1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Karnishovas & MOREY in Greece watching Olympiakos - Real Madrid

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaronMalakian, Mar 24, 2009.

1. blender

blender Member

Josh Childress? Hmm...

2. xiki

xiki Member

Even DM the GM can't make chicken salad outta chicken (stuff).

3. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I agree, especially since Artest might be gone at the end of the season and McGrady probably going to be inactive until around January or February 2010. Wafer (who also might be gone next season) and White are probably nice but we'll need someone that can really step into the position and consistently work for us.

4. worzel gummidge

On Richard Justice's Twitter page he mentions Morey was at a FC Barcelona-Unicaja Malaga game played yesterday.

Elsewhere: http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/castellano/noticies/basquet/temporada08-09/03/n090327104148.html
    http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl=en
    Barca-Malaga boxscore:
    http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB53218.php

Barca-Malaga video highlights:
    http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1611

Barca-TAU boxscore:
    http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame?gamecode=174

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Come on..bring home VSpan....

;)

DD

6. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Morey @ work again, planting the seeds and uncovering the jems. Gotta love this guy!

BTW, Since we never really got a good look at V-Span the first time,(I for one) wouldn't mind seeing V-Span come back to Rockets camp to see what he truly has. This is a Rick Adelman team now, not JVG's.

1 person likes this.
  7. Crush

Crush Rookie

Should keep Morey's activities on the downlow in case other GM's want to do a little spying

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Actually, I thought we got a real good look at V-Span the first time. He played a lot of minutes in the preseason and had chances to play in the regular season. If he did come back to the NBA, I'd doubt it would be for the Rockets if all that talk about the Rockets management promising him starter minutes or whatever is true.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

VSpan was playing out of position at the 3pt line, he was playing SG, and in an entirely different system.

The one that the Rockets run now is perfect for his skillset.

Anyone that thinks he can not play NBA ball because of his rookie season, playing for a coach he didn't get along with, or playing out of position has zero knowledge of basketball.

Making a judgement based upon a player's rookie year where he barely played and out of position is not very smart, and actually is downright stupid.

DD

10. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

If that is the case why didnt the spurs bring him over considering they actually had a great opportunity to do so. I think they kinda know something about basketball. Also, its not like any other GM is knocking down his door hoping to bring him back either.

You can continue to believe that he would be a major contributor in the NBA but its silly to think that anyone who doubts that is stupid.

Remember, is not just that he struggled on the court, whether out of position or not, he also claimed to struggle simply being in America. You can say that is result of not getting the minutes he expected, but its not like any team is required to give him minutes, nor does he automatically deserve them.

Based on his rookie year, you may think its silly to say he cant make it in the NBA. But at the same time, based on his rookie season it is completely justifiable to think he cant make it.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Are you being obtuse, or do you really not know?

The Spurs made the trade for Luxury tax reasons only, they got Pana to pay them a couple million dollars to let him out of the contract for a zero buyout, it was a great business move for them.

It had nothing to do with them wanting him, or not believing in him, it had everything to do with jettising Butler's contract and getting under the Lux tax and getting a couple million dollars.

Nothing more, you can't read anything into that....

Anyone who says VSpan can not play basketball at the NBA level has no clue about basketball.

Does that mean he would start, or be a star? No, of course not, but he does have NBA skills and whether or not those would develop further are at the crux of the matter.

Maybe he gets worse, maybe he gets better, MOST rookies who have international success like he did, and still does....take some time to adjust to the NBA level of play, even Scola had trouble and at least he was playing for a coach that played him in his natural position.

I am not saying VSpan would be the best ever, or even a starter, I am saying that reading anything about him as a player during a difficult rookie year, playing out of position for a coach that he clashed with is downright stupid.

He had some bad games, and some good games......most rookies do, then they limit their bad games as they learn the game....

The NBA is littered with tons of players who struggled their rookie years then got better.....people should stop drinking at the Charles Barkley "He will never score 19 points in a game" fountain and start actually understanding things before they post.

DD

#31 DaDakota, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  12. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

I watched that game on TV (Barça-Malaga). Very good game between 2 very good teams with some players with NBA potential.

- First of all, you should know that Navarro is simply unbelieveable. Unique player, unbelievebale talent, great IQ, experience, knows the game, outstanding shooter, hability to create shots, very good passer... and a true WINNER. He would fit great in Houston, but is unlikely he comes back to NBA, so... :( He's one of my favourites players, you gotta love him.

