under Popavich.

4. iamtvi

iamtvi Member

Lol! Those last couple years with the Spurs for sure. BSB just shut it down and coasted all year, and the woke up just in time for the playoffs.

5. iamtvi

iamtvi Member

Having watched nearly every game of his for the entirety of his career, I guarantee you that Duncan would have been easily as great on any team.

During his prime (which was quite a long time), the Spurs ran absolutely everything through Duncan. Their bread-and-butter play was called "four down," and consisted of Duncan on the low post just outside the paint. They ran that play 30-40 times a game, with Duncan controlling the ball movement. He'd either post up and shoot that patented bank shot, or move the ball out if he got double teamed, which is what he actually would try to do to get the rest of the team involved.

Back then, plays like "the loop" and others which are predicated on that beautiful misdirection motion offense you see today weren't even a glimmer in Pops eye. It's been evolving for awhile, but has really taken off in the last three or four years.

6. Jackass

Jackass Member

He's good. But c'mon guys. Even Chandler Parsons will look like Manu Ginobili on the Spurs.

Outlier likes this.
  7. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

how about leonard now?

16 pts in 1st game
    and 24 points total since game 1

as I said, everybody was over rating him so much when they killed a weak blazers team

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

At least he didn't choke against a weak Blazers team.

9. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

it happens when a team has no coaching and just playing on pure talent

10. Carl Herrera

How come Dwight Howard didn't choke, then?

11. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

the game was tailored to him, and we repeatedly dumped it into him. something we never done before at the rate they did. as a result, it hurt Harden. Although I do have to admit Harden seem disinterested, but I will say that was his age factoring into that and he'll mature and grow from it.

However we needed to run different plays and not be so damn predictable with just dumping it into Howard.

12. Carl Herrera

Was the defensive game plan also tailored to Dwight and hurt Harden?

13. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

we all know he was a defense liability and that's also on coach for not making him accountable. mchale said sampson was the one who held him accountable before, but yet he's the head coach? :confused:

anyways this is a Leonard thread not harden.

14. Carl Herrera

If a guy needs a coach to "hold him accountable" in order to even try on defense in the friggin playoffs, and a closely contested playoff series at that, there is something seriously wrong with him, especially judging by the standards that we must apply to star players. Dwight Howard didn't need a coach to "hold him accountable" in the playoffs.

The scoreboard should be enough to "hold him accountable."

Some guys, like Kawhi, have heart. Other guys not so much.

#114 Carl Herrera, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The Blazers ran more of their offense through their front court and point guard, and less through their wings than they usually do. Harden might be the only guy in nba history who gets criticised for having 15 ppg at god awful percentages scored on him by a 16 ppg scorer.

Portland offense playoffs (vs us) v regular season, obviously all their minutes went up

Lopez slightly down
    Aldridge way up
    Batum slightly down
    Matthews way down
    Lillard up

16. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

exactly, the only stretch i remember harden played bad on defense was late in one of the games where howard covered for him. mathews had a good 1st game and really nothing after that. this is from memory, so i'm not 100% on that

17. Mr Chuck Norris

Ummm guys Kawhi?

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That has nothing to do with anything.

The point was he was overrated.... which he was.

19. jvu

jvu Member

damnn what could've been..

Bev/Lin
    Harden
    Leonard/Parson(6)
    Jones
    Howard

We could've traded leonard or parsons in a package deal for Love easily...

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

So you're just gonna turn every ****ing thread into a Harden thread?