1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG on the Lowe Post

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, May 16, 2016.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Anything Rockets related?

3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

10 minutes in and they've only talked about OKC-GS so far:(

4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

First 20 minutes all OKC-GS

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

:mad:First 30 minutes all OKC-GS

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

JVG: "One of the jobs of a head coach is to try to sell a vision... It's [upon] the players to voluntarily cooperate with the vision "

7. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Nothing about HC vacancies.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Nothing specifically on the Rockets. Something interesting is he seems to value Batum greatly. He and Lowe seem to prefer him to Derozan. He believes Batum will get a max and Whiteside will get a max. If KD is a pipe dream and doesn't happen, Does adding Batum and Horford create a championship level team? This off-season is going to be fascinating.

9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

He has clearly given a large amount of thought to deciphering the Warriors

Could come in very handy if we can successfully retool this summer

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He is a basketball junkie - of course he is spending his time trying to decipher the best team of all time.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I think people here are underestimating how much he has learned in his years as a broadcaster. Kerr has talked about it quite a bit.

1 person likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am sure JVG has talked to Hornets coach Steve Clifford many times and gotten plenty of details on Batum. Batum is pretty valuable in that he can play multiple positions and is a 2 way player. So if you are going to throw money at someone, better someone like him than a 1 dimensional player.

I am not a Derozan fan. His offensive game is just too inefficient.

I don't know if adding Batum and Horford to a Harden lead team makes it a championship level team. But it would certainly help elevate the team's talent level greatly. And those guys have the ability to play big and smallball so they are versatile.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This. taking time out of coaching doesn't mean you stop learning about the best ways to maximize success in the NBA. From Van Gundy's vantage point, he may actually have had more time than he otherwise would have to study new innovative approaches and see what has worked for a variety of teams and personnel scenarios. Obviously some of that you do on the fly as a coach, but during the season you only have time to concentrate on your next opponent. I don't look at his time away from the bench as a determent. It might actually end up being a benefit, as rocketpower2 points out.

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I think it just isn't as apparent as something like what Thibs did going around and visiting teams practices

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have to love how JVG sees the game. I think he clearly is far better analyst than Lowe

16. dmoneybangbang

I think we would have a Clippers-esque type ceiling with those additions. I would love to add those players, but in order to truly compete we need a solid second offensive option and/or secondary ball handler.

KJ/Bev/Goudlock
    Harden/KJ/Bev?
    Batum/Beasley/KJ
    Harrell/DMo/Beasley
    Horford/Capela/Dmo

That can be a very potent, versatile roster on both ends of the floor with a good coaching staff. However, adding a Lou Williams type of guard will make the offense less Harden dependent and Harden would be able to play a more complete game. We have a log jam at the PF spot we could use to bolster the guard spot.

17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

And Lowe is probably the best analyst out there who wasn't a coach:eek:

18. dmoneybangbang

Love the Lowe Post, a great listen.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, they aren't even close to being the best team of all time.

I hear ya though. :)

20. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

JVG has had a hard-on for Batum for a while.

Defensively, he's got great tools. Vastly underrated playmaker, and can defend 1-3 pretty easily.

I'd be very happy if we got him, but not ONLY if we got him. He's a complimentary piece, certainly an upgrade over Ariza but not worth $10M-$15M more PLUS no one else coming here.

We need a legit #2 option, and a #3 option. I don't want us to get a 3rd option and sell him as a 2nd option.

No way, not as long as I'm here!