1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kanzius Cancer Cure?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohen, Apr 13, 2008.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

wow very cool stuff. hope it can work in humans too.

2. Apps

Apps Member

If what I'm taking from these articles is what they're actually saying, then this is pretty thrilling stuff.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I read that article a week ago or so Droxford. Very awesome news. I've been trying to keep close tabs on this, since I live in the same town as the Mr. Kanzius did. I wish I could have met the guy. He seemed extremely interesting and intelligent.

One of the centers that will be in the first wave of human testing is located in my town. It'd be cool to work there.

In my opinion, this will work (I've always hoped that it would), if not to some smaller extent just to prolong life. This thing has potential, though, to be the greatest medical breakthrough of my lifetime, in my opinion.

#43 Two Sandwiches, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. Two Sandwiches

He actually did put himself under the machine, and showed vast signs of improvement (this was braodcast on 60 minutes). Then, only a few months later, he was in decline, and died on Feb. 18, 2009.

I'll see if I can find that video.

Edit:

Here's the newest video

<embed src='http://cnettv.cnet.com/av/video/cbsnews/atlantis2/player-dest.swf' FlashVars='linkUrl=http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5394576n&releaseURL=http://cnettv.cnet.com/av/video/cbsnews/atlantis2/player-dest.swf&videoId=50078372&partner=news&vert=News&si=254&autoPlayVid=false&name=cbsPlayer&allowScriptAccess=always&wmode=transparent&embedded=y&scale=noscale&rv=n&salign=tl' allowFullScreen='true' width='425' height='324' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed><br/><a href='http://www.cbsnews.com'>Watch CBS News Videos Online</a>

#44 Two Sandwiches, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I love this stuff, let's hope it works on humans too.

DD

6. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

This is Awesome!!

7. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

This is awesome. Sad to hear that he passed away however. I'm gonna spend some time today looking for more updated info on this or a resource we can look to for updates, seeing as the original story was from 2008.

Edit:

Here is the resource:

KanziusCancerResearch.org

and here's the latest study done on it, in regards to pancreatic cancer:
    http://www.kanziuscancerresearch.org/_files/docs/file_117.pdf

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

How do the pharmaceutical companies feel about this?

9. Two Sandwiches

I haven't really heard anything in that regard. Interesting question, though.

My guess is that they would try to get into the nanoparticle/binder agent market.

10. droxford

droxford Member

It's pretty simple, really:

(1) attach gold nanoparticles to cancer cells (and ONLY cancer cells)

(2) expose entire body to harmless radio waves (which will heat up the gold particles and burn away the cancer).

It's cheap, fast, painless, easy, non-invasive and thorough.

Think of the implications, however, if mankind can figure out how to get the gold particles to attach themselves to HIV virus cells, common cold viriuses, harmful bacteria.....

F*** the pharmaceutical companies!!!

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Awesome, but...

Where's the damn breast enlargement machine? Now THAT would be a true boon to humanity.

12. droxford

droxford Member

In my unprofessional opinion, its feasible that they may reach a stage where they can target fat cells with the gold nanoparticles and humans could have instant weight loss.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The person that cures cancer will be the most significant person of the millennium.

But we've seen too many of these types of stories before.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Could they just zappo-shift the fat particles to the boobal arears?

1 person likes this.
  15. A00man

A00man Member

Donated to the Kanzius Foundation when I read about this years ago. Been following it off and on since. Glad to see that human testing isn't too far off!

16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

This was fun to say out loud.

1 person likes this.
  17. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

repped cause it's true :grin:

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Amen to that!

But I ask because obviously pharmaceutical is BIG BIG BIG business and they are going to make sure they don't lose money because of something like this. What incentive do these guys have if diseases like cancer and AIDS were actually curable?

Lets say Kanzius method is successful, the pharm. companies will make sure that it costs an arm and a leg for most people.

19. tested911

tested911 Member

Kanzius VS Pharmaceutical companies? Even if is did some curing I doubt he could compete with the big boys... The Big companies would force governmental testing on Kanzius for years if not decades.. Then find some weird ass problem would stop it from coming out..

Kids just remember that there isn't money to be made in curing the problem.. Just prolonging it...

20. droxford

droxford Member

I would normally agree with you, but the FDA is actually getting behind this solution, not hindering it.

This article is from a year ago. The large device has now been built and they're testing it on large animals.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100114/NEWS02/301149924/-1/RSS

Human trials for Kanzius device could begin in mid-2012
    Kanzius device might get OK by mid-2012
    By DAVID BRUCE
    david.bruce@timesnews.com

John Kanzius' cancer-killing device could be tested on humans as early as mid-2012.

Researchers at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston continue to have success treating small animals with the late Millcreek Township inventor's external radio-wave generator, said Mark Neidig, executive director of the Kanzius Cancer Research Foundation.

But he said two things need to happen in order to begin testing humans.

"We have to design a larger device that is approved by the Food and Drug Administration," Neidig said. "Then we need two years of testing with the larger device to gain approval from the FDA for human trials."

Neidig discussed Kanzius' device during a Rotary Club luncheon Wednesday at the Avalon Hotel. He had just returned from Houston, where he visited Steven Curley, M.D., lead investigator for the device at M.D. Anderson.

While in Houston, Neidig said, he learned that recent government and private grants have enabled Curley to hire three more researchers to study Kanzius' device. He will soon have 17 people working on the project.

"His lab is completely self-sufficient," Neidig said. "The donations and grants have allowed us to buy all the state-of-the-art equipment that is needed."

Kanzius' device works by emitting radio waves that heat and kill cancer cells targeted with nanoparticles -- microscopic pieces of gold or other metals.

Testing done over the past three years has proved that the device can completely kill cancer in live animals without causing any significant side effects.

But testing is needed on larger animals before the device is approved for human use, Neidig said. The current devices at M.D. Anderson and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center are not big enough to use on animals larger than rabbits.

A larger device is being built [UPDATE: Has been built] by the Rutkowski family at Industrial Sales and Manufacturing in Millcreek Township. Development was slowed by Kanzius' death in February, technical questions and a lack of funding, Curley said.

Money raised by private donations goes toward research, not development of equipment. But the state recently awarded a $500,000 grant to help ISM build the device.

"Gov. Rendell promised $500,000 but the state made him jump through hoops to get it," Curley said in a telephone interview. "Also, there are peculiarities with the (radio-frequency) field that needed to be fixed. Upsizing the field is no mean feat. John didn't want us making those changes until he got the patent for the device."

Kanzius' widow, Marianne, received the patent in March, about a month after Kanzius died from leukemia.

Once a larger device is built and approved by the FDA, Curley and his team can begin testing larger animals [UPDATE: This testing is in progress].

If the FDA approves the device's use for humans, Phase 1 clinical trials would begin at M.D. Anderson on 20 to 25 patients with pancreatic or liver cancer.

"Phase 1 trials are basically to see how the treatment itself affects them," Neidig said. "If all goes well, a year later Phase 2 trials could begin."

Those are planned at several locations around the country, including the Regional Cancer Center, and will focus on pancreatic and liver cancer patients.

Curley and his researchers have also been busy writing research papers about Kanzius' device.

They have three papers scheduled to be published, and nine more being prepared for submission to various scientific and medical journals by the end of summer.

"We've been rocking, man," Curley said. "One of the papers shows that you must have the gold nanoparticles to kill the cancer cells. We also have been working on a number of different cancers."