1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kaman doesn't have much of an appetite for waiting, inks 52.5 mil extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Van Gundier, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Ryoga Hibiki

Ryoga Hibiki Member

I think some people don't realize what the market value of a decent big man, center of even a big PF, actually is.
    Chandler or Dalambert aren't the exception as much as the rule, any young and decent 6-10+ gets some serious money, just look at the contracts around the league: can you find me a decent big man coming out cheap?
    The best I can find is Jeff Foster wuo'll make roughly 6M next year...

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

On the one hand I think Kaman is clearly being overpaid. And it is quite confusing how tons of executives around the league, fans, coaches, etc. continue to support a more guard-oriented style of play, yet discount their importance in the free agent market - in the sense that guards, typically, aren't overpaid the way centers are, despite the fact that in the right system, a guard yout hought you might be overpaying (I'm looking at you Raja Bell) can actually be valuable.

On the other, relative to the market, the contract seems fair. Moreover, what exactly were the clips suppossed to do? Not sign him and let him walk? And then try what...to sign a Brian Cardinal type player at an even more ridiculous contract. Or pursue the "guard" strategy. I think even with that strategy it helps to have a solid big-man. And Kaman is decently athletic, and the Clippers know from last year, he can fit into a higher paced scheme. Also, unlike Dalembert/Chandler, Kaman isn't completely inept at certain critical aspects of the game (scoring), though he certainly isn't much above average there either.

What's perfectly clear is that the Clippers would not have been able to get a better center, that is a beter fit in their system, without paying more money. From a strategy perspective, maybe that's okay if it saves them to pursue talent elsewhere. But I would have probably signed Kaman, too. The Clip team isn't NBA Finals caliber, but with Brand, and improving Livingston, Maggette and now Kaman, there is a lot of talent there, especially when you have Mobley and Cassel to give you what they give you.

All that said, I think the Clippers underachive this year. I don't see Brand having as good a year. And Cassell can have a tendency to have down years after up ones (he still plays well, just not nearly as well). The one player who really really really needs to show serious improvement this year, in year 3, is Livingston.

3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Reports indicated that they threw in a lifetime supply of duck with mango salsa

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Sorry, the Chris Kaman caveman joke quota for this thread was already used up in the title...

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

In comparison, yes, that deal makes more sense.

I saw the headline when my buddy was online, and asked if the 5-year deal was above or below $45 mill. They overpaid, but it's not Adonal Foyle bad. He's only 24 and if his play from last spring holds up, he'll take a reserve All-Star center spot. It'll be a disaster if his body falls apart, though. I'd have wanted to see one more good year out of him before giving long money, but it's insurance against him getting overpaid by someone else.

Evan

6. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Zyg signed for more than the 52.5 mil than Kaman. Okur signed for 53 mil.

Okur signed for 50 mil with lesser numbers 12.9 pts and 7.5reb. Right up there with Kaman, you are right.

Camby signed for 45 mil over 6 years. This is the only center you could come up with. A center that plays has played more than 66 games only one time.

I'll take that into consideration.

Kaman is asking for too much money.

He is worth only worth the midlevel exception.

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Kaman's putting up 8 points and 6.5 rebounds on 37% shooting so far. Yep, you can tell he just got a new contract.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That's the problem with today's NBA. :(