1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels Offer Sheet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 2, 2015.

1. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

meant to say Morey knows it.

2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

McDaniels has great defensive instincts, if given more time, Rockets fans will love him

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The narrative I imagine is this: Philly along with the rest of the league knew that McDaniels' advanced stats (the ones that map his movement around the court, not PER) were off the charts. Nonetheless, Hinkie got wind that McDaniels would likely not be staying with them, which was why he took the one year contract in the first place. Thus, Hinkie got something for nothing in Isaiah Canaan with a deal to his buddy Morey, who in turn hoped to tempt KJ into staying with the added allure of winning on top of money. As soon as we acquired him, however, there was no incentive to play him whatsoever. He was essentially a 3mo rental. Thus, we did not trade for McDaniels the player in that all-star deadline. We traded for McDaniels' rights going into this free agency period. Just so long as we remain flexible, we should have done a good enough job to keep him away from the other teams that actually know about the latest in advanced stats to see how good McDaniels will become.

I can't see any of this personally, because again I only watched McDaniels on the Rockets in warmups before games pretty much. But I can see the Rockets having this exact opinion.

4. jayfree

jayfree Member

As much as I appreciated what Smith brought to our team last year (especially in the playoffs) I am not sad to see him go. If he is okay with being a backup playing 15-20 mins a game and play within out system then I love him, but if he is unhappy in any way then he can be a cancer and that is what would scare me away from giving him too much control.

We lost Parsons and people were crying last year (Even AFTER we got Ariza). Nobody is hating that situation now. I don't know what KJ's full potential could be but even if we don't play him that much this year he could be a real asset the following years for us.

5. Airdough

Airdough Member

Sorry wasn't trying to make you feel dumb (hope my posts don't come across as a know it all, if so I am sorry and will work on that).

Bima posted another update somewhere else in this thread when the new cap came out. The goodnews is that there doesn't appear to be any teams left with both 8-12 million in cap room plus the desire to put that much money per year into KJ. Hoping the Rockets get him back on a KPap like contract.

6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

While I am not going to annoint him just yet I have been very intrigued by his all-around skillset, instincts and apparent work ethic. That is a combination for a young player to improve every year for the next 5 years or so.

Everything I have read or heard about is that his work ethic is off the charts and he should have the boy to continue adding strength to areas of weakness if he has any.

He already has a great ability to get to the rim but will need to refine his handles to be more consistent getting in the lane and then finishing through contact. I love that he does not settle for a 3 when he sees a chance to take it strong to the hole. That brings me too the obvious. He will need to be a little better from 3 point land to become an above average role player. He's got good form so with his work ethic should be able to develop a nice 3 point shot.

Also, I really think he ran into a wall in December last year. the guy plays so hard and had to carry so much for the Sixers at the beginning of the season last year that I honestly think it took a toll on him. His December and January numbers were pretty poor which typically happens to a rookie playing heavy minutes on a bad team with all of the travel and multiple games in a bunch, it is hard to get used to. Hinkie saw his season going down fast and got the most value out of him he could at that time and Hinkie is not one to give long term contracts out at this point IMO so his impending free agency probably turned some teams off.

I really think Morey and the scouting department believe they have a hidden gem and him being stuck to the bench and then the injury at the end of the season may help a little in terms of suitors willing to offer more than $3-4 mil to the guy.

I really hope we retain him on a Papa type contract, $4.5 mil or so for year 1 and $4.5 mil team option or unguaranteed 2nd year but not sure he will take that or not. Maybe he will bet on himself again and take a one year contract to be a free agent again next year. Not sure Morey will want to deal with this all over again but it could give us a chance to evaluate him even more and use Brewer, Ariza or KJ in a trade. KJ would at least have suitors of all types and not just contenders so you could get picks or other talent back while Ariza or Brewer are more moves that contenders would most likely make.

I was excited when we got the guy but was a little confused/disappointed that he didn't get more minutes on occasion with us but I really think Morey and staff think REALLY HIGHLY of him and are willing to take a big chance on him. The addition of Dekker is a little confusing at this point especially if we resign KJ but maybe has something up his sleeve where Dekker is being moved once his 30 days are up in early August.

Also, we all keep forgetting about Papa who has a pretty solid skillset as well although him getting hurt last year diminished his value quite a bit and I can't see him being on the squad come October given his contract structure but you never know. One thing about Morey is if he signs, drafts or trades for a player, he usually values you them very highly even if they struggle for awhile.

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I don't think he's trash I think him and his agent are overvaluing him.

