1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels Offer Sheet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Airdough

Airdough Member

KJ has the potential to have more trade value. He also lets you go small and throw multiple wings on the floor. Given that many teams had interest but the Rockets let it be known they'd match on a full MLE offer has deterred other teams from actually trying to sign him. Outside of the Clips and Kings, no one else really showed interest. The Mavs could have thrown money at Smoove and given him a starting role and that didn't happen.

Morey wants to develop his young players with playing time and know what value he really has in Capela, DMo, and Jones. 2 of those three have yet to be healthy for a full season. If the Rockets can keep them healthy and Capela continues to develop, you have plenty of front court talent. Bring back KJ and add another point guard/playmaker with Paps contract and you have a roster that can still contend.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I see we are back to making 2011 Houston Rockets basketball moves.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Member

If the league thinks two teams are trying to circumvent the CBA they would certainly prevent the trade. Although it was a different set of circumstances, the League basically prevented Boston from trading Kevin Garnett to the Clippers because they thought it was compensation in the Doc Rivers to LAL deal.

I could see the league doing the same thing in a case where the Rockets and another team attempted to make a trade in a deal where they did not match a KJ contract.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Member

KJ McDaniels played in 62 games, started 15 games, logged 1,352 minutes and averaged 22 minutes a game last season.

I would say you have a very odd way of defining "considerable playing time".

5. crash5179

crash5179 Member

If the Rockets make a trade for a significant piece at some point during the season then either Brewer's or Ariza's salary will likely need to be included. Signing KJ is a strong move for the future as well as insurance for today.

I think there is a good chance the McDaniels plays significant minutes at some point this season.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Brewer and mcdaniels will both play the 2/3 . One of them will back up at 2 and the other at the 3 . Even if harden and ariza both play about 33 min that leaves 30 minutes to be split . 18-20 to brew and 10-12 for KJ .

7. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Member

You need to include Thornton in this calculation. He will see minutes at the 2

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

There isn't room for McDaniels or even Thornton for that matter.

Going off of last season, Harden and Ariza will both play 35 minutes each, Brewer 25 minutes. That leaves absolutely no room for any other player to play the 2 or 3.

Lets say we can manage to get Harden and Ariza more rest, and that Brewer would be content playing only 20 minutes (Highly unlikely either happens IMO).

So lets just subtract 5 minutes from each of those 3 players.

Harden 32, Ariza 30, Brewer 20.... that's 82 out of the 96 minutes there is to play at the SG and SF position. That leaves at most, 14 minutes, which will presumably be Thornton's. Lets also not forget, we still have Papanikolaou, a SF and rookie Dekker who's still apart of our team.

No matter which way you slice it, there's absolutely no room for KJ unless either injury, or a trade, specifically involving Ariza or Brewer.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Ariza will likely get some minutes at the 4.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Exactly , not all of these players will play . But someone will get those minutes . Thornton could also play the 1 with James on the floor and really so could KJ . Or you could look at it as harden playing the one . I'm not sure if thortons contract is guaranteed . I hope not . I like the fact that we will have intense competition for minutes . You can feasibly rotate 6 players for the 1,2, and 3 spots . Wth harden , bev and ariza getting about 30 min a piece that leaves about 50 min to be split among 3 guys . If they bring KJ back there is plenty of room for him in the rotation assuming he plays like they think he can . If they don't think that KJ can compete for signifacang minutes they won't bring him back . And injuries do happen .

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

While that maybe be the case, as well as Harden getting spot up minutes at the 4 as well, being realistic, we know Harden will be playing 35+ minutes again, Ariza likely close to 35, and Brewer 25.

Even if we can get Ariza and Harden to spot up 15 minutes at the 4, it's likely those 15 minutes on the wing will likely go to either Thornton or Papanikolaou(if still a Rocket). In order for KJ to get time, he will have to have a outbreak season and win minutes away from Ariza, Brewer, Thornton and possibly Papa/Terry.

I just don't see the use for KJ outside of being a trade piece, unless we plan on trading Brewer or Ariza this year.

12. seeingred

seeingred Member

agree. There are some diminishing returns with Bev's playing time and i think anything over 30 mpg is too much. As for "back up PG" we just need someone to guard the other team's PG. As you say, that can certainly be brewer or McDaniels. As for back up playmaker, that will have to fall to Thornton and DMo as it currently stands. Thornton making plays off the pick and roll and DMo from the post.

13. basketballholic

Hmmmmmm. I'm thinking Dekker gets minutes at the 4.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think dmo , jones , Harrell , papa , and probably Trevor all get shots at the 4 before dekker . I'm not saying dek at 4 won't happen , but it probably won't this season . Unless jones , Harrell , papa all fail miserably at backing up DMO . Or if there are signifacant injury problems .

15. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Haha.

Honestly I'm disappointed in the Josh Smith move & I think a lot more came into play with not signing him but I really love K.J. McDaniels game. I think he's worth a 3 year gamble. He has the tools to develop to a nice player. He reminds me a lot of Andre Iguodala.

16. rocketseagles07

Brewer can't guard the opposing teams 1. I love brew but I don't know where this thought that he's a good defender comes from... if he's not getting a steal he's over committing and all over the place

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

You might be right but it doesn't make it the right move. I don't see Brewer's contract to be very trade-able. If his play matches his contract, the Rox are better off keeping him. Ariza's contract is trade-able but he is arguably the best defender on the team and one of the best outside shooters. Like I said before, if this was the plan they should have signed Brewer for cheaper or to a 1 year contract.

If Brewer > KJ, then KJ's contract might be too expensive to trade
    If KJ > Brewer, then Brewer's contract might be too expensive to trade
    Honestly I would rather have Dekker (barring injury) as the insurance instead of KJ. Cheaper and better shooter.

18. Coach E

Coach E Member

There is no such thing as a "4" or a "3".

There only are tasks that need to be done, score, rebound, shoot, etc....

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I never got all of the hype surrounding McDaniels. I hope its something i missed.

20. PointZero

PointZero Member

Mind posting his stats in those 22 minutes game?

Sucks.

Rockets get to the West Finals and Morey says, "Time to Rebuild!"