1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kanzius Cancer Cure?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohen, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Anyone see this on 60 minutes tonight?

The Kanzius Machine: A Cancer Cure?
    Inventor Tells 60 Minutes He Hopes To Live Long Enough To See Machine Cure Humans

A Cure For Cancer?
    John Kanzius, whose radio wave machine may one day kill cancer cells in humans, says his invention was not inspired by his own leukemia diagnosis but by seeing young patients in the cancer ward. | Share/Embed

(CBS) What if we told you that a guy with no background in science or medicine-not even a college degree-has come up with what may be one of the most promising breakthroughs in cancer research in years?

Well it's true, and if you think it sounds improbable, consider this: he did it with his wife's pie pans and hot dogs.

His name is John Kanzius, and he's a former businessman and radio technician who built a radio wave machine that has cancer researchers so enthusiastic about its potential they're pouring money and effort into testing it out.

Here's the important part: if clinical trials pan out-and there's still a long way to go-the Kanzius machine will zap cancer cells all through your body without the need for drugs or surgery and without side effects. None at all. At least that's the idea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last thing John Kanzius thought he'd ever do was try to cure cancer. A former radio and television executive from Pennsylvania, he came to Florida to enjoy his retirement.

"I have no business being in the cancer business. It’s not something that a layman like me should be in, it should be left to doctors and research people," he told correspondent Lesley Stahl.

"But sometimes it takes an outsider," Stahl remarked.

"Sometimes it just - maybe you get lucky," Kanzius replied.

It was the worst kind of luck that gave Kanzius the idea to use radio waves to kill cancer cells: six years ago, he was diagnosed with terminal leukemia and since then has undergone 36 rounds of toxic chemotherapy. But it wasn't his own condition that motivated him, it was looking into the hollow eyes of sick children on the cancer ward at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

"I saw the smiles of youth and saw their spirits were broken. And you could see that they were sort of asking, 'Why can't they do something for me?'" Kanzius told Stahl.

"So they started to haunt you. The children," Stahl asked.
    "Their faces. I still remember them holding on their Teddy bears and so forth," he replied. "And shortly after that I started my own chemotherapy, my third round of chemotherapy."

Kanzius told Stahl the chemotherapy made him very sick and that he couldn't sleep at night. "And I said, 'There’s gotta be a better way to treat cancer.'"

It was during one of those sleepless nights that the light bulb went off. When he was young, Kanzius was one of those kids who built radios from scratch, so he knew the hidden power of radio waves. Sick from chemo, he got out of bed, went to the kitchen, and started to build a radio wave machine.

"Started looking in the cupboard and I saw pie pans and I said, 'These are perfect. I can modify these,'" he recalled.

His wife Marianne woke up that night to a lot of banging and clamoring. "I was concerned truthfully that he had lost it," she told Stahl.

"She felt sorry for me," Kanzius added.

"I did," Marianne Kanzius acknowledged. "And I had mentioned to him, 'Honey, the doctors can't-you know, find an answer to cancer. How can you think that you can?'"

That's what 60 Minutes wanted to know, so Stahl went to his garage laboratory to find out.

Here's how it works: one box sends radio waves over to the other, creating enough energy to activate gas in a fluorescent light. Kanzius put his hand in the field to demonstrate that radio waves are harmless to humans.

"So right from the beginning you're trying to show that radio waves could activate gas and not harm the human-anything else," Stahl remarked. "'Cause you're looking for some kind of a treatment with no side effects, that's what's in your head."

"No side effects," Kanzius replied.

.... keep reading... http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/10/60minutes/main4006951.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_4006951

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This was first announced as the water/ hydrogen deal wasn't it -- NewDorker firestorm meltdown... this invention is coming along fast -- 4 years from testing on humans.

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

5. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This has some serious promise.

DD

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This has some serious promise.

I love talking about this kind of stuff, and I want to study this for a career. I'm an x-ray student who is a year of schooling away for being a Radiation Therapist. I won't be able to attend RT school for a few years, but this could be my future.

My only question is this....creating that much heat within someone seems like it'd be awfully painful....then again, so are radiation-induced biological damages. Which would be worse?

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think the disorienting and dull pain after radiation treatment is what makes cancer patients dread the trip.

9. Two Sandwiches

That and the fact that when you're talking radiation therapy, that much radiation can give you small, but painful radiation burns on your skin where you receive the dose. In a week of observation at radiation therapy, I saw quite a bit of burns. Chemo has it's downside, too, but I'm not too familiar with them.

This technology and where Kanzius and others want it to go is sort of like a Sci-Fi advancement of nuclear medicine mixed with radiation therapy. Nuclear Medicine is becoming a pretty valuable asset - at least the general idea of it. The basis of Nuclear Medicine is what is giving us new-age PET scans, which are awesome in detecting early-stage cancers.

With nuclear medicine, radioactive tracers that are either uptaken by certain organs, or have antibodies attached to them, are injected into the body, and then, the radioactivity they give off is detected by a machine. The areas that are usually giving off the most radioactivity means that the radioactive injection is pooling there, thus indicating a cancer or stress fracture, or whatever you're looking for.

10. Two Sandwiches

Looking into this, I am getting pretty excited about it. Very interesting. Kanzius is from Erie, Pa, which is about 45 minutes from me. Erie has been holding several fund raisers to raise money for this. Why have I not heard about this.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to get into medical research.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder how that heat will do in the Human Brain
    Even if it is minute . . .the brain is. . . delicate

Rocket River

12. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

If this were true and we do use it down the line for many years to come, wouldn't environmentalist be upset that we are taking up the ocean water to produce cancer cures, gasoline for cars, hydrogen, etc etc? Shorelines would be depleted, less fish, or would rain replenish what we take and no difference would be made to the ocean? I live in Hawaii and that would be crazy to think there would be no waves near the shoreline or we no longer have to use a boat to go to another island.

13. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I really don't think somehow we will use up the oceans, they cover 70% of the Earth. Consider that we have lived for thousands of years off 30% of the Earth, both surface and underground, so I don't see why yusing the ocean would be a problem.

Think about different things that produce energy, coal for instance. WE've been using for hundreds of years and still it's extremely cheap.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There's also the possibility that Atlantis would declare war on us when that happens.

15. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

To heck with cancer, can you imagine what this will do for liposuction? :D

Now if only they could reverse the process. Think of the "things" you could "grow"! :eek:

16. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Assuming that the sensations are similar to burns and most other (surgical) operations in general, the initial pain during the operation can be circumvented by sedation, and the lingering pain managed afterwards by (heavy) narcotics.... mmmm....

17. WildSweet&Cool

Also, the burn is localized to only the cancerous area, which might already have deadened nerves.

Additionally, this could theoretically be used in a preventative manner. Imagine going in to the doc every year or two, getting a gold injection, and standing in the radio wave box for two minutes. If there were any minuscule cancer cells or cancerous areas in your body, they would be immediately killed before they could metastasize or create a tumor.

I hope Kanzius lives long enough to see it save a human life!

18. A00man

A00man Member

Wow, this sounds amazing to me. Is there a site or anything where you can donate money for this research? I certainly wouldn't mind helping something like this out, and helping Kanzius's research move along more quickly so he can be alive to see if his hard work paid off to save human lives.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They showed a rat they were testing the process on and reported that there wasn't any damage to tissue outside of the tumor.

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

One thing the story didn't make clear is why Kanzius doesn't treat himself with the machine first? I mean if he is debating to go another round of chemo or just die, why can't he be the first human guinea pig for his machine.