So if Blake Griffin comes here he won't see any playing time because there are a bunch of guys in front of him in the rotation?
    I don't buy these type of arguments. You either perform in practice or you get lucky because of an injury, that's how you get playing time.

He mustn't have been that good to impress McHale and his staff. If we do sign him I hope he spends some time with the Vipers just like D-Mo did.

8. hakeemthagreat

Lmao. People on here arguing the wrong thing. Is he talented? From what I've seen, yes. But WE DON'T NEED HIM. SG/SF is not our position of need. Spending money on a player who basically does the same thing Brewer does is pointless. How about keep working towards another PG with Bev

1 person likes this.
  9. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

The kid is an absolute FORCE above the rim. We better keep him.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

KJ was perfect for a team like Philly. He needs time and patience. Not a team trying to win now.

I'd rather have Jamal Crawford than KJ. He just became a 3rd stringer with the addition of Stephenson. Plus his contract is only partially guaranteed.

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Blake griffin is already established, would be making millions, is not a rookie and the guys we have in front of him haven't proven a whole lot.

dmo couldn't get any playing time at one point either. He and tjones were glued to the bench behind the likes of Marcus Morris and Patrick Patterson. It didn't change until Morley traded them.

12. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

If KJ re-signs w the Rockets, it has to either be (1) a good short term deal + guarantee of playing time (e.g. 5MM in year one, player option for 6MM in year two) or (2) longer term deal at good money with player option to opt out to get even more).

Option 1 requires the rockets to deal ariza before KJ will sign, and Ariza happens to be one of our most valuable chips.

Option 2 also requires us to deal Ariza at some point to maximize talent on the floor, but gives us more time.

I look at KJ and see Batum, an iguadala in a year or two, or tmac without the handles. He is a special talent and a long term starter on a good team.

This is Kyle Lowry all over again. Morey is going to do what he needs to do to keep KJ, cash in on Ariza for a legit player of some kind. (In light of codman comments, I wonder if things go south w the love/Lebrun relationship or lebron figures out he needs a defensive killer like Ariza, we could package Ariza plus for Love. ).

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think you're overestimating KJ's market. Who is going to sign him on a 1 year deal for $5 million? That team wouldn't get his bird rights, and would risk a poison pill contract from another team next summer when the cap explodes.

14. malakas

malakas Member

No. Philly had NO incentive to trade him like this, because he would be a rfa with the max at MLE , which can afford, and noone would dare Philly with a pp because they can afford and match everything.

Which is why this trade is one of the most perplexing and inexplicable trades of Hinkie and show that he runs a Ponzi scheme. You found a good wing? Trade him for scraps and future crap picks! Now let's tank again and again and when we find a good talent let's trade him again for more future picks so we can keep selling hope. 7 years tanking ftw!

15. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

I think Hinkie legitimately felt Canaan was a starting caliber PG and was just wrong. Here's a link to his comments after the deadline on Canaan. LINK

16. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I agree, not sure what hinkie doing he's not even taking since tank for young prospect and he seems to trade them away if lands any. Maybe he'll trade okafor but that'll get him fired I'm sure.

17. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

you may be right, particularly given that he is a RFA and we would match anything within reason.

He doesn't have much leverage, but he is after guaranteed money, guaranteed playing time to make more money, or some combination of the two.

I'm sure Morey is trying to lock him up for multiple years at below MLE, and KJ needs that to be as short as possible with guarantee of playing time. KJ needs Morey to have a viable trade for Ariza on the table so that Morey is motivated to close on a contract w KJ. KJs only other option is to take another one year deal and try this again next year.

18. malakas

malakas Member

Come on. You don't really believe this do you? Cannan was not unknown anyone who had seen a little of him understood that he is not starting caliber PG, let alone someone who knows basketball like the scouts in Philly.
    They don't care about having a good pg anyway it seems.
    And this comment is usual pr talk after every acquisition.

Give him some time. I think he sells first every prospect who doesn't like losing all the time. When the next hyped up rookie comes in town next year, to hype the crowd, Noel and Okafor will be on the trading block.

19. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

So all I got from this thread is that KJ is just good enough to make a solid impact on the Rockets this year but isn't good enough to warrant any other team offering him more than the MLE.

And if KJ somehow does end up going to another team aside from the Rockets we can all talk about how he's an awful playing and wouldn't get any playing time behind Ariza, Harden, Brewer, and possibly Dekker.

20. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

I'd say it's much more likely than believing Hinkie is running a Ponzi scheme. :rolleyes: Read the irrational love for Canaan in this thread Isaiah Canaan is a good player. Look at these bbholic posts; maybe bbholic scouts for the Sixers. ;)