1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Katy Tigers Football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by finalsbound, Dec 12, 2015.

1. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

Currently up 38-0 vs. Cibolo Steele (whose dreams the Tigers undoubtedly haunt). So, barring a miracle we'll be playing Lake Travis next Saturday night at 8:00pm.

I find it so hilarious that Katy got itself into trouble AGAIN with an ineligibility gaffe. At church growing up, the whole youth group staff it seemed had played football for the late 90's team that got disqualified for basically the same thing. It was awesome, we got several "testimonies" about how traumatic the experience was for them. I mean, the players were ON THE BUS, READY TO LEAVE and they told them to get off, that Katy would no longer be playing for state. That's pretty rough, but it didn't stop everyone from snickering about their melodramatic re-tellings behind their back. I mean these dudes would have to stop in the middle of it because they were crying.

For the sake of all those current rice farmers' kids at KHS whose lives COULD HAVE been defined by some dumb admin who didn't read the whole rulebook, I'm happy they applied the mercy rule. This year's team is pretty special and that would have been unfortunate! :mad:

Katy is back to State, where they belong, baby!

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

I watched the game. The first half was tight -- Katy couldn't string anything together consistently. Then the 2nd half they simply dominated. Katy did have a bit of help with Cibolo's QB getting quasi-injured early in the game. Next week will be a true battle vs. a great Lake Travis team.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Manvel so far gave Katy the best fight. There was a controversial call were Katy roughed up the handler and they overturned it. I dont know about next year since all these kids are going to college, just too many gaps to fill if you ask me. Nurse told me he knows the athletic director and that basically they are all using steroids.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Thinking about going to the next game. They need to defeat all those douchebags from Austin.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

So both 6A championship games are Houston vs. Austin.

Galena Park North Shore vs. Westlake

Katy vs. Lake Travis

I'll predict Katy and Westlake win. Westlake has Southlake Carroll's old coach (who won multiple state championships), Todd Dodge, and North Shore doesn't appear to have much of an offense. Stout D, though.

6. desihooper

desihooper Member
    Supporting Member

Todd Dodge, just like when he was at Carroll in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006, got his team past Allen, ending their hopes of a 4-peat. Should be a great Championship weekend down at NRG! Both Katy and Lake Travis are undefeated at 15-0, and Westlake (14-1) has only one loss thus far (North Shore is 12-3).

7. Bob Barker 007

I think Friendswood gave the best fight :grin:

8. Kam

Kam Member

Katy has been cheating forever.

David Barron had an article talking about Katy, and other suburban schools dominating High School football vs the old days of the west Texas schools dominating.

The schools that dominate are the one city, one school schools like Allen.

1 person likes this.
  9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I saw a LOT of those Dodge coached Carroll teams back then. He likes to give his 2nd string a lot of playing time, so the entire squad never really tires out. The guy knows how to win (at the HS level at least).

I'm still shocked that Allen is gone. Hard to believe Westlake is that stinkin' good.

Going to be a great game.

Lets go Mustangs! North Shore probably had the easiest run to the Title game. Still hasn't sunk in that a team from one of the easiest districts beat a team from one of the hardest districts in the state. Totally didn't expect North Shore to beat Judson - their only real test in the playoffs. North Shore hasn't played a ranked team since pre-district. Although all of their loses were to the #3, #4 & #7 teams at the time. Hopefully they've improved since then.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

North Shore's D is suffocating. Several college players, including a star DE and CB.

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate

They weren't so great back when I was there. Class of 87

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

they "look" that way every year thanks to their easy district schedule. They had the easiest path to the title game out of all the 6A teams in contention for Div I and Div II. They didn't play any ranked teams in the playoffs and when they played them pre-district, they lost all 3 games.

Although, I sure hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Go Mustangs!

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Friendswood just has too many white kids. I like to see the stat sheet on race for all football teams. You need black athletes to succeed. You know what I'm saying?

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

I generally agree about the schedule, but look who North Shore lost to: (fyi all three games were very close)

1. Manvel (possibly the 2nd best team in the state...barely lost to Katy who is in my view easily the best team in the state)

2. Spring Westfield - a very good team...who lost to Westlake in the playoffs

3. Euless Trinity - was undefeated and then inexplicably lost to South Grand Prairie (wtf??)

That's a ridiculously challenging schedule in non-district play. Yes, they lost all three games, but all three were close and they were battle tested early to refine their game. I expect Westlake to win, but North Shore appears to be legit.

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I generally agree with most of this - but again, North Shore hasn't played anybody in the playoffs that was actually good until Converse Judson, and that was a tight game. I don't think Westlake will have any problems with "the Show". For me, I guess I've seen this team start every year highly touted and destroy district play, only to lose to the first halfway decent team they face in the playoffs.

Since the 2003 State Championship team, they only had 1 team that I really thought could win it all - when they beat Southlake Carroll in 2009 in Corsicana..but then they ran in to Pearland in the Regionals and lost.

But I'm looking at it this way..Its 1 game and anything can happen. If Trinity can lose to SGP and Allen can lose to..well..anybody..then hey, we can beat Westlake.

or at least I'm hoping so.

16. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Member

Tex where did you go to high school? You seem to know your high school football surprisingly well.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

None of these schools. I just follow the high school football playoffs closely. I find them to be very exciting.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Just FYI, the game will be on fox sports southwest.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Season over. Time for Katy to go hit the recruiting trail. :)

Get the next recruiting class in there!

Texas HS FB: same teams every year. ZzZzZzZz

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Katy defense players hit so ****ing hard they just catapult outta nowhere. The whole time I was just saying ooh I know he's not getting up after that tackle