1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Katy Man charged with Hate Crime for Knocking Out Elderly Black Man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScolaIsBallin, Dec 28, 2013.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

and that's say a lot.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

IMO, it is not a hate crime, it is simply a crime - there is no need to inject a word to make a crime seem worse than it is......

Just pay the price, hate or not a crime is a crime.

I don't believe there is any distinction - it should just be a crime....calling something a hate crime doesn't change the facts of the case - nor should it make the case any worse etc.

Just charge them with a crime - making any kind of distinction for raise, sexuality or any other thing is uneccessary - just charge them with the appropriate crime.

DD

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So there are no degrees of murder? Stealing a candy bar is the same as stealing a million dollars? After all, a crime is a crime - right?

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

Wow DD...I'm flabbergasted. I've seen a lot of your posts over the years and guys give you a hard time frequently, but I've always respected the fact that you had opinions that you weren't afraid to share and defend, even the ones that I didn't agree with at all. This on the other hand...speechless. You seem like a fairly intelligent person so I'm not going to question whether or not you understand the meaning of what a hate crime is. For that reason with me fully assuming that you do know, your opinion on anything for me just became worthless and I'm sorry to say that because you've been pretty much a mainstay here since I've been a member and obviously prior to.

5. DaDakota

Not what I said, I am saying there is no need to add the word "Hate" into any crime.

Punching out an old man no matter what the skin color or sexuality should be the same sentence, or punishment.

Calling something a Hate crime is propaganda, IMO - just charge him with the assault and battery he would normally be charged with and let the judge and jury sentence him according to the severity.

It is uneccessary nor germaine to the case - a crime is a crime.

DD

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Knock Out game was a fallacy . . .some made up isht by some reporter who linked up a few knuckleheads doing stupid *****.

Seriously . . . . .

Now, other knuckleheads/copycats will make it a 'real thing'.

News making news rather than reporting it.

Rocket River

7. DaDakota

Let me put it another way to explain it better as many seem to be missing the point, I am not saying what he did was not despicable and worthy of being tossed away for a long time.

I am saying that because the elderly gentleman was African American should have no bearing.

What if the guy hated Indian people, or Jews, or Muslims, or Chinese folks - do they deserve less protection because they are harder to charge with a "Hate" crime?

I am saying that a crime like this should be charged as a crime and the word "Hate" or status of it, is uneccessary in bringing up the charge.

If a guy beat up someone over seeing his girlfriend kiss him, how would that be any different than a guy punching out someone because he was gay?

Shouldn't the severity of the beating suffice?

I just think adding the word "Hate" to a criminal charge is pure PR, and uneccessary - just my .02.

DD

8. bobrek

The word hate adds a 'degree' to the crime, similar to first degree murder, grand theft, felony possession. Committing a crime solely based on race or religion adds to that crime.

Adding the 'hate' aspect to the crime is intended to deter future crimes that are based solely on prejudices.

9. DaDakota

Yeah, but by doing that you ultimately discriminate against other people that have had the same crime perpetrated against them.

Degrees are already part of the law, there are degrees of every crime, why would a "Hate" crime be any worse than him punching out any other old man?

I mean that makes no sense to me, just charge the guy with his crime, base it on the criminal laws that are in place, and toss away the key.

I want to be clear here, I am NOT defending this *******, he should go away for a long long time.

I am saying that everyone is due the same protections and that this is actually making segregation worse, IMO.

DD

10. bobrek

I suspect if you were a minority or gay, you would have a different opinion.

11. DaDakota

Precisely my point, why would a minority or gay be due any more protection than anyone else?

I mean they deserve protection, just like any other person, IMO.

Either all men are created equal - or they aren't.......

DD

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Probably because the law recognizes hate as a degree in crime and not propaganda.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

All men are created equal has nothing to do with the fact that no matter how tolerant a society is, the minority has a larger chance of being discriminated by the majority. There are safety measures put in place for precaution. Even the founding fathers believed this.

14. DaDakota

Yeah, and I think that is unconstitutional - all men are created equal - no need to label something to seperate out a group for special protection.

Glad they are prosecuting this loser though.

Those are already in the law books, that is my point, we are all to be treated equally, calling something a hate crime does not stop it from being a crime nor does it make the crime any worse than it is ....otherwise you are discriminating against another guy who got punched out by not giving them the same protections.

Anyway, probably the wrong place to state my point - I hope they put this loser away for the maximum sentence allowed.

DD

15. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

In every post you've said something to the effect of "I think this guy should go to jail for a long time". We get it, but we aren't going to agree with you since you said that.

16. DaDakota

Dang it, really? You aren't going to agree.....what if I said it again?

LOL - heh!

Yep, fine with me, just trying to explain my point.

It's cool if others disagree - it happens.

DD

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Doesn't a hate crime carry an extra penalty?

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Obviously you know nothing of the law or history for that matter as many groups have more special protections built into the law based on the crimes and treatment they've been subjected to in the past. Maybe if you'd experienced some of that treatment in your life you'd have a deeper appreciation for why they're needed.

19. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

If bigtexxx had a son he would look like....

20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

phew! thanks for clarifying. thank god and america that rosa parks ended racism.