1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kai Jones is available

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 12, 2023.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We did bring in Dillon Brooks ;)

DaDakota likes this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

That isn’t fair to Brooks. He has nowhere near the history of Porter, and he was not kicked off the team like Jones.

Dylan Brooks was a second rounder, who clawed his way into a pretty prominent role in Memphis where that franchise had a lot of success. Subsequently in a short sample size….as soon as he left that team fell off, and the team that he went to adopted a lot of the positive cultural characteristics that made Memphis successful.

roslolian, anthony59237, Y2JT and 5 others like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

True, but he did earn the nickname Villain for a reason.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

"Earn?" Didn't he dub himself that? That's what Craig said on a broadcast at least. I like quiet, serious Dillon. We don't need anyone giving any star players extra motivation.

roslolian likes this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Actually I have had several high achieving troubled people work for me......and again, this is a NO RISK move at a position of need while we are a developing team.

And yeah, Don't p***y up because KPJ didn't work out.......FFS that is how losers build teams.

DD

hlmbasketball likes this.
  7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

1. I think it is p***y out?
    2. There is a reason hundreds of basketball minds that are smarter than both of us are currently passing on this gentleman.
    3. if another KJ situation should come down the pike, yes, I hope we have learned our lesson. It was the time a few years ago to take a shot on something like that. That sort of move is no longer needed to that degree.

Arnel and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Gotta love it when DD doubles down on literally the dumbest ****ing takes ever.

BMoney, Arnel and topfive like this.
  9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

1. KPJ is innocent and deserves the benefit of the doubt because black men like O.J. Simpson are often railroaded by the system

2. Not wanting Kai Jones qualifies any one on earth as a p***y up’er.

3. What will complete the trilogy?

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

There's PLENTY lol

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

1. Anyone is innocent until proven guilty, that is how the system works in the USA
    2. Well not necessarily about Kai but being unwilling to turn over troubled stones makes you one - for sure.
    3. Stay Tuned - at least it will be interesting.......life is too short to be boring.

DD

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sure DD, he's innocent until proven guilty .... in a court of law.

But the court of public opinion is a whole different animal and in that court of public opinion, he's tried and convicted, guilty as charged. That along with all his other screw ups over the years is why he's out of the league and no one will touch him.

With Kai, if it were just about basketball, he'd be on a roster right now ..... but that clock is broken.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

4. Life is also too short to be wrong all the f$#king time. :D

AroundTheWorld and Arnel like this.
  14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You don't worry about the court of public opinion most of that is a bunch of followers without any real information just spewing what social media says, and in one week they will be onto something else.

I think KPJ if the charges are dropped will be right back in the league - someone will take a risk on his talent....not us,, but someone.

That isn't true about Kai at all, he was a mid to low first round pick has been not much more than an athlete - I would just bring him in for a look that is all I am saying and if he sucks it was just a couple of hours doing the GM's job of trying to improve the roster.

Well thank god that ain't me, even if that is the fun narrative here, ....lol....I can't help it that I look at it like an asset business and there is no harm in taking a look - no harm, no foul. Taking risks is what I do, it is the job of upper management to be good at risk assessment - and taking a look at undervalued assets with talent is a good way to improve your company/roster, IMHO.

It doesn't mean we sign him - it means look - he is free....we need a backup athletic big....he is that.....

You can't let one situation make you scared to try another, that is what I am saying - can't be scared.

DD

#234 DaDakota, Nov 25, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
  15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I have 97 employees and multiple business locations.

there is a time in a place for gambles on people.

about a year ago at this time I remarked in one of the Porter threads that people like that rarely change. Porter was predictable.

Jones is likely to **** up again, although his character issues don’t rise near to the levels of Porter.

my businesses are not tech-based as Mr. DD would be. I am thinking the difference is that Intech base businesses there is less of a need for chemistry, and there is more compartmentalization so you might have some weirdos that worked out because their tech skills are just so strong.

in my businesses, chemistry, teambuilding, and accountability are at such premiums. You just can’t have these character outliers.

I Will give an example of how it can go the other way though. I recently brought on this guy that was amazing in the interview process, and his work history was very solid. I also personally knew a couple character references for him that all swore by him.

this guy has some small tattoos all over his face and was a heroin addict about 13 years ago.

his consistent work history, and the character references where I knew the people that were vouching for him made him a hire (and he is doing well)

so you can’t judge a book by its cover, but you can judge a book by its consistency, and what those who know the person say about them.

So Kai Jones has shown no consistency, and I can’t imagine that there are a bunch of character references for him At this point. And it is unfair for me to speculate on that about him because I really have no idea. However, if those things existed, he likely would’ve been picked up by now because of his youth and his immense physical talent.

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Jesus, do his dictate that good?

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

in tech businesses, you also don't want to hire low character guys (or people from Wokistan, but I will leave it at that, since this is the GARM)

alawys backfires

the only question is how long it takes

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I despise typing on my phone and mostly do voice dictation. And yea it sucks!

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I mean I imagine it is kind of the same and all industry. I can tell you one thing that I have learned over about the last 10 years though, it’s really to not hire them.

it costs too much to get them out, and the true value that you get out of an employee only really comes to a profit with retention. so you have to make sure the percentage odds of retention are as high as possible.

AXG and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

That's not true, depends upon whether they are an individual contributor.

Most of the people I hire are woke, and they are doing great.

Also, I have no problem being in Texas of ridding myself of malcontents....Right to work is right to fire.

DD