1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels Offer Sheet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 2, 2015.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Nick plays the 1 and 2 spots. He can not guard the 3 spot unless the other team plays small ball.

KJ plays the 2 and 3 spots so he will spend a lot of time guarding 3s during his career.

Dekker is very likely going to spend the majority of the season in RGV and will likely not be called up until after the trade deadline.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

:eek:
    Why? Whatbhas he done in his short career?

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why not just sign gerald green?

4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I'm on board with KJ as well, the dude has high upside and freakish athleticism.

5. Aaron_D

Aaron_D Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The plan now (per sources) is to match on KJ McDaniels and look at trade options, opportunities. They'll be patient. <a href="https://t.co/HS0RRjcsdX">https://t.co/HS0RRjcsdX</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/617457006128037888">July 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. i3artow i3aller

7. crash5179

Because at 29 Gerald Green is what he is. A good player but certainly not as good or effective as either Ariza or Brewer. You certainly would not sign Green to develop and possibly replace Brewer or Ariza in the future. At 29 Green would not sign to play 3rd team back up with unknown rotation minutes.

KJ has a very high ceiling. He is only 22 and is someone that could develop into a very special player. As a team you can continue to play Ariza and Brewer in front of him and when he develops like most think he will you have a very good option for trades and still have very high quality players manning the 3 spot.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

KJ adding some BAM! to that pot

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Lock this kid up. More defense = more success. Low risk, potentially high reward if he develops offensively.

10. chandlerbang21

man rockets will be the most inept shooting team in the league

11. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

I'd be very surprised if Morey loses Canaan and McDaniels for nothing

12. Play07

Play07 Member

Nawh... Can't playmake or shoot last things we need, vet min yes

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Don't believe the Rox will match offers more than 3 mils per.

But then again, a contract for a young guy 3 mil per is just like a min contract and the Rox should not have any problem to trade away in deals.

Still believe he is more of a trade chip even the Rox will keep him, he won't get much of playing time here unless disaster happened.

If KJ is smart, he should try everything not to stay here but find a team to get playing time instead.

14. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

The more I and more I think about this...... This guy has to be someone they plan to be the backup to Harden and even play some with harden when he is the de facto PG....... I just don't see them making this big a deal over someone who is gonna be buried on the bench..... Also I think this is the end of the road for nick.... There's no way you can play both these guys any meaningful minutes on the court together..... That's essentially no shooting from the backcourt at all.....

15. crash5179

Nick and KJ are not the same player.

KJ will play the 2 spot and the 3 spot similar to Corey Brewer.

Nick Johnson who is only 6'3" will spend most of his time at the PG spot with limited duty at the SG spot in small ball situations. One shouldn't effect the other.

16. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

It's been hard to see the logic in the whole KJ acquisition / using the mle to keep him over getting a good pg / creator. I guess our guys believe in him. I don't not believe he's gonna be great, it's just he doesn't seem near ready.

In morey we trust, I guess is the only battle cry I can get behind to support the decision the sign KJ before josh and a potential back up pg.

17. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Nick's being groomed to be a 1. KJ is a 2. They have the same attributes. Insane athletes, below average handle, low playmaking ability, poor jump shooting and even worse poor shot mechanics...... Essentially the same player in 2 different positions..... It would be different if they could break their man down off the dribble but that's not the case.....

18. crash5179

How good of a point guard creator are you going to get for the MLE?

I would rather the Rockets add someone like Bledsoe or Lawson which would require a sign and trade.

I wouldn't expect a lot of action from the Rockets on any front until after the moratorium is over, but you never know.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Any word on if he's been putting the work in this summer? He's supposed to have a good work ethic, right?

I hope he's working on his jumper.

20. micah1j

micah1j Member

Someone said a few weeks ago he was working out with Nick Johnson and Clint Capela.