1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Kareem Jackson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Plowman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

turning to find the ball, maybe that's something you can't learn.

2. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Jackson gives 10 yard cushions and his man then runs a slant for a 10 yard gain. Idk how many times I saw that last night. We need a corner who can play bump and run coverage instead of 10 yard cushions.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Wont happen, sadly.

Kareem Jackson has been the gaping hole in this defense for two years now. Now that he has Wade's trust, I don't think we'll be seeing anyone else.

4. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

That or he has pictures of Wade with a goat...

5. foo82

foo82 Member

You don't turn to locate the ball in the trail technique. You will not see CB's doing that. They will only try to locate the ball if they are in superior positioning. Trying to locate the ball will give the receiver even more separation.

Remember, the receiver always has the advantage. He knows where the ball will be before it is thrown. You can't fault KJax too much on that play. Brees put the ball right where he was supposed to.

6. foo82

foo82 Member

We play a lot of zone coverage.

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

some of you get hard-ons for putting all the blame on kareem.. he "single handedly gave them a scoring drive":confused: i remember last year people where blaming kareem in the saints game for plays where he wasnt even on the field..

moore lined up a few times on josephs side during this drive which included a ridiculous diving catch by moore on jjo. a few underneath throws to henderson kept moving the chains on kareem.

now brees was in the pocket for about 4 seconds before he released the ball on the TD throw, kareem was blanketing moore, i dont know what else kareem could have done (grow eyes on the back of his head i guess), brees made a throw, moore made an athletic catch. the flag was ticky tack.

this whole removing watt and cushing exposes kj is moronic talk, who wants any cb in this league on an island with a speedy receiver for 5-6 seconds. lance moore is aplay maker, hes faster and more athletic than kareem, hes also great at not giving up the balls location until its too late for the db. brees has pin point accuracy to deliver the ball in tight coverage, give credit where it due.

some of these comments fall in the category with the casual fan, the type who watch the game once and make judgments based on the results of the play. then shut it down for the week..

8. ipaman

thanks for making my point. since he never turns to find the ball that must mean that he is never in a superior position. never in a superior position means you suck at your job.

9. foo82

foo82 Member

You don't understand how cb's work. You will be in a trail technique when one on one, especially when the QB has 4 seconds to throw. THere is not a CB in the NFL that will have superior positioning that deep. You can't jump a route like that, all you can do is to blanket your man and attempt to disrupt the pass.

Brees put that ball straight on the money. There is nothing Kjax could have done on that pass. JJo could not have defended that pass.

10. foo82

foo82 Member

Also, how the hell can you be in a superior position without safety help? You do not know where the receiver will end up. The receiver knows exactly what his route will be, and where the ball will be placed, the DB does not.

Most of the people who criticize Kjack are nothing but idiots who look for the number 25 whenever a big play is made. When it is made by someone else, they conveniently ignored it. JJo has made tons of mistakes, yet he is regarded here as the a TOP CB in the NFL. You never see anyone criticizing him, yet if Kjax makes those same mistakes, he gets jumped on. He played 2 solid games, and then gave up one touchdown in which he was covering the receiver solidly in which the QB made a perfect throw and the receiver made an athletic catch. All of a sudden all the haters come out....

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

We know what Kareem tries to do when he's covering on an incoming pass. He attempts to disrupt or dislodge the catch by throwing his arms in there. He doesn't turn his head, which you CAN see some CBs ((faster or better who knows) do since they aren't so desperately fighting to stay within arm's reach of their man. So Kareem either has to read his receiver's body or face to tell when the ball's coming, and it's a developed skill by receivers to flash that "catch mode" tell as late as possible. He either can't react fast enough or it's still too much for him mentally. He resorts to grabbing jersey like he learned to do last season, or even running into his man if they happen to slow down. He still needs to learn how to finish the play and not just flail about.

That being said, he's done a better job of just being there. Like already mentioned, he's not falling, and his transition from backpedal to sprint has apparently improved enough that he's able to keep up with his man on 9 routes. I was impressed to see him even with D.Henderson, not knowing if he's a speedster or not. And the TD was a greatly placed ball, with an equally acrobatic catch.

Kareem's matchup was exploited on almost every play of the go-ahead drive in the 4th of that game. And these weren't over the top, hope for an eventual Kareem PI targets either.

Moronic why? You don't think QB pressure won't affect the play calling or maybe having anyone run a route on Kareem that takes him deep puts him in a very weak position to defend it? My casual common sense tells me there was a reason Martz was booted out of Chicago.

Why bring up Joseph? He and Leon Hall earned their reputation of one of the best CB duos back in CIN. Kareem was given the starter's role his rookie year, to historically disastrous results. The biggest compliment to his game so far has been that you couldn't tell whether it's him or Jason Allen out there. You guys so fervently defending Kareem must be David Gibbs or part of the Jackson family.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I still stand by my comments made about Kareem before the Saints game. I think he played fine against one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Especially considering the fact that it was a very vanilla defense, which saw little to no blitz packages, per Wade. Before the game, he said he was going to test the corners to see how they responded. I was fine with Kareems response. Especially considering we played a lot of man, and there seemed to be little safety help over the top on most of those long passes.

Kareem is just fine. He's just the one guy that people enjoy blaming things on.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, Kareem sucks because one of the best QB's in the league got over on him for a TD. Brees NEVER does that to anyone else.

Gotta love Clutchfans.

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Kareem haters seem to suffer a lot from confirmation bias. every reception made against him is magnified and every reception made against our other CBs is ignored.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't call how he played "fine". It is understandable based on what we've seen from him in past and the little help. By my count, he gave up 5 receptions among 5 targets to his man in a half.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree with this to some degree. Other corner tends to be put against better player and has less help, usually. I think it was only one game (maybe Carolina) that I thought Joseph may need some help.

17. ipaman

if you have pure talent, brains (film study/instincts), or both. don't forget he was the 20th player selected.

oh you're one of those guys who call people idiots because they disagree with you. sorry for not being satisfied with mediocre play from a top 20 pick.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

And on the flipside, Kareem "apologists" seem overly satisfied with his improvement and his major issues (can't locate the ball in the air) are ignored. I don't care because catches are made on him - in particular, I won't fault him against Graham (no win for anyone). I care when I see terrible technique and bad habits doom him. I care when I see Brees throw 3 straight on him and fly down the field and net 6 as a reward.

You're right, he's not the abject disaster he was as a rookie. But I still see a guy that's unable to adequately hold his own at the position. "He'll be fine with all the starters back" ... "he couldn't succeed since he didn't have Manning/Quin over the top" - when you have to say things like that, you're describing a liability. I am encouraged that he's doing a better job staying close to his mark, he does do a good job at preventing YAC, but Kareem is still a CB that the defense has to actively hide.

Maybe that won't always be the case, but when I see a team openly say "hey, let's just keep going at #25 until they stop it" , I consider it a concern. I don't think it's the last time we'll see that happen. And if you want to believe we're Super Bowl contenders, that's the sort of problem that has to be addressed before the post-season.

I'm not saying we're doomed - I think we're chasing 12 wins this year regardless. I think this defense is going to be ferocious. That doesn't mean I have to put on blinders and pretend Kareem Jackson is a good CB2.

2 people like this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If he was a free agent signing he'd be mocked and cut. He's Jacques Reeves.

There are always "good catches" made against him because he can't play the ball whatsoever. EMJOHN is right, he's a liability and the way his apologists describe him reveals that they know it as well.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Fair and balanced. I think the position could be upgraded. He may not be the worst, but he could be better.