1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi Leonard is a stud - what's his ceiling?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swishh, May 15, 2014.

1. Asian Sensation

Going to disagree with that one. He's the ideal 3rd piece and perfect 4th piece to a Championship team. He's not nearly good enough of a playmaker offensively to be a 1st or 2nd piece on a contending team.

If Leonard was able to put up 21 ppg without sacrficing other things (mainly effeciency) he WOULD be doing that with the Spurs right now. It's not like Pop is holding him back and his teammates sure as hell aren't either. I'm sure Pop, Duncan, parker, and Gino would all welcome it actually if he could do that.

2. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Rockets would AT LEAST have to throw in Parsons too.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Me too. Not a knock against Parsons, but Leonard has more talent. He isn't asked to do as much as Parsons is. I wouldn't want him as my best player, or really my 2nd best player, but I'd be very happy with him as my 3rd best player.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol.

Harden would be a all time great under Popovic.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's not just about PPG. It's about making big plays on both ends.

Leonard still has some growing to do. He's years younger than Chandler and consistency was a bit of an issue during the season. But when you take into account that he wasn't even playing 30 mpg during the year it's easy to see why.

He has really impressed me in the last two playoffs. An excellent role player.

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

wouldn't he basically be the white prime Manu?

7. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I don't think you can say that if he will ever be capable of it, he should be doing it now. No one on the team averaged more than 17PPG. Plus the 21PPG estimate is assuming 1. that he is going to improve (you can't expect him to be at his peak at 22!) and 2. that he's going to play more than 28MPG.

8. Asian Sensation

I thought you were implying today when you said could. 2-3 years down the road... I'm sure he could as well. Today he is what he is.. An excellent 3rd or 4th piece.

9. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I was just answering the OP's question. I definitely don't think he could do that now, I think that would be what he would be capable of at his peak.

10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

his game right now reminds me of Ariza but more athletic. Pretty deadly 3 point shooter, and can play defense. Unless he adds more to his game, which he probably will, considering he's like 21 y/o. Just feel people are too high on him right now.

11. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Shawn Marion sounds about right.

Very good humble, quiet player.

12. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Thanks again, Maury.

13. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Scottie Pippen

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have a really good 4, and/or a really good 1. Yes, Leonard can do things Chandler can't do, particularly on the defensive end, and is younger, but Chandler is, in my opinion, certainly good enough to start at the 3 on a contending team. Don't know that I'd say that about any of our 4's and 1's.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

You give Shawn Marion way too much credit. :grin:

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I would take the better all around player over one who is fatally flawed.

Kawhi made more of a difference vs. Portland in the playoffs than Harden did.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

(sigh)

Carl, don't you have an update on Patterson or something? Geez!

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I have seen Harden's true face. It's the same feeling I got with TMac's Toronto game.

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Highly debatable, man.

20. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

Neal averaged 6.8 ppg while shooting 38% from the floor in last years playoffs. And even in the reg season he was always a 9pts/40% guy, just like he is now . Belinelli and Mills have both been better this season than Neal ever was for the spurs.

Yes and regardless they're both playing at the same level as when they were in SA (my point). Their production hasn't dropped off at all, per 36 numbers are practically identical. It wasn't a case where the system made them look better than they are.