1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Karl Malone on the 90's Rockets and Hakeem Olajuwon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I prefer to think that Yoda status comes after Hakeem status and Clutch now controls Krazy Karl's thoughts and is making him say stuff for fun.

Make him admit how stupid that dunk with his hand behind his head was!

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its a matter of perspective. Some call it dirty, others call it "old-school, physical". Probably if he's on your team, you says its the latter.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

The Failman... it still pleases me how he tried to join the Lakers to form a super team and was destroyed in the Finals by the "no name" Pistons. So good.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

On top of his extremely dirty play on the court.......

Didn't he also rape a 13 year old while in college, get her pregnant, and then never provide anything for the child?

I'm sorry, how is anyone defending this scumbag? It wouldn't bother me at all if he was hit by a truck tomorrow

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I left that one out since Isiah's team wasn't exactly known for being choir boys themselves.

6. conquistador#11

he still looks like he could give you 20 minutes of solid power forward play and theatrics out there. he doesn't age it seems.

7. ThaShark316_28

Malone wasn't in my top 2 of hated Jazz players.

Stockton and Hornacek were. Bastards. LOL but I was a child. Now days, I don't have a hated player...would take a lot.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Well, he was not on the Rockets so I call it dirty.

9. SacTown

SacTown Member

Agree.

10. Dream3495

Dream3495 New Member

Anyone who says that this fan base unfairly dislikes the Jazz, Stockton and Malone clearly have not been fans of the Rockets for very long. This dislike for the Jazz goes back as far as 1985, with many closely contested match ups with them in the regular season when we were both in the then Midwest division, then the highly contested playoff match ups in the 90s. Believe me this is coming from someone who has matched the Rockets for almost 30 years many of those years involved games against the Jazz teams with Stockton and Malone. Those guys were freaking dirty. do any research you will find players from the NBA during the 90s complaining about those guys.

This link from ESPN's page 2 list Stockton and Malone in the top ten list of the dirtiest players in sports by fans. https://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/readers/dirtiest/players.html

I hear Matt Bullard on 790 complain about both of them and I found this story about Olajuwon confronting Malone and the Jazz about how they played. This fan base has many reasons to hate that team and those two guys. Freak you or either a young Rockets fan who does not know their history or you're trolling.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1997-05-21/sports/9705201416_1_hakeem-olajuwon-karl-malone-jazz

Olajuwon Blasts Malone, Jazz For Playing 'Dirty'
    1997 NBA Playoffs
    Hakeem Olajuwon Had It Out With Karl Malone, And He Is Fed Up With Utah's Good-guy Image.
    May 21, 1997|By Fran Blinebury, Houston Chronicle

SALT LAKE CITY — His right eye was red, a little bit swollen and still sore from the elbow that Jeff Hornacek of the Utah Jazz had delivered when they were battling for control of a rebound in the third quarter of Game 1 on Monday night.

''Can you believe it?'' asked Hakeem Olajuwon. ''He is standing there trying to tell the referee that he never touched me. I don't know what to say about that.''
    Then, he said it.

''This team (Utah) is a bunch of pretenders,'' he stated, matter-of-factly. ''They want to look like good guys all of the time.

''They want the NBA and the whole world to believe they are good guys, (Karl) Malone, (John) Stockton, all of them.

''But the truth is that they are bad guys, very bad guys. This is a dirty team. They do things that are not within the rules - elbows, picks where they are trying to hurt you, a lot of stuff like that.

''The referees don't see a lot of what they do, and they don't call all of the fouls they should.''

In fact, the officiating threesome of Dick Bavetta, Joe Forte and Bob Delaney did hit the Jazz with 30 personal fouls to just 21 for the Rockets, and the Rockets had more free-throw attempts by a 34-27 margin.

Said Malone: ''We played hard the whole game. We're going to give some and we're going to take some. Some people don't like that. I don't know why.''

The Jazz have been eliminated from the playoffs twice in the past three years by the Rockets, so maybe it's only natural that some resentment has built up between the two teams. Then there is the old theory that familiarity breeds contempt.

Olajuwon, the 1994 Most Valuable Player, and Malone, who was presented the 1997 MVP award before Game 1, also came nose-to-nose and exchanged words at one point in the second quarter.

''I told him that the MVP of the league must be legitimate,'' Olajuwon said. ''He can't be flopping, looking for fouls. It isn't right. It cheapens the game and it cheapens him. It is not smart basketball and it is not in the rules. That makes it cheating. I told him I can have no respect for that.''

And how did Malone respond? ''We settled that one issue,'' Olajuwon said. ''He agreed . . .

''He is an MVP now. I am an MVP. I told him, 'Welcome to the club. But play in a way I can respect.' ''

1 person likes this.
  11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This makes me hate Malone less :(

12. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Karl Malone is such a friendly guy, he gave Clyde Drexler a big old hug that one time.

**** him and hard luck to him.

13. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

he as always looking over his shoulder when going in the paint...always!!

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The 1994 Finals is what brought me to the Rockets side of things.. That was a team with personality that would be penalized for expression of the game in this era.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Rockets would have still needed to win a game 7 in Utah (let alone winning game 6 in OT)

The Jazz were the better team that series... Don't know why Rudy largely ignored the huge mismatch Clyde had on Hornacek/Russell till game 6, and kept forcing it into Hakeem (who was still very good, but the Jazz had their double team rotations down enough to limit the 3 point game which is what that team had to have).

Frankly, the 90's Rockets could only go as far as Hakeem could take them (Barkley or no Barkley trade).

16. Asian Sensation

**** Karl Malone! His words mean nothing to me.

17. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

18. Nook

Nook Member

You apparently did not live in Houston between 1988 and 2000. Karl Malone was the most hated figure in Houston sports and the Jazz were constant rivals. It isn't just this website either, casual Rocket fans hated Malone in Houston... Probably the most hated figure in Houston sports history because the rivalry was so long and Malone was so obnoxious and dirty.

19. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

This is why TheFreak has been on my ignore list for 2 years now (only person ive ever ignored on here)

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Malone who? Really don't care but he should be ashamed of what he did on and off the court. Probably isn't that b*stard millionaire.