- Fran Vazquez: The guy is playing the best basketball of his career. He's definitely deciding some games, and finally he seems ready to make the jump to the NBA. However, the guy is not very smart, and I think it would cost him the adaptation to a "new world" for him (USA-NBA-english). In this sense Scola was much better prepared. Vazquez is a PF/C of 6-10/6-11. Long arms, atheltic body, very good touch near the basket, good jumper (ala Jianlian), loves to dunk, and plays hard in the paint. Not very smart guy, lacks strength, but has some potential ahd is playing harder than ever.

- Marcus Haislip: I suppose you know him already... He's simply dominating some though games offensively. He's being clutch for his team, and scoring in any possible way. Top-5 PF in Europe without a doubt, and offensively maybe the best. Very athletic, great shooting touch, dangerous penetrating... But he's not valid for us having Scolandry. Ilyasova, another good player with NBA potential that we don't need.

- Boniface N'Dong: And this is my man. Pure center, 7-0/7-1. Outstanding windspan, endless arms, plays very effective defense. He's though in the paint and plays very hard, he's so long, knows the game, very smart on and off the court (speaks 6 languages); offensively not too raw, has developed some ways to score, can shoot the ball with short range... His agility and coordination is better than of Diop's (definitely better player offensively).

All in all, he could be a great substitute of Dikembe. I see him fitting well in the NBA, and needless to say I would sign him TOMORROW. Plus he finalizes contract with Unicaja Malaga this summer, so he's a free agent. I think Karnisovas might have an eye on him already...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kfrlr0l3KXA&hl=es&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kfrlr0l3KXA&hl=es&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q6IIAMSlUDY&hl=es&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q6IIAMSlUDY&hl=es&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMNwkmY_6Pw&hl=es&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMNwkmY_6Pw&hl=es&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2 people like this.
  13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

Isn't Llull also under contract next year? Any team that drafts him won't be able to bring him over.

14. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

He's currently not resigned by Real Madrid, but the team has an option to extend the contract for 2 years more. Anyway, if Llull wants to go to NBA, Real Madrid is not gonna resign him, obviously.

15. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

In the other game (this a Euroleague game) FC Barcelona - TAU Vitoria, you have by TAU's side Thiago Splitter (drafted by Spurs) and Igor Rakocevic. Rako is a killer, a scorer. He can score in many ways on the court, reads perfectly the picks (like Navarro does), he's very aggressive with the ball, and has also a very reliable shot. However, (and being a good shooter) I consider him a player who makes his shots thanks his confidence. I would say Navarro is a better spot-up shooter than him, since Rako needs to feel he's important on the game to make his shots. He's very aggressive defensively and a though competitor.

I think Navarro is more brilliant than him, more skilled, but Rako is more athletic, faster and stronger, and that means more effective defensively (which prevented Navarro of enjoying more minutes in NBA).

* Daniel Santiago plays also in Barcelona, I think he did a workout for us this past summer. NBA comparasion ---> (poor) Marc Gasol. He could be an NBA player too, in my opinion, don't expect Gasol's passing, but expect same type of work.

16. worzel gummidge

If there's one player in Barca's roster that the Rockets could go after this off0-season I'd guess Ilyasova. Adelman's always liked forwards who can play 3/4. Morey's first move as GM was to go after Rashard Lewis.

Ilyasova's 3P shooting this season in Euroleague is 42% and in the spanish league it's 40%. He was also the leading rebounder in those comps but has dropped to no.3 overall.

Another point is out the key players for Barca I think he's the most attainable for the Rockets.

Navarro - contract situation would make it impossible.

Andersen - draft rights owned by Hawks but wants $5M.

Vasquez - under contract for another year, difficult buyout.

Ilyasova - free agent but restricted as Bucks still hold his rights though they will have trouble re-signing their other RFA in Sessions and CharlieV without going over LT. If another NBA offers him a contract IMO they won't match like another club with money problems the Nets didn't with Krstic.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

If they can extend his contract for two more years, why wouldn't they? I doubt they'd want to lose him for nothing.

18. worzel gummidge

The difference between Llull and others is he's eligible for the draft. If he's drafted he'll be a guy who'll be stashed in Europe for a few years anyway.

19. ibm

ibm Member

well, van gundy and cd are both gone, so it may be of mutual interest for vspan to have a second look with us. :cool:

i think he'd fits with what adelman want pretty well.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the videos. The guy is intriguing, to say the least. I hope he's being looked at and we have a chance of getting him. I've heard of him before, but can never remember how to spell his name. :)