1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG on Steve Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by superjhou, Jun 17, 2012.

1. superjhou

superjhou Member

"If I have one regret from when I coached Steve Francis, it was that I tried to change too much too soon." Thoughts?

2. superjhou

superjhou Member

In context, this was during the NBA Finals Game 3 when he was making a comparison between Westbrook and Francis.

3. amaru

amaru Member

I was watching the game as well. I didn't follow the Rockets enough back then to really comment on that.

4. jc9495

jc9495 Member

Didn't he only coach him for one season and then Carroll Dawson shipped him to Orlando for T Mac and Juwan Howard.?

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Are you a bandwagoner? Only started following the Rockets in our glory day of the late 2000's.

6. Matt_Maloney

Matt_Maloney Rookie

Obviously he is not a bandwagoner if he still watches the Rockets, considering we haven't been so great as of late...or he's a kid. Why you hatin?

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

lol I was just joking. I thought that "glory days" should have given it away.

8. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Haha. I don't even think people jumped on the rox bandwagon when we had tmac and Yao.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

China says whats up.

Plus I think a lot of people did because T-mac at one point was being compared to Kobe and people would get into long arguments about T-mac being better or Kobe as hard as that is to believe now.

With that said I think there is some truth to this. Franchise was a really exciting and talented player. You look at the great PG prospects we have in the league today and Francis skill wise stacks up.

10. underrated015

underrated015 Member

steve was pickup balln with rudy t. jvg hated that from the beginning , wanted the ball to run through yao.

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I loved Francis when he was a rocket, but he frustrated the hell out of me. It was a turnover waiting to happen if he tried to pass on the break and his basketball IQ was next to VY's wunderlich score.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Steve was watching, he'd be all "NOW you tell me, Jeff!"

13. amaru

amaru Member

I don't think I'm a bandwagoner.I have been following the Rockets for 8 years, ever since McGrady was traded here.

LOL @ the Rockets having a bandwagon.....I'm just here for the 14th pick BABY!!! :cool:

14. conquistador#11

does that mean he regrets trading for tmac to soon?

15. David Stern

David Stern Member

Interesting comment by jvg. Stevie had has faults before JVG came into the fold in Houston but he also was a more explosive scorer before JVG. As the previous poster said JVG wanted the offense to run through Yao. But in my there was enough shots to go around. IIRC Stevie's fg % went down across the board (2pt, 3pts, fts).

JVG demanded too much change from Steve too quickly and when he failed to become that player they looked to deal him for tmac. IMO if rudy didnt get cancer Steve would have stayed in Houston and he would still be in the NBA today.

16. amaru

amaru Member

Why isn't "Basketball Reasons" your sig? :confused:

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The key is "too soon." Westbrook's game is more like Kobe's than Francis's. Francis wasn't as good a midrange shooter as Westbrook.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He tried to put a square peg in a round hole. ( 1 vs. 2)

19. David Stern

David Stern Member

Have you stopped beating your wife?

3 people like this.
  20. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to just not make a comment than to comment that you don't have a comment?