1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG's Reliance on Starters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketfan20, Apr 29, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

JVG's Reliance on Starters

Van Gundy did a great job this season holding the team together through all the injuries this season. There were doubts about whether we'd even make the playoffs and winning home court advantage in the first round seemed almost impossible.

But part of the way he achieved that was by relying on a short rotation that he was sure he could count on. He hates players making mistakes, and those deep in the rotation never got a chance to develop.

Our bench is getting killed this series, but how much of this is JVG's fault because he didn't give them enough minutes?

His decision to not let Bonzi rejoin the team is not looking so great either. We basically have two players that can create their own shot, but that's about it.

Do you think Van Gundy's reliance on a short rotation during the regular season is costing us now?

2. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

No.

I think it's the decade of bad drafting and personnell moves.

If you look at the playoffs, Mavericks are out. Phoenix looks very strong. They have a more talented roster than us . They could have used a 9-10 man rotation during the season, but they only used a 6-7.5 man rotation, and they are doing great. Six players!?

LOL

#2 Mordo, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  3. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

Not as such. I think his short rotation is more of a result of him having a limited offensive plan. This plan worked quite well through the season. The injuries didn't help and limited his risk-taking although we ended up with a very decent season record.

The short rotation is only a "what-if" that we have left due to it not being tried. But under JVG I think that if he had players on the bench that he was willing to play, they would be players to run the exact same offensive plan leaving us in the same state.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I could not disagree with you more, it is trading away good draft picks or not developing them by having them waste away on the bench.

How good would Boki look right now on the Rockets? He would have gotten to this point in his career sooner if he had gotten a chance to play in the games.

Same with V-Span......JVG does not play anyone that is outside of his comfort zone....if your game fits into his scheme, you play, but if your game is a little different and makes JVG uncomfortable, you won't play.

He would have never played Manu.......too risky......yet Manu developed and got his confidence and now is an integral part of the Spurs.

V-Span....he sits. Boki - he lights it up in the playoffs for someone else's team.

DD

5. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

I agree DD. It's the bad personel decisions and drafting.

Richard Jefferson and 2 draft picks for Eddie Griffin? That's the most memorable one.

Signing Piatkowski, Derek Anderson, Torraye Braggs, Rybo, and Swift?

#5 Mordo, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  6. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Please explain to me sir how that is relevant now-so Rockets choking in a series with Utah - is Rudy T's fault??????? Gonna blame Francis too?

What has the Griffin trade got to do with anything now?

This is reaching unless I am just not getting it.....

7. anitasri

anitasri Member

I have a distinct feeling that if we dont get out of the first round this time- JVG will not be coaching in Houston. I hate this to happen, he gave us an identity- but his hard headedness is costing us.

I am not suggesting we let thugs in take over the team- but some of his decisions are a function of "tunnel vision".

Luther head and Rafer just dont match up in Playoff situations. And JVG's decision to play Lucas before V Span, smacks of vendetta. If the problem with luther and rafer was speed and height- how exactly does Lucas help?

8. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Great post DaDakota- I could not agree more. Boki is having that last laugh now.

It is painful seeing Boozer and Fischer laughing at our team now.

We have got to pull together and beat Utah ha ha ha!

9. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I do not get why he is playing Lucas- it does seem vindictive toward Spanoulis.

I do think Van Gundy gets 3 year extension no matter what....

10. sun12

sun12 Member

Without trading Boki away, Rox never even got a chance to play Dallas and blow up in the game 7 against Dallas 2 years ago.

But you know what, that would actually be great because Rox would have a higher draft position.

The most damage JVG has done is to make this team overachieve. As a result, Rox has not been able to accumulate better asset.

Think about it, if JVG was not the coach last year, Rox would crash even further might end up with a top 3 pick, Rox would then pick Roy, think how he might help.

JVG is too good for this team!

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Over Acheive??
    Talk about low expectations

Rocket River