1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Katrina Refugees Will Go to Astrodome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gifford1967, Aug 31, 2005.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's pretty cool that the Astrodome can be used as a shelter for people in dire straits.

Katrina Refugees Will Go to Astrodome
    Aug 31 10:04 AM US/Eastern

HOUSTON

At least 25,000 of Hurricane Katrina's refugees, a majority of them at the New Orleans Superdome, will travel in a bus convoy to Houston starting Wednesday and will be sheltered at the 40-year-old Astrodome, which hasn't been used for professional sporting events in years.

Rusty Cornelius, administrative coordinator for the Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, told The Associated Press that initial plans were being made early Wednesday.

"We are planning on being able to do a full shelter operation for 25,000 people," he said.

Cornelius said the refugees would be bused to Houston, but all would not necessarily be on the road at the same time. He said specifics of the transport and housing for the refugees were still being worked out with the Red Cross and state government officials.

"We want to accommodate those people as quickly as possible for the simple reason they have been through a horrible ordeal," he said.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco has said she wanted the Superdome _ which had become a shelter of last resort for about 20,000 people _ evacuated within two days, along with other gathering points for storm refugees. The situation inside the dank and sweltering Superdome was becoming desperate: The water was rising, the air conditioning was out, toilets were broken, and tempers were rising.

The Astrodome is the famed landmark that helped put Houston on the map four decades ago. It still stands but is dwarfed by Reliant Stadium, the Houston Texans newly constructed home.

The Astrodome opened in 1965, 10 years before the Superdome in New Orleans.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/31/D8CARI1G3.html

2. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

This is why I love Houston... (Astrodome Being Used as a Shelter)

You know - I'm proud today to say I'm a Houstonian... Why?

Because we opened our doors for thousands, and I know that in a week from now the Astrodome will not just be filled with survivors and refugees - but it will be filled with donations, beds, food, clothing and more by fellow Houstonians.

I know that my fellow citizens will step up to the plate and give OVERWHELMINGLY... I know that that in two weeks the folks down in the Astrodome will have so much items provided by us Houstonians that they will have no idea what to do with it.

Houston - Gotta LOVE IT!

On a side note: One good thing that can probably come out of this, I would think this could be a big boost to HOUSTON'S ECONOMY... If the New Orleans Port and Businesses are closed most likely it's coming to Houston... Which means more jobs and money in Houston's system.(Just trying to find the good out of this.)

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I love it because H-Town is the king of REPOSTS! ;-)

4. PhiSlammaJamma

This would never happen, but imagine if those 25,000 were to watch the Saints play there.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Tomorrow night's college football game at Reliant, U of H vs. Oregon, will be free to anybody from Louisiana, Alabama, or Mississippi.

Hopefully it can take their minds off it somewhat.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I love Houston, because the people are friendly, down to earth, and willing to help. A friend of mine who works for a non-profit here in town took the day off today to help coordinate shelter for refugees coming in from New Orleans.

I think Baytown Seafood and Cap'n Benny's on South Main will be seeing alot of business in the next few weeks.

7. Svpernaut

I'll be volunteering to help at one of the Houston area shelters over the next two weeks, hope my H-Town brethren do the same!

8. DonnyMost

Seconded.

We have a unique opportunity in Houston to literally walk down the street and help some of these people.

Whether you're making sandwiches for those in shelter or giving them the shirt off your back.. anything helps.

9. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Maybe FEMA can use the Astrodome and the surrounding area as a temporary city within a city. There used to be lots of vacant land near the dome. I know that the Texans facilities and parking for Reliant was built on some of it, but what about land south of the Loop near Astroworld? FEMA could bring in temporary housing. It has been over seven years since I lived in Houston so I haven't been that direction in a while even when I do visit.

10. Svpernaut

The parking lots alone could be used to set up a tent city... it is definately an option. Although I think it would be better suited for churches, fire houses and mosques to open their doors and lend a helping hand. We have plenty houses of worship in this city to help out... and I'd much rather people be in the air conditioned facilities then in a tent on blacktop.

11. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I've been trying to get hold of the Red Cross all morning to volunteer. How are you helping? Got any advice about who to call?

12. DonnyMost

Just saw this via email..

>Subject: Harris County Citizen Corps: Urgent Request for assistance
    >
    >
    >
    >From County Judge Robert Eckels:
    >
    >Harris County Citizen Corps Members,
    >
    >Today we are going to help those who have been impacted by Hurricane
    >Katrina who are currently located in the Super Dome in New Orleans. Up
    >to 25,000 citizens are going to be relocated to the Astro Dome. We need
    >your help.
    >
    >We are requesting volunteers to assist in setting up the dome with cots
    >and other basic necessities. This needs to be completed by 1700 or 5pm
    >CST. We need for you to forward to anyone how can help through your
    >businesses, churches and organizations.
    >
    >
    >We will also need volunteers to assist in the documentation and check in
    >of all who arrive. CERT Teams will be needed to assist citizens from
    >the busses to the check in locations.
    >
    >Logistical information with locations and staging areas will be sent out
    >shortly. Please respond to this e-mail and let us know how many people
    >you have that can assist, include time frames, as this will be a 24/7
    >operation.
    >
    >This task is unprecedented and can be completed with the support of our
    >citizens.
    >
    >Thank you for your continued support,
    >Harris County Judge Robert Eckels
    >Chairman Harris County Citizen Corps

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Good. That means the stadium will now only be half full for the national tv game. :)

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You know what? I'll bet they'll have so many volunteers show up that they'll actually have to turn people away.

I'm damn proud to be a Houstonian today.

15. ChrisP

Sign me up Donny. Your email says the proper response is to reply to the email. I checked their website and called the number they had there but the voice mail box is full!!

Want to help... can't figure out how. Red Cross volunteer line is busy every time I try.

I guess too many people are trying to volunteer right now, and that's a good thing.

16. DonnyMost

I doubt anybody taking shelter in the dome will go to the game.. I mean, why would they? I'm sure the broadcasters will be talking about it all game.. how the survivors are in the dome next door.. and the camera men will be looking for refugees among the crowd.. but im sure they have much more on their mind than football.. maybe if Reliant gave them all a free dinner?

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thumbs up - lots of respect for that.

18. DonnyMost

The reply address for this email is:

mark_sloan@co.harris.tx.us

send an email telling who you are and when you want to volunteer at the dome, hopefully you will get a response.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

So typical of Houston. Houston is actually the most philanthropic city in America. We represent just slightly more than 1 percent of the population of the country but represent more than 11 percent of the total volunteer hours dedicated to causes.

I love this place.

20. ChrisP

Thanks Donny. I just sent an email to that address.